Monday, March 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Fishercat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Fishercat »

Infuriating wagers from the two guys on FJ. A rational wager from either of them wins the game.

Very tough FJ. I went Groucho, not even the right group.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

ElendilPickle wrote:All I could think for FJ was Yellowhair.
Makes two of us.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
I thought Insect for $600 was HUGE negbait since "social insect" + "Sting" always leads to bee. Ants can sting?!? Saw no way to get wasp or cockroach.
I think the word "farm" was in the ant clue (as in ant farm).
Thought I'd run Maps, but I couldn't decipher what $600 was asking and WAGged "dashed line". Also, Mapquest wasn't the slightest bit obvious to me. I have never used Mapquest in my life — I used to use Yahoo! Maps, then went straight to Google Maps.
I used to use mapquest, but then it became a big pain in the neck to use and switched to google maps, but did get this clue right.

The heck do bears have to do with Switzerland?
The capital of Switzerland is Bern. St. Bernards are associated with the Alps. So what else could it be but a bear?

I thought of the Marx Brothers but never the Stooges. Wrote down Yellowhair as that is a nickname for Custer I've heard.

The champ's all in bet wasn't bad as he had to bet $4,400 to cover a rational bet by the other guy. Though if he had stuck with that amount, he'd have gotten an extra $1,000.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Could I kindly request that someone post the FJ wagers? My tape cut off just as Nancy's wager was about to be revealed. Also: We still have yet to have a repeating champion since Arthur was defeated. This has lasted almost as long as Arthur's reign itself.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Yeah, I could have thought about that FJ for a decade and not gotten it. I think I've only seen a picture of Custer once in my life, and I was stuck on Abbott and Costello for the comedy group. And of course Crazy Horse was never photographed.

Tough game for me overall - only got 16/30 in DJ.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
TryingHarder
Contributor

Post by TryingHarder »

I got Curly. If anybody has ever seen a picture of Custer it is an apt nickname.

The bear is a symbol of Bern, Switzerland. If you have ever seen a toblerone, which is from Bern, it has a bear hidden in the Matterhorn.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
I thought Insect for $600 was HUGE negbait since "social insect" + "Sting" always leads to bee. Ants can sting?!? Saw no way to get wasp or cockroach.
I think the word "farm" was in the ant clue (as in ant farm).
Ah, I didn't process it correctly. I thought it meant that they were found at the kind of farm you find a farmer at.
Bamaman wrote:The capital of Switzerland is Bern. St. Bernards are associated with the Alps. So what else could it be but a bear?
Not following. Lots of words sound like other words, that doesn't mean they're related. Didn't help that I actually noticed "hey, they didn't say the capital" but thought the capital was Geneva.
zakharov wrote:Tough game for me overall - only got 16/30 in DJ.
I had 19/30 and that was a very good DJ! round for me.
TryingHarder wrote:The bear is a symbol of Bern, Switzerland. If you have ever seen a toblerone, which is from Bern, it has a bear hidden in the Matterhorn.
I eat Toblerone frequently, and never noticed this.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

thenextofken wrote:Could I kindly request that someone post the FJ wagers? My tape cut off just as Nancy's wager was about to be revealed. Also: We still have yet to have a repeating champion since Arthur was defeated. This has lasted almost as long as Arthur's reign itself.
jeff hasn't gotten to it yet, but Nancy bet $10,401 and won with $2,799, the others bet everything ($11,800 and $6,400).
WilliamPorygon
Contributor

Post by WilliamPorygon »

So, my thought process through Final Jeopardy!:

