SHC Round 2 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

SHC Round 2 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by boson »

In Monday's game one question doesn't really make sense:

6: Pitch is the way the human ear perceives minute changes in this property of air measured in pascals.

"Pitch" is the highness or lowness of the sound, which is the frequency of the sound (measured in Hertz). The ear perceives changes in air pressure (measured in pascals). If the air pressure oscillates faster then you perceive a higher pitch. If it oscillates with a larger amplitude then you perceive a louder sound.
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: SHC Round 2 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by NJCondon »

boson wrote:In Monday's game one question doesn't really make sense:

6: Pitch is the way the human ear perceives minute changes in this property of air measured in pascals.

"Pitch" is the highness or lowness of the sound, which is the frequency of the sound (measured in Hertz). The ear perceives changes in air pressure (measured in pascals). If the air pressure oscillates faster then you perceive a higher pitch. If it oscillates with a larger amplitude then you perceive a louder sound.
What boson said; I answered "pressure" because that's what pascals measure, but the question isn't internally consistent.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm just happy I had company on the one where I guessed amplifier and most of you guessed transducer.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Since one other person answered it: p-wave for longitudinal wave?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vanya wrote:Since one other person answered it: p-wave for longitudinal wave?
I would think yes.
GUJeopardyFan
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GUJeopardyFan »

From an engineer's standpoint, the precise answer is "no" on p-wave. P-waves (aka seismic waves) and Sound waves are both types of Longitudinal waves...the definition "vibrates in the same direction as it propagates" is always connected with "longitudinal wave."

That said, it's almost certainly close enough for this competition :-)
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

econgator wrote:
Vanya wrote:Since one other person answered it: p-wave for longitudinal wave?
I would think yes.
It would seem that p-waves are longitudinal waves, but I've only ever heard the "p-wave" terminology applied to solids; is it really valid to use that term for a longitudinal wave in a gas?
GUJeopardyFan
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GUJeopardyFan »

NJCondon wrote:It would seem that p-waves are longitudinal waves, but I've only ever heard the "p-wave" terminology applied to solids; is it really valid to use that term for a longitudinal wave in a gas?
A P-wave is basically a low-frequency sound wave, and will propagate through any physical medium (including gasses). The reason I think it's an incorrect answer is it would be like answering "sound waves" to the question - they're a subset of longitudinal waves. Not all longitudinal waves are sound waves (or P-waves), though sound is certainly the most common example.

ETA - but like I said, I think that's a somewhat trifling distinction for this competition. Probably acceptable.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

Snappy answer on the Monday 8-point question, Teapot!
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Leah wrote:Snappy answer on the Monday 8-point question, Teapot!

Hey, according to Ricki Lake in "Cry-Baby," he's dead-on. (Well maybe not the Latin part so much.)
sdgilleran
Contributor

Post by sdgilleran »

Will we be taking "gemstone" for stone on the 10-pointer? "Jewel" or "precious stone" are listed as definitions in the Latin dictionaries I've consulted.
demomoke
Three-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by demomoke »

As a Navy sonar technician who took three years of Latin in high school, I swear I had nothing to do with the selection of today's questions.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I agree with boson about the sound 6-pointer. The clue would make sense if "pitch" were replaced by "sound". Pressure (the intended answer, I assume) itself was described properly, but the rest of the clue can be confusing.

I'd say no on p-wave because it is too specific (normally a disqualifier on J!) and doesn't overlap with the most typical concept of sound.

Newton-Laplace clue was also a bit off - it's only applicable to gases, not to all media - but at least it was clear what it referred to.

Also, accusative case of "manus" is "manum", not "manam". And "morituri te salutant" is not a proverb, but a salutation phrase.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

gnash wrote:And "morituri te salutant" is not a proverb, but a salutation phrase.
So how would you classify "Oderint dum metuant"?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

For the 10-pointer, according to my quick-and-dirty research, my answer of "rock" should be equally as acceptable as "stone."

"Transducer" for only 9 points? Wow.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
demomoke
Three-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by demomoke »

Woof wrote:So how would you classify "Oderint dum metuant"?
As a threat.
oddsox
Valued Contributor

Post by oddsox »

MarkBarrett wrote:I'm just happy I had company on the one where I guessed amplifier and most of you guessed transducer.
hi there, fellow amplifier guesser. I've never heard the word 'transducer' in my life and figured amplifier was a reasonable guess.
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

A Latin category made me happy, but, after science class this past year, I probably should have gotten at least the 9 pointer in The Sound of Music. I don't think I did.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jepkid97 wrote:A Latin category made me happy, but, after science class this past year, I probably should have gotten at least the 9 pointer in The Sound of Music. I don't think I did.
At least you got the fact that you didn't get it right right. ;)
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

oddsox wrote:
hi there, fellow amplifier guesser. I've never heard the word 'transducer' in my life and figured amplifier was a reasonable guess.
I'm just glad that I wasn't the only one who apparently thought there was "more than meets the eye" to that clue. (Even though, as an EE grad, I certainly should know better!)