Wednesday, May 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BobF »

rmfromfla wrote:Rex, three most memorable hurricanes I made it through were:

Camille, 1969 -- was also targeted for Florida panhandle -- as a 7-year-old, remember watching weather bulletin with the location map propped up on an easel & the radar looking like one that was on a submarine, but bad news for Biloxi.

Eloise, 1975 -- landfall just west of Panama City Beach, which took a direct hit; also effects felt inland -- power went out on Tuesday & didn't come back until lunchtime on Friday.

Opal, 1995 -- was a Cat. 5 still in Gulf before going down to a 3 with landfall near Pensacola; can still see/hear transformer popping nearby; fast mover as everything was over by midnight; power out for one day.

Could also include Ivan in 2004 as it spun off lots of tornadoes; one that crossed I-10 about a mile away from house.
What year was Hugo? I drove down to FL around that time, and on the way back, I couldn't believe the devastation along I-95 in the Carolinas, well inland. And the stories I heard on the radio were heart-wrenching. I wished I could have extended my vacation a bit and bought a few cases of water and taken them to the coast.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Hugo was 9/22-9/23/1989 and hit Charleston SC pretty bad :) My Mom lives in SW FL and her town and the town next to it got hit bad in CHarley on 8/13/2004, which was supposed to go to Tampa but made a veer in his pattern. She didn't move there until almost two years later, and roughly 30% on the people living in her town did not live in the town when CHarley hit. The worst the Jersey Shore got hit in my lifetime with a hurricane, besides Sandy, was Belle in 1976 and Gloria on 9/27/1985 which didn't do as much as were expected in either casre.
BobF

Post by BobF »

legendneverdies wrote:Hugo was 9/22-9/23/1989 and hit Charleston SC pretty bad :) My Mom lives in SW FL and her town and the town next to it got hit bad in CHarley on 8/13/2004, which was supposed to go to Tampa but made a veer in his pattern. She didn't move there until almost two years later, and roughly 30% on the people living in her town did not live in the town when CHarley hit. The worst the Jersey Shore got hit in my lifetime with a hurricane, besides Sandy, was Belle in 1976 and Gloria on 9/27/1985 which didn't do as much as were expected in either casre.
Do you live at the Jersey Shore? I grew up there. I was in college during Gloria and up in New Brunswick, NJ, it was so mild my friends and I walked to the dining hall.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BobF wrote:What year was Hugo? I drove down to FL around that time, and on the way back, I couldn't believe the devastation along I-95 in the Carolinas, well inland. And the stories I heard on the radio were heart-wrenching. I wished I could have extended my vacation a bit and bought a few cases of water and taken them to the coast.
I went TAD down to Charleston about 2 weeks after Hugo. The effects were evident on the trip up I-95 and became worse as I drove down US 17. I still remember seeing a mechanic's shop basically reduced to a few standing walls and no roof, but damned if the mechanic didn't have a car up on the hydraulic lift, working on it. Up in Monck's Corner, there were the remains of a flattened mobile home park. However, there were lots of "We are open" and "Nice try, Hugo!" signs, but in just two short weeks, the people there had worked some damn miracles.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My question about this game is if Colby got his DD right, would he have won on a triple stumper, or would Roger have wagered like Pam did against Fritz?
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

seaborgium wrote:My question about this game is if Colby got his DD right, would he have won on a triple stumper, or would Roger have wagered like Pam did against Fritz?
this comment (and the DD poll) reminded me: did anybody else get jacobi = james from knowing that the adjective "jacobean" refers to the reign of king james (the first)? e.g. shakespeare's later plays are classified as jacobean theatre. i'm not sure that i consciously thought of this when the DD came up, but i knew right away that it was james.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

jpahk wrote:
seaborgium wrote:My question about this game is if Colby got his DD right, would he have won on a triple stumper, or would Roger have wagered like Pam did against Fritz?
this comment (and the DD poll) reminded me: did anybody else get jacobi = james from knowing that the adjective "jacobean" refers to the reign of king james (the first)? e.g. shakespeare's later plays are classified as jacobean theatre. i'm not sure that i consciously thought of this when the DD came up, but i knew right away that it was james.
yes, and i was consciously aware of where my connection came from.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jpahk wrote:
No, but now that you mention it, it should have clicked, as I should have remembered it from this FJ: http://69.16.235.166/showgame.php?game_ ... t=jacobean

Funny how I can immediately recall a response from a 4-year-old FJ, but sometimes have trouble remembering what I had for dinner last night...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
jpahk wrote:
No, but now that you mention it, it should have clicked, as I should have remembered it from this FJ: http://69.16.235.166/showgame.php?game_ ... t=jacobean

Funny how I can immediately recall a response from a 4-year-old FJ, but sometimes have trouble remembering what I had for dinner last night...
Yep...didn't make the connection but now that it's pointed out, Durrrrrrrrr.... :roll:
(And now that my brain's on that track, Carolina => Charles as well)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

bomtr wrote:
jpahk wrote:
yes, and i was consciously aware of where my connection came from.
Exactly the same thought process here.