Thursday, April 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6819, 2014-04-17

Sandie Baker game 7.

CONTESTANTS
Kristin McAuliffe, a higher-education administrator from Brighton, Massachusetts
Frédérique Delaprée, a foreign-service officer from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Sandie Baker, a translation coordinator from Eastpointe, Michigan (whose 6-day cash winnings total $140,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you, Johnny. And welcome, everyone, to our program. They train 'em well in Michigan, don't they? So far, the wheels have not come off the Sandie express. She's been playing excellently. Frédérique and Kristin, good to have you with us today. Good luck. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round, first round of play. One Daily Double in this round in one of these categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
REJECTED SUPERVILLAIN NAMES (5/5)
THE INTERSTATE HIGHWAY SYSTEM (5/5)
SAUCES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
1-CONSONANT WORDS (4/5)
MADDEN COVER MEN (5/5)
HISTORIC DAYS (5/5) (Alex: You have to name the most important event, generally acknowledged, for that particular day.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kristin: 14 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Sandie: 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Frédérique: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sandie found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Sandie had $2,200, Frédérique had $800, and Kristin was at $3,600. Sandie wagered $1,200.

SAUCES $600: One story says the French came up with this sauce to imitate a buttery one brought with a visiting Dutch king

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sandie: $4,400
Kristin: $3,600
Frédérique: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kristin McAuliffe is from Massachusetts, and in high school had
a summer job doing what?

Kristin: I ran a theater group for children in my backyard, and it was called Backyard Stars. And I had about between 15 and 20 kids each summer, and they would come to my house for rehearsals twice a week. And at the end of the summer, we would put together a show. Had an audience, and it was all run out of my backyard. It was a great summer job.

Alex: I bet that all of their parents loved you, because you were lookingg after them two days a week, right?

Kristin: Now that I have a child of my own, I was like, "Ooh, I could've charged more." [laughter]

Alex: Yeah. You bet.

Alex: Frédérique Delaprée from Ottawa, where I went to university. You and I have something else in common. We have both visited Macchu Picchu.

Frédérique: Yes.

Alex: I got there by train from Cusco. You took a different route.

Frédérique: Yeah, I went the hard way. I walked the Inca trail four days, and it was pretty difficult. I was tired, and I may have cursed a few times before I made it to the Sun Gate. But once you get there, it's such a beautiful view.

Alex: Now, were you cursing in English or French?

Frédérique: Um, a little of both. [ laughter ]

Alex: Yeah. That's what I did when I was in Canada, too.

Alex: Sandie Baker, is our champion ladies and gentlemen, and, as I pointed out at the beginning of the program, she's been doing very, very well. But she practiced. She got ready for her appearance on our show. And what did you do to get ready?

Sandie: Well, it really helped to read a couple of books by guys who won a lot of shows on this show. I read Ken Jennings' Brainiac, and I also read Bob Harris' book, "Adventures in Trebekistan," and it really, it did actually help because, you know, I kinda came to understand how somebody, you know, how might prepare for being on the show. I kinda did it my own way anyway, but it helped to read those books.

Alex: Good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SAUCES $800: Tabasco sauce has been made on this Louisiana salt island since the 1860s

1-CONSONANT WORDS $1000: Conrad wrote, "she seemed to know all about...me"; this kind of "feeling came over me"
(Kristin: What is déjà vu?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sandie: $8,600
Kristin: $6,800
Frédérique: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A BEASTLY CATEGORY (1/4)
COMPOSERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CELEBRITY EPITAPHS (5/5)
WIND (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LITERARY TITLE CHARACTERS (5/5)
THAT'S THE "WAY" (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kristin: 9 R, 1 W
Sandie: 8 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Frédérique: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sandie snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Sandie had $9,800, Frédérique had $1,200, and Kristin was at $8,000. Sandie wagered $2,000.

COMPOSERS $1600: In 1727 this German composer became a naturalized British subject under George I

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Frédérique who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Sandie had $13,400, Frédérique had $6,800, and Kristin was at $11,200. Frédérique wagered $2,200.

WIND $2000: A common scale of wind velocities was devised in 1805 by Sir Francis Beaufort of this military group
(Frédérique: What is the British army?)
(Alex: Oh...close, but no cigar...the [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A BEASTLY CATEGORY $800: These predators of the tropics can mass in huge numbers and turn much larger animals into their prey

A BEASTLY CATEGORY $1200: A 2013 study finds the mouth cooties of this carrion eater aren't lethal, as was thought
(Alex: Ah, that cute guy is a [*].)

A BEASTLY CATEGORY $1600: Its long arms allow it to move with great agility through the treetops
(Kristin: What is a chimpanzee?)

