Thursday, June 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Re: Thursday, June 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

lisa0012 wrote:As the resident psychologist, I am very frustrated that I didn't run the psychology category. Somehow in all of my training I never learned about EST. Then again, after reading about it, it sounds like a bunch of crap, so I guess that's why they don't teach it.
Count your blessings. It was a 70's fad, kind of like the pet rock (and half as useful).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Lefty wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Millard Fillmore's a pretty bad guess for the president. Lincoln was the first reelected president after Jackson, and two presidents died in office in the meantime, so there were eight in 24 years. (To compare, there were three during the first 24 years of the presidency.) Ten years before Lincoln took office, Fillmore was president, and the clue was looking for the president nearly thirty years earlier. (I got it with some luck: I decided 1833 was too late for J.Q. Adams and just went for the next one.)
If you remember that the Panic of 1837 took place during Van Buren's Presidency, then four years earlier it had to be Jackson.
Or you could jump back twice from WHH / 1841. (Presidents dying every 20 years makes it pretty easy to get a starting point)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
darkgreenblue
Contributor

Post by darkgreenblue »

gnash wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
gnash wrote: Maybe.
Good one. One more for the tally for that game still being brought up in 2014. :)
Is there a game that more precipitously shaped J! history?

Maybe Ken Jennings' game 5 (http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1552), where he missed FJ in what would be a very rare non-lock game (though just barely) for him. If the opponent hadn't missed it too, there would be no Legend of Ken.

That FJ was the highly misleading clue which negbaited Cyprus (Ken's response) as the "southernmost point in Europe"; if you've never heard of the island of Gavdos, it's awfully hard to know it's off the coast of Crete (where they also speak Greek, and which indeed is not as southerly as Cyprus).
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

seaborgium wrote:...
Millard Fillmore's a pretty bad guess for the president. Lincoln was the first reelected president after Jackson, and two presidents died in office in the meantime, so there were eight in 24 years. (To compare, there were three during the first 24 years of the presidency.) Ten years before Lincoln took office, Fillmore was president, and the clue was looking for the president nearly thirty years earlier. (I got it with some luck: I decided 1833 was too late for J.Q. Adams and just went for the next one.)
John Adams was a one-term kinda guy, so it was three presidents in the first score. On 1/20/2017, we may see the three in 24 years scenario play out again. Previously seen with Jefferson-Madison-Monroe, Hoover-FDR-Truman (well, 23 years, 300+ days), and FDR-Truman-Ike (27 years, 300+ days).
OCSam
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

darkgreenblue wrote:
gnash wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
gnash wrote: Maybe.
Good one. One more for the tally for that game still being brought up in 2014. :)
Is there a game that more precipitously shaped J! history?

Maybe Ken Jennings' game 5 (http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1552), where he missed FJ in what would be a very rare non-lock game (though just barely) for him. If the opponent hadn't missed it too, there would be no Legend of Ken.

That FJ was the highly misleading clue which negbaited Cyprus (Ken's response) as the "southernmost point in Europe"; if you've never heard of the island of Gavdos, it's awfully hard to know it's off the coast of Crete (where they also speak Greek, and which indeed is not as southerly as Cyprus).
I don't think we had the weekly poll back then (did we?) Maybe Mark can include it sometime.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

darkgreenblue wrote:Maybe Ken Jennings' game 5 (http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1552), where he missed FJ in what would be a very rare non-lock game (though just barely) for him. If the opponent hadn't missed it too, there would be no Legend of Ken.

I was actually able to guess that FJ correctly because of a question that I had saw on WWTBAM not too long before. That question was something like "Europe's southernmost point is located on Gavdos, which is an island that belongs to which country?" The answer was "Greece."
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Bamaman wrote: I don't think the players ever grasped the idea of the the State of Film category...
And I didn't grasp it until reading your post. :oops:
floridagator wrote:The last champ I was this excited about was Julia Collins.
Wow, that long ago!
dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I was able to learn the English monarchs in order not too long ago from watching a Horrible Histories video. I don't know the exact years of them, but I have a rough idea and that has helped me watching the show.
It's been shared here a few times (at least one by me), and is a great way to learn. They should do one for the Presidents too...
Well, there's this one, which is good for photos, order, and first-level data, but I can't heartily endorse it as it contains some errors of fact (e.g., says Garfield was assassinated in 1882 -- and since this date is used to complete a rhyme [with "two", lame-o :roll: ] it looks suspiciously intentional, which makes me like it even less. :evil: ). (Though I do, in general, like Jonathan Coulton.)

seaborgium wrote:(I got it with some luck: I decided 1833 was too late for J.Q. Adams and just went for the next one.)
I can't say I know dates for all the presidents (work in progress), but I have managed to anchor a few of them in time.

