Thursday, May 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hanzz
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, May 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by hanzz »

Ahh, I've missed you, this controversy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guessed Louis XVI lost his head for 1791.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

DHicton wrote: They do this in the celebrity J! tournaments as well. "And Wolf, though you ended up at minus $4600, we're giving you $1000 to bet with," effectively means they're giving him $5600.
This is better than they've done sometimes. In some of the celebrity games, negative scores simply drop the negative sign. $-1800 becomes $1800. Wrap your mind around that.
tgs
Contributor

Post by tgs »

hanzz wrote:Ahh, I've missed you, this controversy.
It doesn't matter which way it works, so long as the rules are made clear to the players and enforced consistently (they are). Otherwise, why not complain the players can't wager on Day 2 money won on Day 1?
MFalk
KJL #152

Post by MFalk »

Golf wrote:Anyone else neg with end of the 100 years war on the 1453 clue?
yes
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I hate when I know the first name not the last. Magnus.... Ack! Gotta clam.

One more for the Pensacola neg pile here.

Brad's "peel potatoes" for "Get Up in the Morning" had the neighbors' visiting dog head for the back door when I laughed so loud it startled him from a resting position on the carpet. In regular play I would have called triple stumper when I saw the clue. In these finals I expected buzzer competition. "Great, I would never beat Brad to that one" was my thought when I saw him ring in. I would have been in no position to get the rebound over Ken because I might have fallen off that booster stand on that one.

On Roger's DD attempt I would say it was clearly Ken that had the tempter's voice. I could not make out what Brad said after the miss. Whatever it was I would like to think it was in good humor and not something sarcastic. Ken liked it whatever it was. I timed about 17.9 seconds from Alex saying the first word in the clue to the beep and about 11.5 seconds from the last word completed to the beep. Roger was given sufficient time to get it.
Paucle wrote:My immediate thought on FJ was "Wait a minute, didn't The Silence of the Lambs win all five major awards? It's, like famous for being one of the very few films to do that? Was that really more than 30 years ago? 1992... no. 22 years. What am I missing?" I didn't see as I was missing anything, so I went with what I thought was a way-too-easy FJ for this type of tourney.
I'll bet Roger knew it!"
Your words fit my reaction to the clue the best. I'm glad the clue did not ask for both. The Hunt/Nicholson pairing did not come to me in the 30 seconds. I'd like to think I could have hit it with a little more time. For me I was just happy to have a solve locked in and found it hard to concentrate to get the unneeded other one.

If someone would have told me Brad and Ken would go 0/2 on that clue how much do you want to bet? That's wallet time where I usually have at least $50 on hand. I have no problem with Ken's non-response. He knows a ton about movies and while striking out he probably could eliminate each movie that came to him for knowing it did not qualify.

It's happened to me where the blank page happens when I can't get it, but I know what's not right. Or Ken enjoys movies and sees plenty of them, but individual awards are a different animal and not his strength. Over the years Brad has solved many clues about things in the entertainment field. He has tons of pub trivia experience. The Hopkins/Foster thing is too well-known to get by him. Very strange.

It makes tomorrow wide open as 10-7-0 has each guy well in range with nothing decided. Ken is too good to go 0/6 finding DDs. I expect him to uncover one tomorrow.
dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

Nailed As Good As It Gets right after the question was read.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Some quick thoughts:

- Roger played the game the way it's supposed to be played. I'm constantly frustrated by the small potatoes contestants and their small potatoes style of play. We have a megachampion that no one is talking about because no one cares, because she does nothing but ploddingly lock out opponents with $20,000 totals game after game. It's really the same contestant we've had week after week, this contestant just happens to have the same face for a bunch of games in a row. I'm so happy to see exciting play, especially with so much on the line.

- you know, I thought these were underwhelming questions on two levels. First, in terms of content, we've seen far more difficult stuff even within this same tourney. And categories like "Parenting" and "Fill in the blank cliché" are a little lame. Overall I was not impressed with the tone and approach of these boards, and it doesn't feel like the writers took special care in crafting them. Consider some of the answers - the historic dates category is really kinda vague, right? Did you know Johnny Galecki was born the same day as the Fall of Saigon? Usually a little more precision is expected. And the FAFSA fiasco could have been averted if the show... had just asked about FAFSA, instead of asking for a sentence answer. Really, just a slapdash effort in spots. And the New Chemical Elements was embarrassingly easy for the level of play at which these guys are capable of playing.

