Tuesday, May 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by skullturf »

This game, for me, had several clues where I wouldn't have rushed to ring in first, but would have had a decent chance of getting the rebound.

"The Today Show" after "Good Morning America" is negged

"W.E.B." after "W.E." is negged

"Hanoi" after "Ho Chi Minh City" and "Saigon" are negged (By the way, I've gotten Hanoi/Saigon wrong while watching Jeopardy! before, but I've now missed it enough times that the correct answer is more firmly embedded in my mind.)

"Afghanistan" after "Iraq" is negged

Like others, I negged with Dearborn --> Detroit

I did reasonably well on this board, except that I did horribly in "Diners Club" and "American Express". (Some of my misses there, I would have had a chance on a DD, but they just weren't clicking quickly.)

Did anybody get "Helium" because of The Simpsons? ("Curse the man who invented helium! Curse Pierre Jules Cesar Janssen!" From "Bart's Comet", Season 6.)

The first thing I wrote down for FJ was "Mourning Becomes Electra". It didn't really feel right to me, but it was just word association involving Greek mythology. Fortunately, I know a tiny bit about who Electra was, and I realized it didn't quite seem to fit. So I kept thinking. "Pygmalion" occurred to me. Like Leander, I wasn't totally sure it was a 20th century play (knew it was probably early 20th century if it was 20th century) but I thought that its title probably came from mythology. I have absolutely no idea who the Pygmalion in mythology was, which to me made it a better choice than Electra about whom I know a tiny amount. As a bonus, the clue seemed to be vaguely suggestive of a man "molding" a woman in a particular way, which seemed vaguely consistent with Pygmalion. I made the switch in time.

Congratulations to Julia on an impressively dominating performance.
jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings

Post by jeopfansincebirth »

Someone should have told Jeanne to stay clam tonight against Julia.

As Mike Lange would say about Julia now becoming the all-time female champion, Celeste DiNucci has just lost her liquor license! Also, Julia is now ranked 8th all-time with this win.
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

skullturf wrote: Like others, I negged with Dearborn --> Detroit

I did reasonably well on this board, except that I did horribly in "Diners Club" and "American Express". (Some of my misses there, I would have had a chance on a DD, but they just weren't clicking quickly.)

Did anybody get "Helium" because of The Simpsons? ("Curse the man who invented helium! Curse Pierre Jules Cesar Janssen!" From "Bart's Comet", Season 6.)

The first thing I wrote down for FJ was "Mourning Becomes Electra". It didn't really feel right to me, but it was just word association involving Greek mythology. Fortunately, I know a tiny bit about who Electra was, and I realized it didn't quite seem to fit. So I kept thinking. "Pygmalion" occurred to me. Like Leander, I wasn't totally sure it was a 20th century play (knew it was probably early 20th century if it was 20th century) but I thought that its title probably came from mythology. I have absolutely no idea who the Pygmalion in mythology was, which to me made it a better choice than Electra about whom I know a tiny amount. As a bonus, the clue seemed to be vaguely suggestive of a man "molding" a woman in a particular way, which seemed vaguely consistent with Pygmalion. I made the switch in time.

Congratulations to Julia on an impressively dominating performance.
I too negged with Detroit, even though I live about half an hour from the city. I wrote down "Mourning Becomes Electra" and stuck with it :( .
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Not a Subaru.
southsidehitman
Has Been in Cliff Clavin's Kitchen

Post by southsidehitman »

dhkendall wrote:
skygilbert wrote: Isn't there a place called Dearborn near Detroit? I think I stayed in a hotel there one time.
Yeah, I thought so too which is why I negged on it (and probably will again next time it's asked, Dearbon is too ingrained with Detroit in my mind now.)
Dearborn is a major street through Chicago, and was my first choice on that one (having lived in Chicago almost all of my life before moving to LA).
Shmuel wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Pilgrimage" on the Visa DD. Judges?
I think that'd be good enough.

FJ is my favorite play, so instaget. :)
I might be mistaken, but Dylan's response was "Religious pilgrimage" which was BMS'd, because they were specifically looking for "Hajj". I thought that was an easy one, and was surprised he missed it.
"Well, I'm not quite ready, so I'm gonna do it now."
cosmos
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cosmos »

What was the wording of the Neanderthal clue? There was something about it that made me think Julia's response was wrong, plus she didn't seem to believe it herself.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was another enjoyable but very easy board. I was expecting an $1800 wager from Julia on that first DD, but I am glad that she went TDD.

