Summer Repeats

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Summer Repeats

Post by chuck5982 »

There is an extra week of re-runs this year due to starting two weeks after Labor Day, as opposed to one week after in recent years.

In addition to Watson, I think Roger Craig's second game (the one in which he set the new single-day winnings record) should be re-run. Any other games from this pasts season that you'd like to see?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Summer Repeats

Post by seaborgium »

I thought maybe the seventh week would be filled out with the 2010 ToC finals, seeing as the entire tournament has been passed over in the summer reruns to this point. (Wishful thinking, I admit.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

i hope they just run two days of the Watson games and edit out the IBM infomercial.
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

seaborgium wrote:I thought maybe the seventh week would be filled out with the 2010 ToC finals, seeing as the entire tournament has been passed over in the summer reruns to this point. (Wishful thinking, I admit.)
I would like to see that as well. To this day, I still don't understand why the the '10 ToC was cut out in favor of MDCI re-runs last summer.
Nicky
Contributor

Post by Nicky »

Stefan, I'm so sorry but it doesn't look like the TOC. If any of you recall from the season finale, Alex said the College Championship, Teen Tournament, Teachers Tournament, and the "infamous, or famous Watson IBM Challenge." That does leave two mystery episodes. Stefan, as much as I wish it were May 20 and 21, 2010, which would make sense, I think it's going to be two Kids' Week episodes from July 4 - 8, 2011.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Nicky wrote:Stefan, I'm so sorry but it doesn't look like the TOC. If any of you recall from the season finale, Alex said the College Championship, Teen Tournament, Teachers Tournament, and the "infamous, or famous Watson IBM Challenge." That does leave two mystery episodes. Stefan, as much as I wish it were May 20 and 21, 2010, which would make sense, I think it's going to be two Kids' Week episodes from July 4 - 8, 2011.
I'm sorry to say this, Nicky, but unless it's backed by research, what you think is irrelevant here.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Just saw your CT game last night (again), Erin. The look on your face when you got the Sports FJ right and realized that you'd won was priceless.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

On the College Tournament finale, aired Friday, Alex popped in at the end of the show to tell us that we will be seeing Erin again in the Tournament of Champions this fall, so there is some official confirmation that the TOC will indeed be taking place before the end of the year, likely in November as most people have assumed. Alex also said that the Teen Tournament will be shown starting Monday.

I missed this College Tournament the first time around, but I knew that Erin was going to be the winner, so I was absolutely stunned to see that Sam was the only player to get FJ right, but he underwagered by about $2,400, allowing Erin to escape with the victory. I wondered if Sam had so many numbers scrawled on his scratch paper that he accidentally wrote down the wrong one, because the wager he made, $8,400, was actually what he would have been let with had he made a wager of $10,800, which was what he needed to bet in order to win. I had those two numbers written down side by side, so when his wager was revealed, at first I thought that he had bet enough, and Erin must have gotten FJ right in order to win.

I also meant to ask after last night's game, but has it always been known that a player finishing with a negative amount in game 1 of the finals starts game 2 with $0? When Thursday's game ended with Hans in the red, I had no idea what was going to happen until Alex explained it, as apparently I've never seen that occur. Have there been many examples of this in the past, and was this rule well-known, or were people surprised by it when it came up in this College Tournament?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote:I wondered if Sam had so many numbers scrawled on his scratch paper that he accidentally wrote down the wrong one, because the wager he made, $8,400, was actually what he would have been let with had he made a wager of $10,800, which was what he needed to bet in order to win. I had those two numbers written down side by side, so when his wager was revealed, at first I thought that he had bet enough, and Erin must have gotten FJ right in order to win.
It's simpler than that: $8,401 was the "cover Hans by a dollar if he maxes out" wager.

I was in the audience, and had written the first game's scores so I could make calculations. Hans being the reason I was there (and in order to ease a nail-biting moment for his family), the first thing I did was figure out whether he had a chance to win against normal wagers. Doing so gave me Erin's cover wager and made it clear to me that Hans's best bet was either to attempt second place on a double stumper, or bet it all and clear the minimum for third if he was right.