- Custer and Crazy Horse had nicknames? That's news to me.
- May as well focus on 1930s comedy acts then. Laurel and Hardy? Abbott and Costello? Maybe it's "Who," like who's on first? Maybe that would work for Crazy Horse, but I don't get any logical way Custer would be nicknamed "Who"... "Who" is a character rather than a member of the act anyway, so that's probably wrong...
- The Three Stooges perhaps? Larry, Moe, Shemp, Curly... The first two aren't really nicknames... Shemp could be a nickname, but what meaning could it possibly have to be applied to those other two? Curly? Well, it's a nickname...
- Oh gee, there's only a few seconds left. I could go the TPH route and leave it blank, but I'm smart enough to get the concept that a non-answer has the same penalty as a wrong answer in Final and Daily Doubles, so there's no reason not to guess. *scribbles down "What is Curly" followed by as many extraneous Watson-style question marks as I can jot in the remaining couple seconds*
- (while Alex is revealing the responses) There's no way Curly is right.
- (when Alex gives the correct response) Holy s***, Curly was right?!?!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Fishercat wrote:Infuriating wagers from the two guys on FJ. A rational wager from either of them wins the game.

Very tough FJ. I went Groucho, not even the right group.
I agree with Bamaman, Joe's bet is defensible; Derek's is not.
Nancy Akerman: $13,200-$10,401=$2,799
Derek Arnold: $11,800-$11,800=$0
Joe Morse: $6,400-$6,400=$0
Derek needs to be at least $1,000 to cover Joe, so he might as well bet at least $1,400 to cover a possible $0 wager from the leader, therefore on a miss he is likely to drop to $10,400 or below. If Joe considers this, then he needs to bet at least $4,000 to give himself a chance to win on a rational wager by Derek. Betting $4,000 and missing drops him to $2,400, and since Nancy's MSBIW score is $2,799, I have no issue with Joe just betting it all here to maximize his chances of winning on a get.

Now sure, if Joe has watched as many games as many of us, he could have foreseen the suicidal all-in wager from second, and bet something between $0 and $3,600, leading to victory. I certainly don't blame a player for not making this assumption. Joe's big mistake was going to the top of the last category, when he should have been trying to find the last daily double, which turned out to be in the $1200 box. After that mistake, he was pretty fortunate just to have a chance to win in FJ, due to Derek missing the DD and Joe picking up the final $2000 clue.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Odd FJ. It was a reluctant Instaget for me, because I connected "Curly" of the Three Stooges with the long hair of Custer... two out of three, and it seemed okay, and I went with my gut....

However...

Later I spent some time on St. Google, and I found a number of nicknames for Custer --- from Hardbutt to Ringlets --- and I didn't see a source for Curly. I'm sure it must be out there, but I couldn't find it.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Frustrating FJ for me. I knew it had something to do with Custer's hair, but I couldn't get further than coming up with "Goldilocks".
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

I said Curly right away, too, based on the various reasons y'all have iterated. (Perhaps the same J! Writer who researched the "doodle" = "dude" clue wrote this one?)
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

BADuBois wrote: Later I spent some time on St. Google, and I found a number of nicknames for Custer --- from Hardbutt to Ringlets --- and I didn't see a source for Curly. I'm sure it must be out there, but I couldn't find it.
"Custer acquired a few more nicknames while at West Point; "Cinnamon", owing to the cinnamon scented oils he used on his hair which he wore longer than most; "Curly", again because of his naturally but gently twisting locks; and "Fanny", which to this day has not been solidly documented."

http://www.general-custer.com/index.php ... demy-years

Not sure what kind of source you're looking for.
jeopardyhopeful
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyhopeful »

Ha. I wonder what the preferred scent is for the WP cadets/caddettes these days?
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

soxfan99 wrote:For FJ, I had no idea of the nickname of Custer or Crazy Horse, but went to the three stooges for the comedy group, and figured Curly was more likely of a nickname than Moe or Larry. I wonder if this was a situation of the writers having a clue in their head, then trying to find other examples to flesh it out. Though Crazy Horse is nicknamed Curly, with a quick Google search, I couldn't find any references to Custer as "Curly," even when searching -scout -crow.
Apparently, he was called "Ringlets" though. As well as "Old Iron Butt". There is a newspaper article http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 79,5810988 with at least one "Curly" reference. But this whole connection seems rather tenuous. I think the writers figured if he was called "Ringlets", he was called "Curly" (directly or indirectly). Although I would prefer more extant historical examples of widespread usage before I would accept "Curly" as indexing Custer.
Last edited by UiscePreston on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

thenextofken wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:All I could think for FJ was Yellowhair.
Makes two of us.
Me three.