I think that there might have been an error in one of the clues. I was a big fan of the Goosebumps books when I was a kid (I even did a TD question on them in TD 88), and I could have sworn that Welcome to Dead House was the first book in the series, not the thirteenth. Wikipedia seems to confirm this. Unless there were 12 books that came before it that were not part of the official series or I read the clue incorrectly, the clue was wrong.

I don't know what the official rule is on this but I didn't think that the male contestant should have been prompted on that DJ round DD, since he didn't phrase it in the form of a question the first time. It ended up not mattering, though.

It was cool that there were clues on Clueless, Easy A and BASEketball in this game. I love all those movies.

FJ should have been an instant get for anyone who has watched the show consistently over the last 10 years. The writers seem to be obsessed with having FJ clues on Pygmalion.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

If Julia had been this dominant from the beginning, there never would have been any doubters. I'm starting to find her more likable to boot (not that I ever disliked her, but I've gone from neutral to positive).

FJ was about $600 difficulty level in my opinion - unless people don't know that play at all anymore.

Has there ever been a one-person FJ such as we almost had today?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

skygilbert wrote:She's getting better and better and I'm adamantly rooting for her now. Go Julia! Pass Dave!
I don't know if I'm adamant, but I definitely want her to pass Madden. No offense to today's opponents, but I was really rooting for the rare event of playing FJ all alone.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

southsidehitman wrote:
I might be mistaken, but Dylan's response was "Religious pilgrimage" which was BMS'd, because they were specifically looking for "Hajj". I thought that was an easy one, and was surprised he missed it.
I think he actually said something like "religious reasons" and got BMS'd. I think "religious pilgrimage" would've probably been accepted. Alex said something like, "What is a hajj, or pilgrimage."
Sheepin' it real.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:If Julia had been this dominant from the beginning, there never would have been any doubters. I'm starting to find her more likable to boot (not that I ever disliked her, but I've gone from neutral to positive).

FJ was about $600 difficulty level in my opinion - unless people don't know that play at all anymore.

One of Tom Kunzen's regular games and Jeff Richmond's first round UToC win were both one player FJs. There have been a few others, too, I am pretty sure.
Last edited by StevenH on Tue May 27, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

StevenH wrote:
Stanislaus Jacob wrote:If Julia had been this dominant from the beginning, there never would have been any doubters. I'm starting to find her more likable to boot (not that I ever disliked her, but I've gone from neutral to positive).

One of Tom Kunzen's regular games and Jeff Richmond's first round UToC wins were both one player FJs. There have been a few others, too, I am pretty sure.
Two in season one, including one of 5-timer MIchael Day's game, and one from the third season has been posted on Youtube(Doug Molitor I think was the player). ISTR one from the second Trebek season.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Another awesome game by Julia, the steamroller... ah, she's impressive indeed, but my heart will always remain with Dr. J. :D

Stunned that the Begin/Sadat question as a triple-stumper... even with the photos supplied!

FJ was a stumper... though my wife got it within seconds.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

BADuBois wrote:Stunned that the Begin/Sadat question as a triple-stumper... even with the photos supplied!
That really surprised me, too. I could almost understand it for younger contestants who may not have been old enough to be watching the news back then--I would guess that most Jeopardy prep studying would be of names, locations, awards, etc., and not necessarily pictures. But I would've expected the woman in the middle to get that one.
Sheepin' it real.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

cosmos wrote:What was the wording of the Neanderthal clue? There was something about it that made me think Julia's response was wrong, plus she didn't seem to believe it herself.
I don't remember the exact wording, but it did make me think they were looking for a specific fossil and not a type of prehistoric human.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
cosmos wrote:What was the wording of the Neanderthal clue? There was something about it that made me think Julia's response was wrong, plus she didn't seem to believe it herself.
I don't remember the exact wording, but it did make me think they were looking for a specific fossil and not a type of prehistoric human.
It was phrased as "...this man." I had the same kind of miss.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
skygilbert
Valued Contributor

Post by skygilbert »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
Provided that they seemed to want specifics and the geography that was given (something in Europe), my guess was Ötzi the iceman.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Yesterday I said maybe, today I'm pretty sure that Julia has reconsidered, or taken some good advice on, her DD wagering strategy. If she is indeed eager to improve strategically, on top of now being really at home on the buzzer, she will be hard to beat.

But I'm still waiting for a game without a bunch of unanswered barely-medium-difficulty clues.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I guess my Daily Double Saudi Arabia guess on "To Worship" would have been wrong.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Jackhammer Julia pounds on!

But there were many TS, including some I found easy, especially Sadat-Begin.

I came up with Hajj but wonder if they would have accepted "religious pilgrimage"? And I think after it was over, Alex should have told Dylan he forgot to phrase in the form of a question.
Last edited by floridagator on Tue May 27, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.