Battle of The Decades Quarterfinalist Standings [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Battle of The Decades Quarterfinalist Standings [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:Tom Cubbage and Pam join a very small group of J! contestants who have twice made a semifinal round by wild card.

Pam: BotD, 2000-B College Championship
Tom: BotD, 1989 ToC
Cliff Galiher: 2007 ToC, 2007 College Championship
Leslie MIller/Shannon: M$M, 1993 ToC

If there are any others, I'm guessing they're teen, college, or senior champs whose first appearances were in unarchived tournaments (unless I just plain missed someone). (Peggy Kennedy, Ouida Rellstab, Lou Pryor, Leonard Schmidt, April McManus, Marilyn Kneeland, Phoebe Juel, and Jeff Stewart are ToC wild card semifinalists whose first tournaments I don't know about.)
You know that is the kind of post I can't ignore. I don't know about Ouisa Rellstab and her QF game. For the other 7 names only Leonard Schmidt was a wildcard in his Seniors QF. The other six won their QF games.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Thanks Mark! So Pam and Tom are #4 and #5 (going by when their BotD QF aired), and Leonard is #2 as far as we know.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

MarkBarrett wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Tom Cubbage and Pam join a very small group of J! contestants who have twice made a semifinal round by wild card.

If there are any others, I'm guessing they're teen, college, or senior champs whose first appearances were in unarchived tournaments (unless I just plain missed someone). (Peggy Kennedy, Ouida Rellstab, Lou Pryor, Leonard Schmidt, April McManus, Marilyn Kneeland, Phoebe Juel, and Jeff Stewart are ToC wild card semifinalists whose first tournaments I don't know about.)
You know that is the kind of post I can't ignore. I don't know about Ouisa Rellstab and her QF game. For the other 7 names only Leonard Schmidt was a wildcard in his Seniors QF. The other six won their QF games.
How do you know all this stuff? (Also original run airdates for champs in the season 7-9 range)
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

seaborgium wrote: Also, with Robin and Dan having made their debut that night, the O'Brien's Pub Quiz has now seen all ToC winners since 2000 but one (the exception beat a finalist who is there all the time) as competitors.
Hmm. Vijay? I can't remember if he was there after the 00's taping.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

countyguy wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

How do you know all this stuff? (Also original run airdates for champs in the season 7-9 range)
People here just happen to know minutia about 20-25(or more) year old game show episodes.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

I want to see an all-Jeopardy! version of The Experts: MarkBarrett vs. seaborgium vs. [fill in the blank].
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

Vermonter wrote:I want to see an all-Jeopardy! version of The Experts: MarkBarrett vs. seaborgium vs. [fill in the blank].
Maggie, of course.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

hanzz wrote:
Vermonter wrote:I want to see an all-Jeopardy! version of The Experts: MarkBarrett vs. seaborgium vs. [fill in the blank].
Maggie, of course.

I do not consider myself an expert on Jeopardy! I've just been a fan from the start of Trebek's run. On the 2010 TOC taping day Stefan was in for a little bit of a surprise when in green room chats he discovered just how much Vijay knew about the show, the players, and message board happenings.

hanzz: Yes, Vijay didn’t join us at O’Brien’s after the 2000s Week tapings.

If Ken Jennings does end up winning the Battle ToC, then Vijay will have exceptional company. ;)

Or did Ken go to O'Brien's some time around his original run or the UTOC? Or one of his L.A. trips on other business?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:On the 2010 TOC taping day Stefan was in for a little bit of a surprise when in green room chats he discovered just how much Vijay knew about the show, the players, and message board happenings.
Oh, it started well before the green room; I believe the first thing he said to me in the hotel lobby was to call me Samson Goodreau. When Ryan sneezed in the green room and Vijay assured him, "I won't say 'bless you,'" I knew his attention to the message board was inversely proportional to his contributions. (Hi, Vijay!)
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

seaborgium wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:On the 2010 TOC taping day Stefan was in for a little bit of a surprise when in green room chats he discovered just how much Vijay knew about the show, the players, and message board happenings.
Oh, it started well before the green room; I believe the first thing he said to me in the hotel lobby was to call me Samson Goodreau. When Ryan sneezed in the green room and Vijay assured him, "I won't say 'bless you,'" I knew his attention to the message board was inversely proportional to his contributions. (Hi, Vijay!)
Only his current contributions.

Rex
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

legendneverdies wrote:
countyguy wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

People here just happen to know minutia about 20-25(or more) year old game show episodes.
Do they simply remember all that from 20+ years ago? Or have they looked at broadcast logs?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's a combination. The Archive of course comes in very handy. I know some stuff off the top of my head. I also keep a binder within arms reach with the the players, games won, money, and grids for each TOC/Super J!/10-Year/M$M/UTOC game result. I may not open the binder daily, but not a week goes by that I don't access it for something.

Like others I've been a loyal viewer from the start of Trebek's time on the show.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

MarkBarrett wrote: I also keep a binder within arms reach with the the players, games won, money, and grids for each TOC/Super J!/10-Year/M$M/UTOC game result. I may not open the binder daily, but not a week goes by that I don't access it for something.
Like Mitt Romney's binder full of women!
Sheepin' it real.