- how utterly pedantic, and totally jboard, to have the discussion quickly swing over to whether or not Craig should be penalized $800 tomorrow

- so, I agree, it's bizarre that Ken and Brad totally whiffed FJ. The factoid about the Big Five Oscars is so well known that I can't see how someone can unforget it, and even if you did you've got a comedy by the same director as Terms as one of the answers. But consider this. Both probably think that the Oscars are such secondhand knowledge to them that they didn't even study Oscars in the run up. So, suddenly put on the spot, they forget stuff that they'd know with just a little refreshing. My guess is that Brad fell back on the thirty years factoid and figured Terms of Endearment fit. I have no idea what Ken was thinking.

- I hate to say it, but, yes, I also knew Pascagoula from "The Day the Squirrel Went Berserk."

- devoid of helpful context in the clue, the Bill of Rights get by Brad is very impressive
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:On Roger's DD attempt I would say it was clearly Ken that had the tempter's voice. I could not make out what Brad said after the miss.
I've watched it a few times. It's clearly Ken who says, "Do it!"

As to Brad, I cannot say for certain, but looks and sounds like, "Good call." I know Ken lurks here, so maybe he can say for certain.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

No soup for whoever called me a troll. At least I instagot Bill of Rights Day...

http://billofrightsinstitute.org/resour ... ights-day/
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I didn't realize only one of the movies in FJ had to be given. Now I'm doubly surprised that either of them got it. Wow.

And yes, Bill of Rights was a great get.
JackalC
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by JackalC »

What was it that Brad said that made Ken and him laugh? It seemed incredibly inappropriate given the gravity of what happened.
tgs
Contributor

Post by tgs »

Austin Powers wrote:Some quick thoughts:
- you know, I thought these were underwhelming questions on two levels. First, in terms of content, we've seen far more difficult stuff even within this same tourney. And categories like "Parenting" and "Fill in the blank cliché" are a little lame. Overall I was not impressed with the tone and approach of these boards, and it doesn't feel like the writers took special care in crafting them. Consider some of the answers - the historic dates category is really kinda vague, right? Did you know Johnny Galecki was born the same day as the Fall of Saigon? Usually a little more precision is expected. And the FAFSA fiasco could have been averted if the show... had just asked about FAFSA, instead of asking for a sentence answer. Really, just a slapdash effort in spots. And the New Chemical Elements was embarrassingly easy for the level of play at which these guys are capable of playing.
During regular tapings, there are six games prepared by the writers, and five are randomly slotted into the episodes of the tape day, right? Do we know if the same is done for tournaments? Could today's boards just as easily been one of the semifinals, or do the writers design tournament games for the specific rounds in which they're used?
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

JackalC wrote:What was it that Brad said that made Ken and him laugh? It seemed incredibly inappropriate given the gravity of what happened.

No more inappropriate than urging Roger to "go for it."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:At least Roger joins the club heretofore populated only by boardie hansvon (Hans von Walter) by having no money going into FJ on the first day of a two day final.
It's been said, but this is wrong. Irene Grzywacz in the first Seniors Tournament, and Courtney Bennis in the 2004 Teen Tournament are in that club.

I got edema and As Good As It Gets. I'm not really sure how my thought process got me to the latter. It wasn't an instaget; I had it around when Alex was finishing his reading. I thought of Annie Hall first, but I realized Woody Allen didn't win the acting Oscar. Then... something, and then I got it right.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

JackalC wrote:What was it that Brad said that made Ken and him laugh? It seemed incredibly inappropriate given the gravity of what happened.
It's a game show.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

seaborgium wrote:
dhkendall wrote:At least Roger joins the club heretofore populated only by boardie hansvon (Hans von Walter) by having no money going into FJ on the first day of a two day final.
It's been said, but this is wrong. Irene Grzywacz in the first Seniors Tournament, and Courtney Bennis in the 2004 Teen Tournament are in that club.
Kevin Shen from this year's CC as well. Forgot about Courtney.
Capybara
Contributor

Post by Capybara »

I'm sure whatever it was came from a place of nervous energy and a sense of relief.

An exciting game. It will be interesting to see how the coryats stack up. Roger played correctly given the circumstances, and he will have to play with abandon tomorrow. If Ken fails to find a DD again, it may be difficult for him to win.

I wonder what the mood was like in the greenroom between games...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RCraig wrote:During the stop in tape right after, he said to the judges "yeah, I just did that with [my son] when he applied to college, so that's why I accepted it."
Wait, Alex's son applied for financial aid?!! :lol:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote:
It's a game show.
Hey, don't tell that to HotInCleveland or whatever his name is...