Friday, May 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6835, 2014-05-09

Battle of the Decades quarterfinal game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Colby Burnett, an AP world history teacher from Chicago, Illinois
Mark Dawson, a writer and editor for the Honda Campus All-Star Challenge from Chamblee, Georgia
Chuck Forrest, an attorney for the UN IFAD from Marino, Italy

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hi, folks. Welcome aboard.
Not only are these three players --Colby, Mark, and Chuck --Jeopardy! champions, they are all winners of our Tournament of Champions In the past.
So, gentlemen, good luck.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SOUTH AMERICAN WILDLIFE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IT SOUNDS LIKE A LETTER (5/5)
THAT '70s SHOW (5/5)
SHERLOCK HOLMES STORIES (2/5)
YOU HAD ONE JOB! (3/5)
FASHION "P"IECES (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Chuck: 12 R, 0 W
Mark: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Colby: 2 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Chuck: $2,000
Mark: $1,200
Colby: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back, ladies and gentlemen. Colby Burnett, high-school world-history teacher who has never lost a game he has played and has already figured out how he's gonna spend some money, whatever he earns in this Battle of the Decades. Where are you going to go?
Colby: Well, let's see. My plan was to visit the Scottish highlands. I've always been enamoured with the U.K., Burnett's a Scottish name, so I felt, "well, might as well check out my roots, wherever they may be."
Alex: And are you going to walk the Scottish highlands or tour by car?
Colby: A little bit of both.
Alex: Yeah? Okay, it's a great place.

Alex: Mark Dawson, writer and editor from Georgia. Currently writes and edits questions for what?
Mark: The Honda Campus All-Star Challenge. It's a program for historically black colleges and universities. It's an academically based program where it's a game, and they've been doing it now for 25 years. We just finished celebrating our 25th year, and Fisk University won.
Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Chuck Forrest... Lives in Italy now.
Chuck: That's right.
Alex: And I understand that Italy is thinking --They had a Jeopardy! franchise before, and there's talk of them bringing it back?
Chuck: I've read that they're about to bring it back, which would be great. With their own host, their own language, of course, And their own answers and questions.
Alex: And what will be the title of it?
Chuck: It's called Rischiatutto --"Risk It All".
Alex: "Risk It All."
Chuck: Right.
Alex: Rischiatutto! Bene! Bene! Bene!
Chuck: Perfect accent. Perfect.
Alex: [ Italian accent ] Okay. Mark-a, it's-a your turn. You go. You make a selection.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mark found the Daily Double on the 17th clue. Chuck had $2,000, Mark had $600, and Colby was at $1,200. Mark wagered $1,000.

SOUTH AMERICAN WILDLIFE $800: This feline with a fancy coat is the only New World resident traditionally classified as a big cat

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FASHION "P"IECES $600: In 2013 the Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum had an exhibit on this look, "Chaos to Couture"
(Alex: An exhibit on [*].)

SHERLOCK HOLMES STORIES $200: Poison darts turn out to be the cause in "The Adventure Of The Sussex" one of these Slavic fiends
(Alex: Slavic fiend--[*].)

FASHION "P"IECES $1000: Seen here on the Dutchess of Cambridge, this pleated, flared extension of the bodice is on trend
(Alex: It's called [*].)

SOUTH AMERICAN WILDLIFE $600: Also called a lancehead, this snake accounts for 90% of all snakebite-related fatalities in Brazil
(Mark: What is the eyelash viper?)

SHERLOCK HOLMES STORIES $400: Sea captain "Black Peter" Carey is killed with this weapon
(Alex: Sea captain killed with [*].)

YOU HAD ONE JOB! $600: In the pages of Variety, a thrush is this

YOU HAD ONE JOB! $1000: Latin for "hand" gave us this long word for a secretary

SHERLOCK HOLMES STORIES $1000: "The Man With The Twisted" this feature turns out to be an actor in makeup
(Alex: The Man With The Twisted [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Chuck: $6,800
Mark: $4,200
Colby: $200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, May 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ON WHAT ISLAND? (4/5)
CLASSICAL COMPOSERS (4/5)
12+-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
FEMALE WORLD LEADERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
___ THE ___ (4/5)
THE STARS WRITE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Colby: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Chuck: 9 R, 1 W
Mark: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Colby snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Chuck had $6,800, Mark had $4,200, and Colby was at $2,200. Colby made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,200.