WIND $1200: Some of these 3-bladed modern-day windmills are designed for extra-breezy areas
(Alex: Those are those big [*]...electricity generating.)

WIND $1600: Also the name of a Volkswagen model, it's a hot African desert wind that can blow all the way to Europe
(Sandie: What is a Tuareg?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sandie: $15,400
Kristin: $13,200
Frédérique: $6,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY PRESIDENTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Sandie: Wager $11,001 to cover Kristin.
Kristin: Try wagering $799, which is as much as you can put up against Sandie without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Frédérique.
Frédérique: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Kristin, but if Kristin decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $1,800.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Good looks weren't enough as he became the only full-term president rejected in a bid for his party's 2nd term nomination

FINAL SCORES
Frédérique: $6,200 - $0 = $6,200 (Who is Grover Cleveland?) (New champion: $6,200)
Kristin: $13,200 - $13,199 = $1 (Who is Martin van Buren?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Sandie: $15,400 - $11,100 = $4,300 (Who was Andrew Jackson?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: He was known by the nickname "Handsome Frank.")

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sandie: $14,400, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Kristin: $13,200, 23 R, 2 W
Frédérique: $8,400, 8 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $36,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Kristin: 23/58 = .397
Sandie: 20/60 = .333
Frédérique: 8/59 = .136
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE INTERSTATE HIGHWAY SYSTEM $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew stands next to a map of the U.S.) The longest interstate is I-90, which runs 3020 miles between these two large cities

THE INTERSTATE HIGHWAY SYSTEM $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew stands next to a map of the U.S.) From Los Angeles, take the I-10 transcontinental route, and you'll cross the USA all the way to this city

THE INTERSTATE HIGHWAY SYSTEM $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew stands next to a map of the eastern U.S.) Truly earning its interstate name, this highway stretches from Maine to Florida, passing through 15 states

1-CONSONANT WORDS $200: Instrument heard here
(Sandie: What is a flute?)

HISTORIC DAYS $1000: Jan, 24, 1848
(out west)
(Kristin: What is the gold rush?)
(Sandie: What is gold was discovered?)
(Alex: Where?)
(Sandie: in California.)
(Alex: Thank you.)
[Kristin's response was initially ruled as incorrect and later reversed before the Double Jeopardy! Round.]

LITERARY TITLE CHARACTERS $2000: This Sinclair Lewis title character is a real estate salesman who lives in the suburbs of the city of Zenith
(Sandie: Who is "The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit"?)

A BEASTLY CATEGORY $400: Elongated spines help these creatures reach their incredible speeds

THAT'S THE "WAY" $2000: A certain amount of freedom; or punningly, the method of movie director Ang
[end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
hollandaise sauce
Avery Island
eerie
Handel
British Navy
army ants
Komodo dragon
gibbon
wind turbines
sirocco
Franklin Pierce
Boston and Seattle
Jacksonville
I-95
oboe
gold discovered in California
(George) Babbitt
cheetahs
leeway
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

19th Century Presidents
Good looks weren't enough as he became the only full-term President rejected in a bid for his party's 2nd term nomination.

Spoiler
Who is Franklin Pierce? Frederique said Grover Cleveland; Kristin said Martin Van Buren; Sandie said Andrew Jackson.

Sandie Baker: $15,400-$11,100=$4,300
Kristin McAuliffe: $13,200-$13,199=$1
Frederique Delapree: $6,200-$0=$6,200...now a 1-day champion with $6,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Somewhere I remembered he was considered to be handsome and was able to pull out FJ. But if you don't know that fact, it was pretty much a guessing game. At least Kristen guessed a one term president.

But Kristen's sports knowledge and knowledge of how long Martin Van Buren served were overshadowed by her poor wagering skills. Sandie rounding up her bet was predictable, I wonder how she would have bet from second place.

Sorry to see the Sandie go, but she'll be back for the TOC.

I don't know if the new champ just had a bad draw with a superchamp and another strong player or she just had first day jitters, but I don't see her lasting long. Weak bet on a DD while trailing badly and betting nothing on FJ, though both decisions wound up saving her.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Good to see that my voodoo doll made out of Alex and Maggie's hair still works...
esrever

Post by esrever »

Great run by Sandie! Sorry to see her go.

Picked up Lach trash: "Avery Island", "army ants", "wind turbines", "scirocco"

Didn't get FJ.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

When "aioli" was mentioned at the top of the Sauce category, I briefly thought we were in the "one consonant" category.

I'm glad that the neg was reversed on the "gold rush" response. I was surprised to hear it negged at the time. I wasn't sure how specific an answer they were going for. I was prepared to mention Sutter's Mill, but I also thought they might be OK with something less specific than that (which, as it turns out, they were).

