Wednesday, May 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by zakharov »

econgator wrote:
teapot37 wrote:
Woof wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
DHicton wrote:If you say "SASS-KATCH-e-WAHN" or some variant, you'll probably hear, "Guess yer not fr'm around here, arya?"
See also "ore-a-GONE."
This.
LOO-ee-ville is a sure sign as well. (Even worse: LEW-is-ville.)
Should it be pronounced with 2 syllables (LOO-ville) or 3 (LOO-uh-ville)?
3 syllables, preferably with a huge wad of chewing tobacco in your mouth.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
DHicton wrote:It always amuses me the way non-Saskatchewanians pronounce Saskatchewan. It's our little shibboleth.

For the record, we say "suss-KATCH-uh-w'n" or even sometimes "s's-KATCH-w'n" (IPA: /sə.ˈskætʃ.ə.wən/ or /s.ˈskætʃ.wən/).

If you say "SASS-KATCH-e-WAHN" or some variant, you'll probably hear, "Guess yer not fr'm around here, arya?"
To tell the real outsiders, ask them to pronounce the provincial capital :P
Yes, my home town is pronounced Re-jay-jay. :roll:

I got snickers from someone from the US when I said where I was from. "Oh, and where are you from?" I asked. "Virginia," he said. "O… K…" I said.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

DHicton wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
DHicton wrote:It always amuses me the way non-Saskatchewanians pronounce Saskatchewan. It's our little shibboleth.

For the record, we say "suss-KATCH-uh-w'n" or even sometimes "s's-KATCH-w'n" (IPA: /sə.ˈskætʃ.ə.wən/ or /s.ˈskætʃ.wən/).

If you say "SASS-KATCH-e-WAHN" or some variant, you'll probably hear, "Guess yer not fr'm around here, arya?"
To tell the real outsiders, ask them to pronounce the provincial capital :P
Yes, my home town is pronounced Re-jay-jay. :roll:

I got snickers from someone from the US when I said where I was from. "Oh, and where are you from?" I asked. "Virginia," he said. "O… K…" I said.
I used to live near Big Bone Lick, Kentucky.

Apropos of nothing.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Oh, and...only Prairie people know how to pronounce Bienfait.
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Magna wrote:
Golf wrote:
PeteMoss wrote:The ONLY noteworthy part of this game was when Lara offered Sirena the tie for second place. It was a noble gesture that went nowhere.
It was a gesture that could not mean anything financially.
If they tied for second, they'd each get $2,000, wouldn't they? If so, that would be a $1000 gain for Sirena and no corresponding loss for Lara.
Actually, no. Maggie told us in the green room what the tiebreaker was for a second place tie for the $2000 vs. $1000. I can't remember what it was, but it was something along the line of who was leading going into Double J!, and if that was tied, going back to who was ahead at the first commercial break.
I'm guessing that the one exception might be the extremely unlikely event in which neither of the non-winners buzzed in even once.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

So, there's these two guys from Saskatoon who are freezing their keesters off in February, and they decide to get out of town.

Stopping at the travel agency, they said, "Give us two tickets to the hottest place on earth."

Three days later, they arrive in Alice Springs, in the middle of Australia's Northern Territory. They arrive dressed in typical Canuk garb, looking extremely out of place.

One of the locals walks up to them and asks, in a thick Aussie accent, "Ga day, mates! Ow ya goin!" Our two Saskatonians respond like deer in headlights. He tries again, "So where're you blokes from?" The Canadians respond simultaneously, "Saskatoon, Saskatchewan!"