FEMALE WORLD LEADERS $1600: Her husband's assassination & a people power revolution made her president in 1986

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Colby who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Chuck had $10,800, Mark had $5,400, and Colby was at $7,200. Colby wagered $1,000.

THE STARS WRITE $800: Born in 1928, in 2009 Dick Van Patten published a book titled this "Is Not Enough"
(Colby What is "The World"?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ON WHAT ISLAND? $2000: Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport
(Chuck: What is Mirabeau?)

___ THE ___ $2000: Derived from an Old Testament story, to face danger is to do this to the king of beasts

CLASSICAL COMPOSERS $800: In 1622 Thomas Tomkkins published a set of these secular songs, some of the fa-la-la-last great ones
(Mark: What are carols?)

THE STARS WRITE $1600: This former writer/actor on "The Office" got good reviews for his 2014 book of fiction "One More Thing."

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Chuck: $14,400
Colby: $11,800
Mark: $10,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS BOOKS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Chuck: Wager $9,201 to cover Colby.
Colby: You ought to wager to cover Mark, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $11,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $9,400 (to shut out Mark) or less than $6,600 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Mark). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Chuck.
Mark: You ought to try wagering between $1,201 and $5,400. This will top a $0 wager by Colby while still beating Chuck and Colby on the Triple Stumper (should Chuck wager to cover Colby's doubled score and Colby wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It was published March 26, 1830; a very popular work with the same name premiered March 24, 2011

FINAL SCORES
Mark: $10,600 - $2,000 = $8,600 (What is Moby Dici) (3rd place)
Colby: $11,800 - $800 = $11,000 (What is The Time Machine?) (2nd place)
Chuck: $14,400 - $2,500 = $11,900 (What ?) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Chuck: $14,400, 21 R, 1 W
Colby: $12,200, 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Mark: $10,400, 15 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $37,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Chuck: 21/58 = .362
Mark: 15/59 = .254
Colby: 11/60 = .183
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FASHION "P"IECES $400: This print is often seen on scarves and shawls

SHERLOCK HOLMES STORIES $600: There's "The Sign Of" this group--Akbar, Khan, Singh & Small
(Alex: Sign of [*]--yes.)

IT SOUNDS LIKE A LETTER $800: Commodity that's pretty steeped
(Alex: [*]--that sounds like a letter.)

THAT '70s SHOW $1000: Squad 51 kept on saving L.A. in this show with Randolph Mantooth, Kevin Tighe & Julie London
(Colby: What is the Mod Squad?)

THE STARS WRITE $1200: "There And Back Again" tells of this actor's time playing Samwise Gamgee
(Colby: Who is Astin?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Colby: Sean.)

CLASSICAL COMPOSERS $1600: This 19th century composer's "Spring" symphony shows no signs of the mental illness that later overcame him

CORRECT RESPONSES
a jaguar
punk rock
a vampire
a peplum
the fair-de-lance
a harpoon
a female singer
an amanuensis
Lip
(Corazon) Aquino
Eighty
Montreal Island
beard the lion in his den
madrigals
B. J. Novak
The Book of Mormon
paisley
The Four
tea
Emergency
Sean Astin
(Robert) Schumann
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Famous Books
It was published March 26, 1830; a very popular work with the same name premiered March 24, 2011.

Spoiler
What is The Book of Mormon? Mark had Moby Dick crossed out; Colby said The Time Machine; Chuck had no guess.

Chuck Forrest: $14,400-$2,500=$11,900...Automatic Semi-Finalist
Colby Burnett: $11,800-$800=$11,000...Advances as final Wild Card
Mark Dawson: $10,600-$2,000=$8,600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sat May 10, 2014 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I'm wondering if my response for the $600 clue in "Sounds Like A Letter" would count: I said (a homophone of) "A", the answer was pronounced as a homophone of "I". Now first off, I'm not 100% sure if I was answering "aye" or not, but I argue that "aye" can be pronounced as a homophone of "A". Something that might count against me though is that "A" was used later in the $400 clue (Fonzie's utterance), so they might be less likely to count it on another clue in the same category. I'm counting it on the fact that "aye" can be pronounced "A", but what do the rest of y'all think?