For this one, I use the old TV show "Quincy, M.E.". The job of a medical examiner is pretty important, and you just never know when you might get that call to come in to work. So basically, it's a 24-hour-a-day kind of job. 24 hours <-> Quincy gives 1824 <-> John Quincy Adams. I knew he only served one term, so it had to be the next guy.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
darkgreenblue
Contributor

Post by darkgreenblue »

jkbrat wrote:For this one, I use the old TV show "Quincy, M.E.". The job of a medical examiner is pretty important, and you just never know when you might get that call to come in to work. So basically, it's a 24-hour-a-day kind of job. 24 hours <-> Quincy gives 1824 <-> John Quincy Adams. I knew he only served one term, so it had to be the next guy.
Wow, that mnemonic is almost worthy of Michael Scott! :D
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Thursday, June 5, 2014 Game Discussion

Post by Category 13 »

TryphonTournesol wrote:That FJ was one of those that just seems wayyyyy too easy.
Agreed. As soon as the clue popped up, I thought "THIS, is supposed to be challenging????"
I HATE it when they have a no-brainer Final in such a close game. It generally relegates who ever is leading at the end of DJ as the automatic winner, so someone who loses the lead on the last few clues, after being in control the whole game, is screwed.
Such as Sarah, lost by a lousy $200.
El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by El Jefe »

opusthepenguin wrote:
mxc_takeshi wrote:I actually learned all of the presidents before I started kindergarten because my parents had a set of encyclopedias (which I still own), and one of the volumes was a special edition dedicated solely to all 41 (at the time) presidents, and I just browsed at the pictures and names.
So that was when Clinton was president?
Well, unless the encyclopedia refused to vector the lie that George Washington was the first president...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I got the "State of Film" reference on the very first clue, but that didn't help me one damn bit since I skunked the category. Texas Chainsaw Massacre was the only one of the five that I had even heard of.

Also, bumping since I still see nothing in the clue:
TenPoundHammer wrote:What led to "memory" on Psychology for $400?
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:As the resident psychologist, I am very frustrated that I didn't run the psychology category. Somehow in all of my training I never learned about EST. Then again, after reading about it, it sounds like a bunch of crap, so I guess that's why they don't teach it.
Count your blessings. It was a 70's fad, kind of like the pet rock (and half as useful).
Isn't half of zero still zero?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

El Jefe wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
mxc_takeshi wrote:I actually learned all of the presidents before I started kindergarten because my parents had a set of encyclopedias (which I still own), and one of the volumes was a special edition dedicated solely to all 41 (at the time) presidents, and I just browsed at the pictures and names.
So that was when Clinton was president?
Well, unless the encyclopedia refused to vector the lie that George Washington was the first president...
More likely it refused to vector the lie that Grover Cleveland was two different people.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

dhkendall wrote:Fj will probably poll above 90%. not 100% because I missed it. :( For some reason I first thought of Mount Rushmore, from the somewhat recent (FJ?) clue about it "watching over America's skyline" or something like that, then realized I was in the wrong century, but never got out of the midwest, I landed on the Gateway Arch - even though I figured the correct answer was probably one that could "watch" (i.e. is depicted with eyes) ruling out St. Louis. The Statue of Liberty never once occurred to me. And I'll probably be alone in this regard (*maybe* with TPH, but I"m not even placing the usual easy bet on that.)
You're not alone. I went with the exact same response...except mine was worse because I went with it right off the bat, and stuck with it without even going through others much. And I don't have the excuse of being Canadian, as do you... :)

Yet more "I've been there" misses...Grand Canyon was IN THE CLUE, yet I went with a kneejerk-idiot response of it for the Glen Canyon clue. (I've passed over that dam a few times, and would have been able to clearly remember it had I been using my brain.) And then we totally read "Hamlet" in my senior year English class, and in a video project I PLAYED Polonius...5 years must be too much, because I blanked on his name.

In good news, almost swept Hymns and TV Doctors (yes! pop culture redemption!), and did well on a few other categories as well. Was lost on "State of Film" but at least recognized the chain early on, and at one point I was shouting at the TV (not very characteristic for me): "States! STATES!" IT didn't appear to have worked. :D

Sad to see Sarah go, but I agree that Molly's a nice champ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So is the church organist the only one here who ran Hymns?
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:So is the church organist the only one here who ran Hymns?
I almost ran it, but then again, I'm a former church organist, so I suppose it's the same thing. :)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

OrangeSAM wrote:
seaborgium wrote:...
John Adams was a one-term kinda guy, so it was three presidents in the first score. On 1/20/2017, we may see the three in 24 years scenario play out again. Previously seen with Jefferson-Madison-Monroe, Hoover-FDR-Truman (well, 23 years, 300+ days), and FDR-Truman-Ike (27 years, 300+ days).
Thanks. That was a dumb mistake.
TenPoundHammer wrote:So is the church organist the only one here who ran Hymns?
I did, as I recall.
jeopardyhopeful
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyhopeful »

I ran the Hymns category, thanks to my 18 years of constant churchgoing in a rural SC Baptist church.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I ran hymns.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I think I did, can't remember (I record which ones I got right and wrong, but only that, I don't save the category names, I'd have to double-check against the Archive to see where it was on the board) [EDIT: Yup, ran it, thanks for the reminder, Mark!]. But, running the PowerPoint in my church means I have to be aware of the music (so that I can get the next part ready when it's supposed to be).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

I'm almost sorry that Angry Atheist Man isn't around to post about how oppressive he found the Hymns category.

Almost.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS