Wednesday, May 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Rex Kramer »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Plus, it was 400 and they were begging anyone, including a 13 day megachampion, to buzz in and take a flyer on it.
Um, let's see, what else fills in "Eye of the ____"? Tiger? Hurricane? Storm? Beholder?…
Yeah, sometimes you just gotta know stuff. Eye of the Needle was a huge bestseller, the first novel by an author would go on to sell more than 130 million books, one of which was featured on Oprah's Book Club. It was made into a movie starring Donald Sutherland. Not exactly "under the radar" material. It's a good, quick read -- you should check it out.

Rex
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

gnash wrote:
periwinkle wrote:I was glad to remember Royal Society for FJ - I first heard it on Jeopardy! and have missed it once or twice since then, now I think it's sticking.
I think this FJ is easier today than when the show was taped, because the Royal Society was mentioned several times on Cosmos.
And I still said Royal Academy. *sigh*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Rex Kramer wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Plus, it was 400 and they were begging anyone, including a 13 day megachampion, to buzz in and take a flyer on it.
Um, let's see, what else fills in "Eye of the ____"? Tiger? Hurricane? Storm? Beholder?…
Yeah, sometimes you just gotta know stuff. Eye of the Needle was a huge bestseller, the first novel by an author would go on to sell more than 130 million books, one of which was featured on Oprah's Book Club. It was made into a movie starring Donald Sutherland. Not exactly "under the radar" material. It's a good, quick read -- you should check it out.

Rex
*nod* It was originally called Storm Island, but I guess they changed it because current title sounds better (and the main antagonist is Die Nadel, so, yeah).

Most of Follett's books are decent reads, but this, The Key to Rebecca, and Pillars of the Earth are his best three.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Golf wrote:
PeteMoss wrote:The ONLY noteworthy part of this game was when Lara offered Sirena the tie for second place. It was a noble gesture that went nowhere.
It was a gesture that could not mean anything financially.
If they tied for second, they'd each get $2,000, wouldn't they? If so, that would be a $1000 gain for Sirena and no corresponding loss for Lara.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Magna wrote:
Golf wrote:
PeteMoss wrote:The ONLY noteworthy part of this game was when Lara offered Sirena the tie for second place. It was a noble gesture that went nowhere.
If they tied for second, they'd each get $2,000, wouldn't they? If so, that would be a $1000 gain for Sirena and no corresponding loss for Lara.
Actually, no. Maggie told us in the green room what the tiebreaker was for a second place tie for the $2000 vs. $1000. I can't remember what it was, but it was something along the line of who was leading going into Double J!, and if that was tied, going back to who was ahead at the first commercial break.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Volante wrote:
gnash wrote:
periwinkle wrote:I was glad to remember Royal Society for FJ - I first heard it on Jeopardy! and have missed it once or twice since then, now I think it's sticking.
I think this FJ is easier today than when the show was taped, because the Royal Society was mentioned several times on Cosmos.
And I still said Royal Academy. *sigh*
Funny, I used to belong to a British Society, but it didn't have all that stuff afterwards, and it had "Interplanetary" in the middle.

(Fer real. In my rocket-flying days, I belonged to quite a few aerospace groups, and the BIS has some bitchin' articles in their magazines then.)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Julia can't be pond scum, because as we all know where pond scum is concerned, everybody is named Mookie.
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Magna wrote:
Golf wrote:
Actually, no. Maggie told us in the green room what the tiebreaker was for a second place tie for the $2000 vs. $1000. I can't remember what it was, but it was something along the line of who was leading going into Double J!, and if that was tied, going back to who was ahead at the first commercial break.
When were you on Jeopardy?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

PeteMoss wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Magna wrote:
Golf wrote:
When were you on Jeopardy?
Google The search feature on j-archive is your friend
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Spoiler
On a less negative note, I was surprised I missed FJ. I am a huge Stephen King fan (I could tell you all about the books that take place in Castle Rock, Maine, for instance, and I remember one time there was a Stephen King category, and I thought to myself at the time that if I ever got on the show, I would beam ear to ear if that came up for me), but this went right over me. For some reason, I always thought that Lord of the Flies was a lot older than the 1950s anyways, so I was really out of luck there.
[mod-marked spoiler for misplaced post discussing Tuesday's FJ]

Shit, sorry. I didn't realize that previous day's FJs were spoilers. I thought I lurked long enough to not come across as an imbecile, but I guess not.
Last edited by RKane on Thu May 22, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You are in the wrong thread.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Roland wrote:What is with these contenders they are putting up against Julia? Sirena today and that dude yesterday just guessing away any chance they had. $200 on a daily double, WTF?! Dude yesterday doing the math wrong on his bet. COME ON MAN. It's so frustrating to watch this barely >20,000/day champ go 10 games further than she should have.

Also, Julia's daily double betting is embarrassing. She could easily have over $350,000 right now.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
May I note that while I do agree with Roland, and between us we don't have a dozen posts, I can assure you he is not an alt account of mine.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
DHicton wrote:If you say "SASS-KATCH-e-WAHN" or some variant, you'll probably hear, "Guess yer not fr'm around here, arya?"
See also "ore-a-GONE."
This.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I have to agree about the gestalt of this game. Too many TSs, slow game play, etc. I try not to be judgmental, but when the contestants were introduced I got a bad feeling about the game which, sadly, was borne out. Too much Lach trash to even bother enumerating, but I too was disappointed that those Heisman clues were left uncovered. As for the instaget FJ: another nail in the coffin that it proved to be a TS. I did think that the Cosmos reboot would have put the Royal Society more in the public mind, but maybe this was taped before Cosmos started airing. As an added bonus, who can name the famous scientists who helped found the Royal Society?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

RKane wrote:
Spoiler
On a less negative note, I was surprised I missed FJ. I am a huge Stephen King fan (I could tell you all about the books that take place in Castle Rock, Maine, for instance, and I remember one time there was a Stephen King category, and I thought to myself at the time that if I ever got on the show, I would beam ear to ear if that came up for me), but this went right over me. For some reason, I always thought that Lord of the Flies was a lot older than the 1950s anyways, so I was really out of luck there.
[mod-marked spoiler for misplaced post discussing Tuesday's FJ]

Shit, sorry. I didn't realize that previous day's FJs were spoilers. I thought I lurked long enough to not come across as an imbecile, but I guess not.
Trust me, you're not coming across as an imbecile, it's an honest mistake that you didn't know before.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Woof wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
DHicton wrote:If you say "SASS-KATCH-e-WAHN" or some variant, you'll probably hear, "Guess yer not fr'm around here, arya?"
See also "ore-a-GONE."
This.
LOO-ee-ville is a sure sign as well. (Even worse: LEW-is-ville.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

jeopardyhopeful wrote:Oh, and "rapidly spinning" = PULSAR. That's all I needed to see for that clue.
That probably would have helped Sirena, too, but since the clue only said "these rotating stars", and all stars rotate, the clue wasn't actually as helpful as you had imagined.

Rex
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Rex Kramer wrote:
jeopardyhopeful wrote:Oh, and "rapidly spinning" = PULSAR. That's all I needed to see for that clue.
That probably would have helped Sirena, too, but since the clue only said "these rotating stars", and all stars rotate, the clue wasn't actually as helpful as you had imagined.

Rex
Whole clue:
"In 1992 the first exoplanets were found orbiting one of these rotating stars that emit regular bursts of radiation"

So "rapidly spinning" isn't even in there, but "emit regular busts of radiation" should be a dead giveaway for a pulsing pulsar
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Volante wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:

Rex
Whole clue:
"In 1992 the first exoplanets were found orbiting one of these rotating stars that emit regular bursts of radiation"

So "rapidly spinning" isn't even in there, but "emit regular busts of radiation" should be a dead giveaway for a pulsing pulsar
Agreed. That's what I got it from.

Rex
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote:
Woof wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
See also "ore-a-GONE."
This.
LOO-ee-ville is a sure sign as well. (Even worse: LEW-is-ville.)
Should it be pronounced with 2 syllables (LOO-ville) or 3 (LOO-uh-ville)?