I knew this game would be the closest of the three, once I saw that if Chuck and Mark won today, they'd have 3 from each decade in the semis as well, which I thought was too cool an opportunity to pass up, so I was kind of hoping Colby would come in third (and not get enough for a wildcard) - against my will, I might add, since I liked all three players (including Colby) and each one of them (heck, each one of the players that have played in the BotD so far) deserved to go on.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I was half-expecting to hear Pam letting out her breath after Mark missed FJ.

Not so much as a guess for FJ. Never, ever would have come up with Book of Mormon.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Just as I predicted! I knew this one would be a three-way shootout. Now comes the most epic week in Jeopardy history... the level of epicness is overwhelming. I CAN'T WAIT.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:I'm wondering if my response for the $600 clue in "Sounds Like A Letter" would count: I said (a homophone of) "A", the answer was pronounced as a homophone of "I". Now first off, I'm not 100% sure if I was answering "aye" or not, but I argue that "aye" can be pronounced as a homophone of "A". Something that might count against me though is that "A" was used later in the $400 clue (Fonzie's utterance), so they might be less likely to count it on another clue in the same category. I'm counting it on the fact that "aye" can be pronounced "A", but what do the rest of y'all think?
Nay
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

That was a clever final. I knew to focus on "premiered" but didn't get the timing right (mildly ashamed 'cause of my theatre background), I was stuck on Hunger Games even though the first movie didn't come out in 2011 I believe.

Ouch, Mark. I feel bad there, but it's not like a smaller wager would have done better.
eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by eboettch »

Happy to pick up LT on BJ Novak! I thought he might show up in that category - One More Thing is a pretty good read.

Didn't put anything down for FJ. Wonder if they purposely didn't put that in Ken's game...
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Another instaget, TS FJ...weird. Maybe the word 'premiered' helped, but I thought of Broadway almost immediately, and with the word 'Book' already on the brain, the answer came quickly.

I was also surprised all three of them bet conservatively, though it paid off for Colby. It's funny, I always say I wouldn't feel safe for a WC standing pat in the 10-12k range, and yet time and again, it ends up being enough.

Next week is going to be some of the J! ever played.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri May 09, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I was thinking of TV and movies in FJ, and Broadway never occurred to me. With more time I might have come up with it, but not in 30 seconds.

Somehow I thought Book of Mormon had been running for more than 3 years too.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I'm wondering if my response for the $600 clue in "Sounds Like A Letter" would count: I said (a homophone of) "A", the answer was pronounced as a homophone of "I". Now first off, I'm not 100% sure if I was answering "aye" or not, but I argue that "aye" can be pronounced as a homophone of "A". Something that might count against me though is that "A" was used later in the $400 clue (Fonzie's utterance), so they might be less likely to count it on another clue in the same category. I'm counting it on the fact that "aye" can be pronounced "A", but what do the rest of y'all think?
Nay
Y?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

UniquePerspective wrote:I was stuck on Hunger Games even though the first movie didn't come out in 2011 I believe.
More importantly, it wasn't written in the 1800's. ;)
esrever

Post by esrever »

Good game, although the players had a dozen non-DD clues that none of them answered correctly.

Picked up Lach trash: "vampire", "harpoon", "female singer", "lip", "madrigals"

Didn't get FJ.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Well I'll certainly take going 3/5 in champion-level FJs for the week, although I whiffed completely on this one. Nice confidence booster ahead of my audition.

Great to see Chuck, Pam, and Colby get in. Everyone I wanted to advance out of this week did. Next week is going to be amazing.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

econgator wrote:
UniquePerspective wrote:I was stuck on Hunger Games even though the first movie didn't come out in 2011 I believe.
More importantly, it wasn't written in the 1800's. ;)

I was going for a work that possibly would have been the title of two different things. I thought "The Hunger Games" could have been the title of something else written back then.
hscer

Post by hscer »

I feel like The Final Wager for today is can't-miss. Among other things, Chuck didn't bet to cover! I'm glad he's in the semis.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

That was one of the best FJ clues in recent memory. I got it wrong but give the writers props for coming up with it.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Missed FJ even after listening to this podcast today: http://www.npr.org/programs/ask-me-anot ... 2014-04-24
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I am not quite sure what "instaget" means, but I had FJ correct by the time Alex was finished reading.

The contestants today missed a lot of fairly easy clues. I couldn't believe Montreal was a $2000 clue and still no one got it correct.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.