I knew the "Faith, Hope and [Agape]" clue would be a trap. Nearly every translation other than the KJV renders the third term as love rather than charity. That ambiguity knocks the clue down to below the usual J! standard.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Granted, I only spent half a second thinking about it, but "Longhair" I definitely remembered for Custer from "Son of the Morning Star", and it sounded good enough for Sitting Bull that to think for about it twenty-nine and a half seconds longer seemed like a sad waste of life.
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

UiscePreston wrote:
soxfan99 wrote:For FJ, I had no idea of the nickname of Custer or Crazy Horse, but went to the three stooges for the comedy group, and figured Curly was more likely of a nickname than Moe or Larry. I wonder if this was a situation of the writers having a clue in their head, then trying to find other examples to flesh it out. Though Crazy Horse is nicknamed Curly, with a quick Google search, I couldn't find any references to Custer as "Curly," even when searching -scout -crow.
Apparently, he was called "Ringlets" though. As well as "Old Iron Butt". There is a newspaper article http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 79,5810988 with at least one "Curly" reference. But this whole connection seems rather tenuous. I think the writers figured if he was called "Ringlets", he was called "Curly". Although I would prefer more extant examples of widespread usage before I would accept "Curly" with Custer.
There's this, too (although I have no idea where their sources are -- and they use "Curley"):

http://mentalfloss.com/article/18933/qu ... le-bighorn
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

esrever wrote:Picked up Lach trash: "bel paese", "charity" and "LeRoy Neiman"
Maybe it's just my wasted youth, but I only know Leroy Neiman for one thing, and one thing only, the Femlin. (And yes, my age in the other thread is correct, my dad had a rather extensive collection of Playboys going back to the early 1960s when I was a teenager. No *way* a teenaged boy wasn't going to peek at those every chance he got! (Although, my intellectual geekery was showing then, while I did appreciate the, umm, main foci of the magazine, I did read and enjoy several of the articles as well. I must be the only teenaged boy in history to say that.))
TenPoundHammer wrote:I could've stared at "GORP" for a month and never come up with "raisins and peanuts".
My time as a Cub Scout leader this past year paid off in this category. (Heck, I'm typing this wearing my leader's uniform, as Cub meetings are Monday nights). However, I'd never heard of "GORP" either and WAGged "roughage and protein". Probably the best wrong answer, I'd say.
TenPoundHammer wrote:The heck do bears have to do with Switzerland?
I thought that might be a YEKIOYD (You Either Know It Or You Don't, a yecky-oid as Learned League calls it) - I knew it from Bern's flag (that's sitting not that far from me as I type this) - yup, erect bear penis and all. Those Europeans and their lax attitudes about nudity! (Interesting fact, the city of New Bern, NC decided to adopt the flag of Bern, Switzerland as their flag as well, as an homage to their namesake, with one important exception: the bear on New Bern's flag had a penectomy.))

thenextofken wrote:We still have yet to have a repeating champion since Arthur was defeated. This has lasted almost as long as Arthur's reign itself.
If this isn't proof that Arthur's method works better than the Old Method (tm) for success in J!, I don't know what is. You may know that, for example, the 1960 Kennedy-Nixon debate took place in Chicago, or even how to correctly identify a two-thirds situation, but if you can't see why you're not doing as well as Arthur did, then maybe one-and-done is your fate. (Having said that, I know there are many factors at play, and I make no claims myself of even hoping to win my first game, let alone go on an Arthur-esque run, but a big factor of why Arthur won 12 games and those guys didn't was his technique.)

Missed FJ, but this may be because I'm not a Three Stooges fan by any stretch of the imagination. (Never "got" them.) I am, however, a huge Marx Brothers fan, and WAGged Groucho, fully expecting any Marx nickname to be wrong.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012