Random Questions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Random Questions

Post by countyguy »

1. If KJ were still the champ, would the powers eventually invite three new players because viewers would be bored of only Ken ever winning?

2. Do you think that if Eddie Timanus, instead of being a 5-day champ, had lost on the $2000 "Boys in the Band" clue in this game with an incorrect answer of "Genesis", he would be granted a return appearance on the grounds that, being blind, he would have a hard time distinguishing "Collins" from "Collen" from sound alone? I suppose the answer would be no because of the other band members' names, but...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Random Questions

Post by seaborgium »

countyguy wrote:2. Do you think that if Eddie Timanus, instead of being a 5-day champ, had lost on the $2000 "Boys in the Band" clue in this game with an incorrect answer of "Genesis", he would be granted a return appearance on the grounds that, being blind, he would have a hard time distinguishing "Collins" from "Collen" from sound alone? I suppose the answer would be no because of the other band members' names, but...
I think he's just as likely to be confused by that clue as any sighted contestant.
countyguy

Post by countyguy »

seaborgium wrote:
countyguy wrote:2. Do you think that if Eddie Timanus, instead of being a 5-day champ, had lost on the $2000 "Boys in the Band" clue in this game with an incorrect answer of "Genesis", he would be granted a return appearance on the grounds that, being blind, he would have a hard time distinguishing "Collins" from "Collen" from sound alone? I suppose the answer would be no because of the other band members' names, but...
I think he's just as likely to be confused by that clue as any sighted contestant.
A sighted contestant could see the clue and see that "Collen" is different from "Collins" (e is different from i), while a blind contestant would likely hear them almost exactly the same. However, that is perhaps just part of the disadvantage of being blind. :)
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Apparently GSN Live in 2010 did retire King of the MOuntain after December 29, 2010 because the same person won twenty Wednesday afternoon games of it(answer the most of five questions, and/or do it in a faster time than your opponent for $250 a game), and it was thought no one could beat said person. I don't imagine J! would retire a champ at this point because someone got tired of him.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

countyguy wrote:1. If KJ were still the champ, would the powers eventually invite three new players because viewers would be bored of only Ken ever winning?
You mean if he were still the champ ten years later? It's a difficult hypothetical to fathom. More interesting is, what if a new contestant passed KJ's record, maybe won a hundred games or something, and ratings go way down because viewers find this new champion dull. In that event, it's certainly possible that TPTB would either (a) try to strike a deal with the player to voluntarily retire, or (b) recruit contestants they think would have a chance of ending the streak (maybe they are saving Austin Powers for such a contingency).
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Mathew5000 wrote:
countyguy wrote:1. If KJ were still the champ, would the powers eventually invite three new players because viewers would be bored of only Ken ever winning?
You mean if he were still the champ ten years later? It's a difficult hypothetical to fathom.
If somebody kept winning so long that it no longer was good TV, I think the writers might just start giving the contestants weird boards to introduce randomness. Eventually some challenger would hit enough wheelhouse categories to defeat him.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

They'd make a board where every category is "potent potables."
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Wheatley wrote:
KJ explicitly made flash cards to deal with alcohol questions. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Wheatley wrote:
And after a correct answer, you'd have to down a shot of the drink in the clue.
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Mathew5000 wrote:
You mean if he were still the champ ten years later? It's a difficult hypothetical to fathom. More interesting is, what if a new contestant passed KJ's record, maybe won a hundred games or something, and ratings go way down because viewers find this new champion dull. In that event, it's certainly possible that TPTB would either (a) try to strike a deal with the player to voluntarily retire, or (b) recruit contestants they think would have a chance of ending the streak (maybe they are saving Austin Powers for such a contingency).
You realized you just described Herb Stempel, right? Congratulations, you just made Jeopardy! undertake an illegal act, ironically the one that Jeopardy! was created in response to.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

