Did Jeopardy schedule this year's tournaments to break up long winning streaks?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mdude04
Valued Contributor

Did Jeopardy schedule this year's tournaments to break up long winning streaks?

Post by mdude04 »

One of the noteworthy things about Arthur Chu's run was how it was broken up by two tournaments, allowing the online buzz to build and no doubt boost ratings. It gave him weeks to go on news shows, etc, to really increase the profile of Jeopardy.

Now it looks like the "air time" of Julia's record breaking run will also be inflated because of next week's tournament. If she is the 15-minutes-of-fame type, I'm sure we'll be seeing her on Good Morning America and the like next week, assuming she wins tomorrow.

I'm not a skeptic by nature, but do you think Jeopardy somehow did this intentionally? Having two extra weeks of "Jeopardy villain" headlines must have really been good for ratings. Was the battle of decades always planned to be one week a month? They can't control the regular flow of play, but they can determine when the standalone tournaments air. If anything else, it's just quite a coincidence.
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Did Jeopardy schedule this year's tournaments to break up long winning strea

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

I'm going to say no. They probably planned the tourney way in advance as they would have to get all the participants together for the games. Also, the participants games aren't interrupted by tourneys, from what I understand. Its just a coincidence that the winners had their runs interrupted as there probably was no way to predict their performance.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Re: Did Jeopardy schedule this year's tournaments to break up long winning strea

Post by MDaunt »

No.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Alex often makes remarks about the episode order, eg "we just had a tournament round last week," or mentions a holiday if the airdate falls on one. This would be impossible unless the episode schedule was set before they filmed the episodes.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
pdano
Valued Contributor

Post by pdano »

And just to wrap that up - we got Decades invites very early in season 30, well before even Arthur started taping, that set out the dates for the entire tournament.

But it did work out very favorably for Jeopardy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Maybe its just me, but if I only watched the show and did not post here, I would have been unaware of Arthur's infamous public notoriety.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Bamaman wrote:Maybe its just me, but if I only watched the show and did not post here, I would have been unaware of Arthur's infamous public notoriety.
One data point, I guess. I know I personally had several people (who knew I was on the show) bring up the "topic" of Arthur to me during his run, asking me if I had watched or what I thought about him.

It also seemed that more often than not, it was not (as far as I knew) a regular J! viewer mentioning him to me, too.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

Yeah, I heard rumblings of decades calls with dates being set a long time ago. Do you think this would be the type of show that, say, less than two weeks out from taping still tells its potential cross-country contestants to keep a 10-day window open for when they might *potentially* tape*?

*Not naming any shows here.
Golf

Post by Golf »

And yet another worthless thread started by somebody that has zero clue it spoils the results of games that some here might not have watched yet.

And since the subject itself is sort of a spoiler it really doesn't do much good to even put spoiler in the title. It should probably just be nuked.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Agreed.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

Thanks to everyone for debunking my "conspiracy theory." Jeopardy certainly wouldn't be the type of show to do this kind of thing, but I couldn't clear my mind of the sheer coincidental nature of two long-running champions both getting two extra weeks added to their "air date victory span." I'm glad that it is just a coincidence and that Jeopardy is still as pure as I thought it was. I was even starting to wonder if those Trebek intros/outros (e.g., "Next week will be such-and-such tournament") were added in post (I don't recall any of these segments ever being shown with that day's contestants in view)

P.S. Sorry for the spoiler, having posted this on Thursday before some people even had a chance to watch that day's show! Clearly I am not a board regular so my mistake 100% on the poor etiquette.
Sneezewhiz
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Sneezewhiz »

I thought that Jeopardy was taped a few weeks in advance, so the tournaments, like regular episodes, are already in the can and can be broadcast whenever the producers need them.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sneezewhiz wrote:I thought that Jeopardy was taped a few weeks in advance, so the tournaments, like regular episodes, are already in the can and can be broadcast whenever the producers need them.
Yes, but the schedule for when the special tournaments would air was set months before the games you have seen in 2014 were taped. The champs on extended runs having their games not straight through is 100% coincidence.

Those with the proper intel knew about a year ago that the BOTD was happening. The taping schedule and airdates were tentatively set more than six months ago.

People who thought the BOTD would or should run five weeks straight were always going to be incorrect. A prelim week in three different months with regular games in between was always the plan. The quarters, semis, and finals for May sweeps was not changed to make any allowances for a current winning streak to be stretched out any longer.

Look at the archive. What happens in May?
MFalk
KJL #152

Post by MFalk »

MarkBarrett wrote:The taping schedule and airdates were tentatively set more than six months ago.
August 23 with slight changes on September 19, from the contestants' perspective.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

You sheeple are so unimaginative. You think the fact that the BotD schedule has been set since last summer proves anything? That's just what The Powers That Be want you to think! They didn't schedule this year's tournaments to break up long winning streaks. They scheduled long winning streaks to be broken up by this year's tournaments! Once the BotD schedule was in place, TPTB knew exactly when to call Arthur Chu and Julia Collins in to play so that their runs would be interrupted. It's the same ploy they used with Ken Jennings and the 2004 ToC! And, once again, you all fell for it. :roll:

Rex
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Rex Kramer wrote:You sheeple are so unimaginative. You think the fact that the BotD schedule has been set since last summer proves anything? That's just what The Powers That Be want you to think! They didn't schedule this year's tournaments to break up long winning streaks. They scheduled long winning streaks to be broken up by this year's tournaments! Once the BotD schedule was in place, TPTB knew exactly when to call Arthur Chu and Julia Collins in to play so that their runs would be interrupted. It's the same ploy they used with Ken Jennings and the 2004 ToC! And, once again, you all fell for it. :roll:

Rex
Arthur was the understudy. It was Julie Singer that was the planned long runner.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Exactly. It's all explained in the pamphlet, which also includes instructions for a hat, and a sheet of aluminum foil.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

The bigger problem is that girls keep winning. Girls!
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

Rex Kramer wrote:You sheeple are so unimaginative. You think the fact that the BotD schedule has been set since last summer proves anything? That's just what The Powers That Be want you to think! They didn't schedule this year's tournaments to break up long winning streaks. They scheduled long winning streaks to be broken up by this year's tournaments! Once the BotD schedule was in place, TPTB knew exactly when to call Arthur Chu and Julia Collins in to play so that their runs would be interrupted. It's the same ploy they used with Ken Jennings and the 2004 ToC! And, once again, you all fell for it. :roll:

Rex
I'll take reductio ad absurdum for $200, Alex
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

lieph82 wrote:The bigger problem is that girls keep winning. Girls!
Did they not see the "NO GIRLS ALLOWED" sign?

"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012