I then calculated Sam's wager by taking Hans's max and figuring out how far he was from that. I left it like that for a couple of minutes before I realized that if Hans couldn't win on a sole get, covering him would lead to the same, nonexistent chance at victory. Then I changed Sam's wager taking into account where Erin would fall on a miss. When Sam's wager was revealed to be the same mistaken one I'd worked out, I felt bad, almost as if I had caused it.

So I say it's not a case of mixing up the numbers, but of focusing so intently on one goal (outscoring Hans on a double get) that sight is lost on a more important goal (outscoring Erin if she missed).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This was the first time someone was in the red in a tournament final and its fairness was debated at length when it happened. Nothing against Hans, but I still think it was wrong.
Glassysquid
Jeopardy 2010-B College Champion

Post by Glassysquid »

Woof wrote:Just saw your CT game last night (again), Erin. The look on your face when you got the Sports FJ right and realized that you'd won was priceless.
Nothing compared to the look on my face when I won despite missing final.

I couldn't believe that Sam had bet for second. I'm still baffled about it. I just got lucky.
Proud member of ESPRIT DE CORPS, otherwise known as the 16 fine individuals who participated in the 2010-B College Championship, and the outstanding ToC Class of 2011.
Fish/squid enthusiast and Ph. D student at the University of Rhode Island.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BTW, as long as we're discussing Friday's game here, technically Germany wasn't divided into East and West in 1945, but it was more like 1949. In 1945, Germany was one country, but governed by four nations (so a case could be made for "divided into four" at that time, although there was technically still only one Germany). It wasn't until 1949 when the Soviets decided not to play with the other children, packed up their Germany, and officially formed a new country. (BTW, I wasn't letting that technically error prevent me from getting that right, I knew right away what they were looking for)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote:This was the first time someone was in the red in a tournament final and its fairness was debated at length when it happened. Nothing against Hans, but I still think it was wrong.
It wasn't the first time. There was a tournament (either college or teen) in season 20, I believe, in which it happened, and I think a Seniors Tournament saw it happen as well.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

titantv shows Kids #2/#3 for 8/29 & 8/30. The Teachers tournament begins Wednesday the 31st with the first day, so Finals #2 would be Tuesday, Sept. 13th. That leaves Watson 1-3 for 14-16 to conclude the reruns.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:titantv shows Kids #2/#3 for 8/29 & 8/30. The Teachers tournament begins Wednesday the 31st with the first day, so Finals #2 would be Tuesday, Sept. 13th. That leaves Watson 1-3 for 14-16 to conclude the reruns.
That definitely makes sense, traditionally the TOC closed the repeats because it's the "big event", last year, the MDCI was (at least by Sony's hype, and the expected marketing). I've always been quite certain the Watson matches were this year's "big event"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

Just found this thread. Just to reclarify for Jeff (and others), we WERE told backstage before the finals began that ending the first day with a negative score would mean we'd be zero'd out for the next day. You can see on one of my last few buzzes that I have a distinct "What the hell, let's try it" face as I ring in with yet another wrong answer while I try to desperately dig my way out of the hole (which, I was surprised to find out afterwards, that I had only answered six questions incorrectly, which meant that in the entire game I was only able to ring in seven times, something that I'm still frankly baffled about to this day).

And a recongrats and hearty good luck to Erin of course ;)

Also, for Final, I was debating between a $3000 bet and an all-in bet since one option would give me more money if both me and Sam were right, but the other would give me second place if me and same both turned out wrong. Moo point in the end (although I really feel for Sam because I know that if that were me, that wagering gaffe would haunt me for the rest of my life. It's nice to know that I SOLIDLY earned third place :D )
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

The program guide on my DVR says Watson will re-run 9/12-9/14, with the two-game Teachers Tournament final airing 9/15-9/16.