legendneverdies wrote:Apparently GSN Live in 2010 did retire King of the MOuntain after December 29, 2010 because the same person won twenty Wednesday afternoon games of it(answer the most of five questions, and/or do it in a faster time than your opponent for $250 a game), and it was thought no one could beat said person. I don't imagine J! would retire a champ at this point because someone got tired of him.
It's okay to use the word "I" when talking about yourself.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Mathew5000 wrote:
You mean if he were still the champ ten years later? It's a difficult hypothetical to fathom. More interesting is, what if a new contestant passed KJ's record, maybe won a hundred games or something, and ratings go way down because viewers find this new champion dull.
This event may be happening right now.
Mathew5000 wrote:In that event, it's certainly possible that TPTB would either (a) try to strike a deal with the player to voluntarily retire, or (b) recruit contestants they think would have a chance of ending the streak (maybe they are saving Austin Powers for such a contingency).
Speaking of which, by the way, as a side note, I am fairly new, and I am not quite sure I understand the mystique behind Austin Powers, despite some searching. Is he some kind of genius or something?
Last edited by RKane on Fri May 23, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

RKane wrote:By the way, as a side note, I am fairly new, and I am not quite sure I understand the mystique behind Austin Powers, despite some searching. Is he some kind of genius or something?
Yes.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

econgator wrote:
RKane wrote:By the way, as a side note, I am fairly new, and I am not quite sure I understand the mystique behind Austin Powers, despite some searching. Is he some kind of genius or something?
Yes.
Thanks, cheers, and have a nice weekend!
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

RKane wrote:Speaking of which, by the way, as a side note, I am fairly new, and I am not quite sure I understand the mystique behind Austin Powers, despite some searching. Is he some kind of genius or something?
If you understood, it wouldn't be "mystique".

Rex
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

RKane wrote:
Mathew5000 wrote:
You mean if he were still the champ ten years later? It's a difficult hypothetical to fathom. More interesting is, what if a new contestant passed KJ's record, maybe won a hundred games or something, and ratings go way down because viewers find this new champion dull.
Mathew5000 wrote:In that event, it's certainly possible that TPTB would either (a) try to strike a deal with the player to voluntarily retire, or (b) recruit contestants they think would have a chance of ending the streak (maybe they are saving Austin Powers for such a contingency).
Speaking of which, by the way, as a side note, I am fairly new, and I am not quite sure I understand the mystique behind Austin Powers, despite some searching. Is he some kind of genius or something?
He is a boardie and because of his prowess at our games on the board, his scores on the online tests (at least, what he says are his scores) and other trivia accomplishments that boardies have seen and faced on the field of trivia, he is a whiz at trivia, very knowledgeable and is - rightly - a legend around here.

So, yes, he is "some kind of genius or something".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

dhkendall wrote:
Mathew5000 wrote:
You realized you just described Herb Stempel, right? Congratulations, you just made Jeopardy! undertake an illegal act, ironically the one that Jeopardy! was created in response to.
Not sure whether you're joking, but in any event there's nothing illegal in what I suggested TPTB might do in that scenario. As for Herb Stempel, I had him in mind quite a bit during Arthur Chu's run. (There are some points of comparison but obviously some very major differences too.)
countyguy

Post by countyguy »

dhkendall wrote:
RKane wrote:
Mathew5000 wrote:
He is a boardie and because of his prowess at our games on the board, his scores on the online tests (at least, what he says are his scores) and other trivia accomplishments that boardies have seen and faced on the field of trivia, he is a whiz at trivia, very knowledgeable and is - rightly - a legend around here.

How do you know he is not cheating and lying? It is easy to look like a trivia genius and really just be crooked.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

countyguy wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
RKane wrote:
Mathew5000 wrote:

How do you know he is not cheating and lying? It is easy to look like a trivia genius and really just be crooked.
That is the general consensus, but we try to humor him.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

countyguy wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
RKane wrote:
Mathew5000 wrote:

Because we all need something, or someone, we can believe in