SHC Round 2 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: SHC Round 2 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Paucle »

jepkid97 wrote:I'd bust out the champagne, but for some reason I can't drink! :evil:
OMG! You're pregnant!
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

I also thought I was fairly good at mythology. Ha. I was singing Spinning Wheel and You Make Me So Very Happy in my head to try to remember who sang them, and it really sounded like Chicago, though I was thinking to myself "How did I forgot that was Chicago?". Well, because it wasn't... At least it is a reasonable timeframe and style... (And not only do I also confuse Blood, Sweat and Tears with Earth, Wind and Fire, but both of those with Three Dog Night. But I at least used to own a Three Dog Night album, way back when...)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Those of you who got Cyrene: did you get it from the reference to the Gospel of Mark, the geographical hint or consort of Apollo part? My reading of the Greek mythos had so many of assignations for Apollo that that latter fact had little use for me. I confess to never having heard of her. And I certainly got suckered in by the 15-pointer. From the Mahabharat, I recalled that Kunti had had a child by Dharma, but completely forget about the story of her and Surya. Ouch!
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Woof wrote:Those of you who got Cyrene: did you get it from the reference to the Gospel of Mark, the geographical hint or consort of Apollo part?
I got it from the reference to Simon the Cyrene, who carried the cross of Christ to the place of crucifixion.
GUJeopardyFan
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GUJeopardyFan »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
Woof wrote:Those of you who got Cyrene: did you get it from the reference to the Gospel of Mark, the geographical hint or consort of Apollo part?
I got it from the reference to Simon the Cyrene, who carried the cross of Christ to the place of crucifixion.
Ditto on Simon of Cyrene, though I do remember a few years back looking up Cyrene and learning that it was a region in North Africa named for a consort of Apollo. So...mostly the gospel reference, anyway.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

Personally, I would not consider any of the Ender's books to be children's literature - just because the protagonists are kids, doesn't automatically make them suitable kids' books. But that's just one gal's opinion.

Additionally, DoT, in question #3 of the mythology category, you have Pluto instead of Hades. Probably not enough to prompt an RQ, but thought it should be pointed out.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Yep, the Cyrene question was a bible one for me. Working in a heavily-Indo Canadian-populated area helped me out with the 15 pointer too.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This week has been brutal, even more than usual by my standards. Mythology is usually a decent category for me but I struggled with this one, though I should have known Hathor.

Thinking about SHC History: I would probably rank 2009 as the SHC with the toughest regular season, and either 2008 or 2010 as the SHC with the toughest ToC week. Right now it looks like this year's regular season may surpass 2009 for the title of the toughest. But the clues have been very good so far, and I am glad that I am learning some new things.
alamble

Post by alamble »

barandall800 wrote:Many thanks, DoT, for that gift of a children's books category. And thanks to my little brother, who is the reason I was able to come up with the 10-pointer so easily. :D (He adores the Percy Jackson books, and even had me read them...I've gotten to the fourth book, but haven't touched it in ages. The movie was awful, btw.)
I highly recommend you finish them out, Brandon, if you've already gotten through Book Four. The final book, The Last Olympian, is easily my favorite of the five, and I have enjoyed both the Kane Chronicles, and the first book of the companion series, The Lost Hero. Incidentally, Riordan also has a series of award-winning mystery novels featuring a PI by the name of Tres Navarre that are quite good.
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

Totally OT, but Suze, I love your new forum avatar. I suddenly have a vision of an ep of Celebrity Jeopardy! with Brittany, Kevin, and Daria.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

I just realized, several hours after submitting answers unfortunately, that my signature is a good clue to the 2-pt answer, if one didn't know already and connected the dots from the Snark to the Jabberwock! It probably hasn't helped anyone, since the clue is pretty well known, and who would have been looking on page two of the posts before answering anyway? But I've removed it in that thread, just to be a little less of a jerk. Please forgive me, if it was bothering anyone. If I ever get on the show, perhaps I will recite the poem in toto in my interview, with all appropriate inflection and emotion included. I LOVE it.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

nlw44 wrote:I just realized, several hours after submitting answers unfortunately, that my signature is a good clue to the 2-pt answer, if one didn't know already and connected the dots from the Snark to the Jabberwock! It probably hasn't helped anyone, since the clue is pretty well known, and who would have been looking on page two of the posts before answering anyway? But I've removed it in that thread, just to be a little less of a jerk. Please forgive me, if it was bothering anyone. If I ever get on the show, perhaps I will recite the poem in toto in my interview, with all appropriate inflection and emotion included. I LOVE it.
Great, now you got me paranoid if Milton pops up in the SHC. I'm not changing it though!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