The Aussie cocks his head then walks back to his table. His mates ask him "So, where're they from?" to which he replied, "I don't know mate,they don't speak English!"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

MDaunt wrote:Oh, and...only Prairie people know how to pronounce Bienfait.
Hah! Well done, Michael, well done!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

econgator wrote:
teapot37 wrote:
Woof wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
DHicton wrote:If you say "SASS-KATCH-e-WAHN" or some variant, you'll probably hear, "Guess yer not fr'm around here, arya?"
See also "ore-a-GONE."
This.
LOO-ee-ville is a sure sign as well. (Even worse: LEW-is-ville.)
Should it be pronounced with 2 syllables (LOO-ville) or 3 (LOO-uh-ville)?
It can either be LOU-uh-vuhl or LUH-vuhl. (The first syllable in the second one is more like one and a half, running the LOU and the UH together quickly.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

And then there's Newfoundland, which even many Canadians can't say right. It rhymes with and is accented the same as "understand".
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Tonight was my night of missed connections. I guessed that "November 8, 2016" had to do with the olympics, and on FJ, I thought that "1660" was hinting at a historical figure.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
LeroyFinkelstein
Contributor

Post by LeroyFinkelstein »

DHicton wrote:And then there's Newfoundland, which even many Canadians can't say right. It rhymes with and is accented the same as "understand".
Wait, so like, NUFF-ernd-land?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I went for "Royal Academy of Science," then on second thought wondered whether "Science" should be singular or plural, then on third thought realized that the suffix in the clue comprised two prepositional phrases and "of Science(s)" would make it three in a row (with consecutive "of" phrases). Deeming that unwieldy, I determined there was a simpler "Royal" something, and "Society" popped into my head quickly enough. Phew.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Magna wrote:
Golf wrote:
PeteMoss wrote:The ONLY noteworthy part of this game was when Lara offered Sirena the tie for second place. It was a noble gesture that went nowhere.
It was a gesture that could not mean anything financially.
If they tied for second, they'd each get $2,000, wouldn't they? If so, that would be a $1000 gain for Sirena and no corresponding loss for Lara.
As already mentioned more than once, no they would not. But what amazes me is that someone with 1500+ posts on a Jeopardy message board was unaware of this when it's been discussed countless times.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

MarkBarrett wrote:The Shirley Temple clue had my silly mind wander to wonder how would a comedian make a joke using Shirley Temple African American? With someone adored the way she was is it even possible? Do we have any stand-up comics here?
Some famous white "African-Americans" are Teresa Heinz Kerry (born in Mozambique) and Charlize Theron (born in South Africa).
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Bamaman wrote:Had they tied for second, the one leading going into FJ gets $2,000 and the other gets $1,000. I think that is a dumb rule (they don't break a tie for first) and both should get $2,000. But I got jumped on last time I said a rule was dumb, so I won't comment further.
Good. We don't want you to hurt the rule's feelings.
OCSam
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

silverscreentest wrote:Some famous white "African-Americans" are Teresa Heinz Kerry (born in Mozambique) and Charlize Theron (born in South Africa).
Also Dave Matthews (SA, too).
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

LeroyFinkelstein wrote:
DHicton wrote:And then there's Newfoundland, which even many Canadians can't say right. It rhymes with and is accented the same as "understand".
Wait, so like, NUFF-ernd-land?
More like "noo-f'n-LAND".
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Had they tied for second, the one leading going into FJ gets $2,000 and the other gets $1,000. I think that is a dumb rule (they don't break a tie for first) and both should get $2,000. But I got jumped on last time I said a rule was dumb, so I won't comment further.
Again, I will agree with you: it is a dumb rule. Give them both the 2K, for goodness sake.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Aleve sponsors these prizes? Maybe it has agreed to $3,000 per show?

I agree, though - even if the extra $1,000 has to come out of the show's prize budget, an occasional extra $1,000 can't matter that much.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:The Canada category was Teen Week material. Only clammed on the new territory because I can never remember how to pronounce it.
You shouldn't feel bad for that. Neither the contestant nor Alex pronounced it correctly, either.

NOON-a-VOOT is the correct pronunciation. Not none-of-it.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
Bamaman wrote:The Canada category was Teen Week material. Only clammed on the new territory because I can never remember how to pronounce it.
You shouldn't feel bad for that. Neither the contestant nor Alex pronounced it correctly, either.

NOON-a-VOOT is the correct pronunciation. Not none-of-it.

Brian
True, but it does make a neat song playing on the similarities of the word.
bpmod wrote:...but the Toronto mayor, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.
Fixed your .sig for you. :) (Yes, I know very well what the original ref is from)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012