I didn't love that Rejected Supervillains category. And it's not sour grapes per se, because I actually ran the category. But some of those clues were unsatisfying. At $400, I was like, "Is 'Dishwasher' all they're going for?" I mean, I suppose anything of the form "nounverber" kind of vaguely sounds like it could be a supervillain or superhero name (rainmaker, dragonslayer, etc.) but I just found it a little weak somehow. ("Pomeranian" seems even weaker. Is it just "long word ending in '-anian' sounds like it could be a noun describing a person"?)

There were a few clues in the DJ round that I definitely would have gotten on a DD, but would have been slightly hesitant to ring in. Komodo, Gibbon, and Sirocco. Depending on how quickly I said them, I was unsure how to score them at home.

I got this FJ, but I thought it was a little bit difficult or obscure. I did happen to know that Franklin Pierce had a reputation for being a particularly handsome president (that fact has been mentioned on Jeopardy! before in a video clue), but I didn't actually know that he was the first full-term president not to be renominated by his party.

I wrote his name down, then I tried to think about earlier one-term presidents. I thought briefly about J.Q. Adams, and tried to think about other one-term presidents from around the 1840s or so. I couldn't think of any who I knew for sure were not renominated by their party, and also none leaped to mind as really obvious examples of "handsome". I mean, not that they were ugly, either, but I couldn't think of any other presidents from that time period who might be associated with the words "good looks".

I've done the Sporcle quizzes where you have to name all the presidents just from their pictures, and done reasonably well on those. That probably gave me an advantage. I'm sure that for many people, many of the (especially one-term) 19th century presidents are just faceless names on a list.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

I guessed Franklin Pierce based on the fact that my mom always said he was the handsomest president, but I didn't have much confidence in that answer. I didn't realize he had other admirers. Did a Google image search to see what all the fuss was about:

He's no Anthony Niblett.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I got Final. I said Theodore Roosevelt at first, then realized it was 19th century presidents and switched to Pierce. It was the only answer that really stuck with me; after T.R., I never considered anyone else.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

I would have gotten this without the "handsome" reference, but because of the reference I steered to James "Bachelor" Buchanan. Second time in recent weeks that I've been off by one President; I said James Madison instead of James Monroe.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

skullturf wrote:I'm sure that for many people, many of the (especially one-term) 19th century presidents are just faceless names on a list.
I can't even reliably put Polk, Pierce, and Hayes in order. I was able to eliminate everyone but those three. I'm not sure why I chose Pierce (it wasn't exactly random, but it wasn't any solid deduction either), but hey, I'll take being right on a one-in-three guess.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Leander

Post by Leander »

No idea on FJ. 19th century presidents, except for the famous ones, are a real weakness of mine.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Sandie had a great run... congrats again. At first it seemed like she was going to have a run away, but the game sure tightened up towards the end.

FJ was an Instaget for me.... as poor old Frank came from my home state. :D
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

A few years ago, I read some biographies of the more obscure 19th-century presidents. They don't get very much more obscure than Pierce, whose biographer referred to his good looks. The biographer also called him one of the six to eight worst presidents. Ironically, James Buchanan, who defeated Pierce at the 1856 Democratic Convention, proved to be even worse.
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

There are weeks when I get discouraged from trying out for the show, because I miss numerous clues which should be obvious, and worry about humiliating myself if I ever make it.

Getting 4 consecutive TS FJs does help me say "I think I can"
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Plactus wrote: I can't even reliably put Polk, Pierce, and Hayes in order. I was able to eliminate everyone but those three. I'm not sure why I chose Pierce (it wasn't exactly random, but it wasn't any solid deduction either), but hey, I'll take being right on a one-in-three guess.
Both Polk and Hayes would have been good educated guesses. Both men honored their promise to serve only one term.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The gold rush neg was ridiculous. In fact, it would be interesting if someone collected the reversals for the week and polled whether people knew at the time it would be reversed. I certainly knew they were coming back to that one.

Sandie was 3/7 on FJs.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Dr. J wrote:Good to see that my voodoo doll made out of Alex and Maggie's hair still works...
:lol:

Another Presidents category did me in. I didn't have a clue for FJ, though I picked up a lot of trash during the game.

Congratulations to Sandie for her run on the show.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Yeah, I knew gold rush would be reversed. It was my answer too.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

To be fair to Frederique, a 0 wager is a fine wager from her position. She could have gone bigger to guard against a small Kristen bet but then she needs a single get. I think it's a credit for her.

Got FJ, studying the president's really helped but Pierce was known for his looks.