NJCondon wrote:Totally OT, but Suze, I love your new forum avatar. I suddenly have a vision of an ep of Celebrity Jeopardy! with Brittany, Kevin, and Daria.
Ha, I got tired of my own dumb blonde mug and decided to use another's. Brittany and Kevin wouldn't even be able to spell Jeopardy...which makes them just right for Celeb Jeopardy, I guess.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

I'm not sure where it came from, but Cyrene popped into my head.

To cover all bases, I answered Persephone and Proserpina for the 9 pointer, though I suspect Dad will accept either.

As far as Hathor goes - thank you Stargate SG-1!

No clue on the 15 pointer.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I got Cyrene from the Christian mythology, rather than the Greek. Never heard of the Apollo and Cyrene story, although I know where Cyrene/Cyrenaica is (biggest city: Benghazi). It may even become a country if the conflict in Libya ends in a stalemate.

I need to learn more about Hinduism.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Suze wrote:I'm pretty solid with mythology and I never would have gotten Cyrene. I only know Hathor from the Mythology Pavolov lists on the old board. Not an easy bunch.
FWIW, Cyrene doesn't appear once in the J! archive. Neither does Surya. And Hathor has never come up in a situation where the contestants had to figure out her name (so I'm not sure why she would have even appeared on a Pavlov list).

That's not to say that I mind learning all this new material, but these data points may help place the relative difficulty of this question set in context.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Woof wrote:Those of you who got Cyrene: did you get it from the reference to the Gospel of Mark, the geographical hint or consort of Apollo part? My reading of the Greek mythos had so many of assignations for Apollo that that latter fact had little use for me. I confess to never having heard of her. And I certainly got suckered in by the 15-pointer. From the Mahabharat, I recalled that Kunti had had a child by Dharma, but completely forget about the story of her and Surya. Ouch!
80% from the Gospel, 20% from the geographical hint (enough that I was briefly wondering if "Cyrenaica" was the intended answer (a slight chance you may have heard that geographical name in the news lately)) and -40% from the consort of Apollo part (Greek and Roman gods are traditionally my Achilles heel (pun fully intended) - so much so that of the few gods I know both the Greek and Roman equivalents of I invariably call out the wrong one while playing along. I've since learned enough to know that the planets were named after the Roman gods, not the Greek ones, but that only helps me with a dozen or so.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BoK

Post by BoK »

Is Bat an acceptable alternate response for Hathor? Wikipedia says
A cow deity appears on the belt of the King on the Narmer Palette dated to the pre-dynastic era, and this may be Hathor or, in another guise, the goddess Bat with whom she is linked and later supplanted. At times they are regarded as one and the same goddess, though likely having separate origins, and reflections of the same divine concept.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

I am chagrined about getting the Day 2 Beatles question wrong. My thought processes were: "Only Beatles album to win 'Album of the Year' Grammy? Well, if it's a Grammy, it can't be an actually great album . . . and it's got to be something kitschy and commercial . . . it's gotta be Magical Mystery Tour!" I didn't even think for a moment about using the subtle TOM in the clue, i.e., the names of the songs on the album.
alamble wrote:Personally, I would not consider any of the Ender's books to be children's literature - just because the protagonists are kids, doesn't automatically make them suitable kids' books.
QFT

And a hearty thanks to my co-cryptic-crossword-constructor Hathor for handing me 12 points today! :)

Rex
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

Paucle wrote:
jepkid97 wrote:I'd bust out the champagne, but for some reason I can't drink! :evil:
OMG! You're pregnant!
I really hope not.

Yesterday's challenge reminded me of my excitement for the next Heroes of Olympus book - coming in October! (I don't care that they're aimed at a younger audience!)