SHC Round 2 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: SHC Round 2 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

Oh I liked today. I really really liked today. Can we have more days like today, please? :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

jepkid97 wrote:
Paucle wrote:
jepkid97 wrote:I'd bust out the champagne, but for some reason I can't drink! :evil:
OMG! You're pregnant!
I really hope not.

Yesterday's challenge reminded me of my excitement for the next Heroes of Olympus book - coming in October! (I don't care that they're aimed at a younger audience!)
You're fourteen, Jack. Those books are aimed squarely at your demo. It's grownups like me they're not written for.

I do so love a good Oscars category.
oddsox
Valued Contributor

Post by oddsox »

Miss out on the perfecto due to... the 4-point clue? Never heard of the city, but I figured low point value + French name = Louisiana. Surprised to see how many got it, is there some reason for this factoid to be well-known?
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I like how today's 10-pt and 15-pt responses go together. Johnny Bench approves.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

oddsox wrote:Miss out on the perfecto due to... the 4-point clue? Never heard of the city, but I figured low point value + French name = Louisiana. Surprised to see how many got it, is there some reason for this factoid to be well-known?
I just knew Coeur d'Alene is a well-known city in Idaho. I can't tell you another thing about the city, other than it's in Idaho.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

I appear to be 9/10 today, which would make me happier if I were the only one doing so well. My one miss is the third manifestation of a strange disease I've contracted, wherein I am compelled to put down the correct answer, second-guess myself, delete it, then replace it with an answer that I should darn well know is wrong.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

oddsox wrote:Miss out on the perfecto due to... the 4-point clue? Never heard of the city, but I figured low point value + French name = Louisiana. Surprised to see how many got it, is there some reason for this factoid to be well-known?
Drove through there once, remember it because it has a funny name. Reminds me of Couriers de bois.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I know Coeur d'Alene from—what else?—a movie. The Coeur d'Alene reservation is featured in the independent film Smoke Signals, which is based on a story by Native American author Sherman Alexie.

Speaking of films, I would like to see the movie questions be just a bit more difficult so that I might gain some ground on the more scientifically inclined among us. :)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Once you see it... "Coeur d'Alene, Idaho"... it just looks so out of place. Here we have this flourishy French name that has no earthly business being where it is, like black volcanic glass in a hayfield by Buxton.

Well, that's how it stuck with me.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

I lived in Spokane, WA for four years, and it's right next door to Coeur d'Alene, so there was no way I was missing that one. :) I was really nervous I was guessing the wrong city for the 2-pointer, so I'm glad that worked out. I wish I pulled the trigger on Cincinnati...for some reason I had a feeling about it, even though I've never heard of its Roman namesake. (Also, I was very tempted to write "Do you know the way?" next to my answer on the 8-pointer. :D)
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,

I spent the 4th night of my 5 day drive from Atlanta, Georgia, to Pullman, Washington, in Coeur d'Alene. I've also spent some time canoeing and fishing on the nearby lake of the same name.

So far, this SHC has been a great opportunity to display my ignorance. :)

While the spoiler tags may be serving a purpose, they do make it harder to look at all the other replies (after posting my own, of course). I don't know if that has made a difference, but it seems that this year's humor quotient in replies is not as high as in years past.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Volante wrote:
Once you see it... "Coeur d'Alene, Idaho"... it just looks so out of place. Here we have this flourishy French name that has no earthly business being where it is, like black volcanic glass in a hayfield by Buxton.

Well, that's how it stuck with me.
Get busy clammin', or get busy dyin'.

Coeur d'Alene is a major city there (well, major by Idaho's standards) so it sticks out on maps. Also had an A&P prof a year ago who was from there, and talked about it periodically.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Suze wrote: Also had an A&P prof a year ago who was from there, and talked about it periodically.
Did he award good test scores with stamps? :mrgreen:
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Woof wrote:
Suze wrote: Also had an A&P prof a year ago who was from there, and talked about it periodically.
Did he award good test scores with stamps? :mrgreen:

Heh no stamps or stickers, but she did throw a cheesecake party after finals. She made cadaver lab my favorite class. :)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

barandall800 wrote: I wish I pulled the trigger on Cincinnati...for some reason I had a feeling about it, even though I've never heard of its Roman namesake.
Cincinnatus ? Also the name of U.S. Grant's favorite horse.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Huh, I've been through Cour d"Alene a few times (the only part of Idaho I've been to) and wouldn't have guessed that a town of that small size (by my eyes) is the second largest in the state ... (Didn't stop the clue from being an instaget, though, due to my having been there a few times)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I am not so worried that I've never heard of Coeur d'Alene, but I feel really stupid from missing Baltimore. For Calvert's sake, I work in Baltimore. :roll:
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

We were due for an easy day, though I am kicking myself for the two that I clammed on. I considered Idaho for the 4-pointer but the name of the city just didn't ring a bell, so I clammed. I knew that the Warren Beatty movie was called Red-something but I couldn't remember the exact title. It hurts to miss out on a perfecto like that, but I am thankful for a day of not so hard clues!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Rex Kramer wrote:I am chagrined about getting the Day 2 Beatles question wrong. My thought processes were: "Only Beatles album to win 'Album of the Year' Grammy? Well, if it's a Grammy, it can't be an actually great album . . . and it's got to be something kitschy and commercial . . . it's gotta be Magical Mystery Tour!" I didn't even think for a moment about using the subtle TOM in the clue, i.e., the names of the songs on the album.
I guess I really am the only person who likes Magical Mystery Tour. It might not be the best Beatles album but it is a good listen!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

StevenH wrote:
I guess I really am the only person who likes Magical Mystery Tour. It might not be the best Beatles album but it is a good listen!
Hardly. John Lennon called it his favorite Beatles album and how can one not like one with so many memorable songs (Strawberry Fields, Fool on the Hill, Hello, Goodbye, Penny Lane, All You Need is Love) not to mention my own preferences (Blue Jay Way, Baby You're A Rich Man)?