ToC players: how much warning did you get?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RunDMH

Re: ToC players: how much warning did you get?

Post by RunDMH »

econgator wrote:
alietr wrote:Would travel insurance really cover that? I've heard they're pretty tough to collect on.
Highly unlikely. They basically only cover sickness/hospitalization/death/natural disaster of biblical proportions.
Looks like I started a whole thing here. "Travel Insurance" wasn't the correct phrase I guess--I should have said "Trip Protection" through my booking website.

And @GoodStrategy, my fiancee has promised not to murder me should I have to cancel our honeymoon--so I'll definitely be going if given the chance. My shows aired the week after the last ToC so I'm anxious enough already without having to wait an additional 18 months!
They don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~ Oscar Gamble
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

RunDMH wrote:I checked in with Maggie a few weeks ago. I had the same concerns as Sarah regarding travel--I'm getting married in June and August is the only time we had available for a honeymoon.

Her response was...vague. I didn't care to know when exactly the ToC was, just that if there was a chance it would be in August to please suggest not to buy plane tickets to Europe. She responded first that it would likely be before my wedding in June, but quickly corrected herself that she meant "June 2015". I assumed she was just throwing out an absurdly distant date to cover her bases, so I dropped the issue. No comment on a late-summer/early-fall taping, but I have to imagine that's the safest bet.

I'm still freaking out about the possibility of being stuck with an expensive vacation I won't be taking--so I bought travel insurance on everything I could and am praying they don't film until September.
I found the same thing, I told Maggie that we'd like to schedule a trip for the summer or fall and asked roughly when to expect ToC to happen in order to schedule around it, then got a vague answer about it having not been scheduled yet. My husband and I got married last summer (day before my audition!), decided not to leave the country while my mom was sick and had planned to take our honeymoon this summer instead, but we decided to postpone again based on the uncertainty of ToC.

Congrats on the wedding!
RunDMH

Post by RunDMH »

sarah0114 wrote:
RunDMH wrote:I checked in with Maggie a few weeks ago. I had the same concerns as Sarah regarding travel--I'm getting married in June and August is the only time we had available for a honeymoon.

Her response was...vague. I didn't care to know when exactly the ToC was, just that if there was a chance it would be in August to please suggest not to buy plane tickets to Europe. She responded first that it would likely be before my wedding in June, but quickly corrected herself that she meant "June 2015". I assumed she was just throwing out an absurdly distant date to cover her bases, so I dropped the issue. No comment on a late-summer/early-fall taping, but I have to imagine that's the safest bet.

I'm still freaking out about the possibility of being stuck with an expensive vacation I won't be taking--so I bought travel insurance on everything I could and am praying they don't film until September.
I found the same thing, I told Maggie that we'd like to schedule a trip for the summer or fall and asked roughly when to expect ToC to happen in order to schedule around it, then got a vague answer about it having not been scheduled yet. My husband and I got married last summer (day before my audition!), decided not to leave the country while my mom was sick and had planned to take our honeymoon this summer instead, but we decided to postpone again based on the uncertainty of ToC.

Congrats on the wedding!
Thanks! You as well!

At least by waiting you'll now be able to supersize your honeymoon with your winnings (at least that's my plan). Hopefully everything comes out our way and we'll both make it to the ToC!
They don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~ Oscar Gamble
MFalk
KJL #152

Post by MFalk »

Budphrey wrote:I don't know if this is unique to my status "on the bubble," but IIRC the contestant coordinators gave me first warning about two months in advance of taping. During February 2006 I was advised I was in 3rd-to-last place among qualifiers who had already taped; several weeks' worth of qualifying games had yet to be played, but they wanted me to hold the April dates open in case I was to be invited. During March I was informed of the final decision that I was to be invited only as an alternate (and of course I accepted). The games aired in May.
Same tournament as Budphrey, slightly different story: My original games taped on March 7, at the end of which Maggie told me I was on the bubble and to keep April 10-11 open. I got the "yes" call while I was waiting to catch the bus home on March 17.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

RunDMH wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:Why dont you contact someone at the show and ask them?
An email to Maggie & team is not unreasonable contact. Too bad Sarah did not ask yesterday. I could have said at the Battles taping that Alex talked about too many champs qualifying for the next TOC and that for the first time some 5-time champs would not be invited. April 2nd jokes just don't play the same.
I checked in with Maggie a few weeks ago. I had the same concerns as Sarah regarding travel--I'm getting married in June and August is the only time we had available for a honeymoon.

Bumping RunDMH's comment in light of what we now know about Julia the SuperChamp. Is it possible that, like they did with Ken, they're waiting until Julia loses to schedule the ToC, but she didn't oblige them by being kind enough to lose before the end of the season? (Idle speculation, BTW. I have no idea when or if she actually loses.)

Additional question: what were Julia's tape dates?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
RunDMH wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:Why dont you contact someone at the show and ask them?
An email to Maggie & team is not unreasonable contact. Too bad Sarah did not ask yesterday. I could have said at the Battles taping that Alex talked about too many champs qualifying for the next TOC and that for the first time some 5-time champs would not be invited. April 2nd jokes just don't play the same.
I checked in with Maggie a few weeks ago. I had the same concerns as Sarah regarding travel--I'm getting married in June and August is the only time we had available for a honeymoon.

Bumping RunDMH's comment in light of what we now know about Julia the SuperChamp. Is it possible that, like they did with Ken, they're waiting until Julia loses to schedule the ToC, but she didn't oblige them by being kind enough to lose before the end of the season? (Idle speculation, BTW. I have no idea when or if she actually loses.)

Additional question: what were Julia's tape dates?
I saw in an article somewhere that she started taping in mid-January.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
The 2004 TofC aired from 9/20-10/1/2004. Nancy Zerg's game one was taped in September. The TofC might have been taped for 2004 before Ken's loss taped.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

legendneverdies wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
The 2004 TofC aired from 9/20-10/1/2004. Nancy Zerg's game one was taped in September. The TofC might have been taped for 2004 before Ken's loss taped.
Yes, I know for a fact it did. They taped two extra weeks of shows for the next season, assuming that he'd finally lose, and they could tape the ToC. He didn't, so they went along without him.