SHC Round 3 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: SHC Round 3 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by boson »

econgator wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:
NJCondon wrote:My knowledge of the history of that period was gleaned mostly from reading Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, and, fortunately, my memory served me correctly as to who was king in 1687.

Nice board today. After my performance the last two weeks, I was pleased to start on a reasonably high note.
Are those books worthwhile, Nick?
They seem to be well-received books, but I just couldn't get into them. I started to read the first novel, Quicksilver, but couldn't finish it. There's something about his style of writing that -- to me, at least -- almost makes it a chore to continue.
I'm a huge Neal Stephenson fan. The Baroque Cycle is good - the first volume I found lots of fun - but volumes 2 and 3 fade towards the end. This is a common criticism of his work - the endings are often clumsy and abrupt. He writes novels in a very information-dense way, covering tons of science, technology and politics as he romps through his plots. I could see how some would find his writing style a chore - there are more digressions than progressions on each page - but I devoured his books. It could be the "geek" factor: Stephenson is a geek writing for other geeks.

I just reread Cryptonomicon which is my favourite work of Stephenson's. Despite being a novel of the dot com boom (interspersed with WWII codebreaking), it still feels current, fun and interesting.

NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

boson wrote:
econgator wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:Are those books worthwhile, Nick?
They seem to be well-received books, but I just couldn't get into them. I started to read the first novel, Quicksilver, but couldn't finish it. There's something about his style of writing that -- to me, at least -- almost makes it a chore to continue.
I'm a huge Neal Stephenson fan. The Baroque Cycle is good - the first volume I found lots of fun - but volumes 2 and 3 fade towards the end. This is a common criticism of his work - the endings are often clumsy and abrupt. He writes novels in a very information-dense way, covering tons of science, technology and politics as he romps through his plots. I could see how some would find his writing style a chore - there are more digressions than progressions on each page - but I devoured his books. It could be the "geek" factor: Stephenson is a geek writing for other geeks.

I just reread Cryptonomicon which is my favourite work of Stephenson's. Despite being a novel of the dot com boom (interspersed with WWII codebreaking), it still feels current, fun and interesting.
Sorry for not replying earlier, Jeanie. I more or less agree with boson, although I think the books didn't fade through the Cycle so much as readers got tired. These are very long, very dense, very complicated books, and they can wear you the heck out. A different writer could probably have told the same story in 300 pages that it took Stephenson 3000 pages to tell, which would have been less exhausting but not nearly so interesting. Like boson said, Stephenson is sort of the apotheosis of a certain species of geek writer: If you think an entire chapter about the smelting and processing of iron to make high-carbon steel using pre-Industrial technology might be fascinating, then you might love these books; if that sounds like a form of punishment, you're going to hate them.

billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

Woof wrote: Yup, and I even remember the jingle that accompanied their commercials ("Can't get enough of Super Sugar Crisp... they keep me going strong") Of course, courtesy of Youtube, all this ephemera has been preserved for better or worse.
Too bad Honey Comb wasn't one of the answers ("Honey Comb's big, yeah yeah yeah. It's not small, no no no...")

Just for the record, I've reformed my evil ways. Our cereal cabinet now boasts organic oatmeal and raisin bran.

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Woof wrote:
gnash wrote:Junk food has always been my worst category and will probably always be. Not only did I not grow up in the US, but I've practically never eaten sugary, non-whole-grain cereal (frosted Shredded Wheat is probably the most sugary I go), and it is almost the same with my children. My older son did have a brief Fruit Loops phase and I learned of Count Chocula watching Jeopardy! - otherwise I might have clammed the whole category.
As I've said before, it's amazing to me how much of dated American pop culture you do know under the circumstances, but here's an example where it's the commercials rather than the programming that you were being quizzed on and, thankfully, American commercials weren't exported with the same vigor that the programming was.
True, commecrials are different, especially for products that have not spread to world markets (and American sugary foods have not quite had the worldwide success of American sugary drinks). Then again, I don't know the current commercials, either, as I try my best not to see them.

And thanks for the praise, but much of American pop culture is consumed world-wide, plus my wife is American by birth, and so are some of my close relatives. Objectively, my immigrant disadvantage is almost limited to not following the same sports (but even that can be an advantage when soccer or "world sports" comes up as a category).

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Oh, man! Major neg bait on today's 9 pointer. I totally forgot that Mozart wrote Don Giovanni and never gave a thought to Falstaff. My prediction is that this question won't get many correct responses.

ETA: Even worse with Rigoletto confounding the picture

NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

Ugh. I even put the 9-pointer in the wrong frakking language. Neg.

I'll content myself with going 3/5 in a sports category, which, for me, is not bad.

BoK

Post by BoK »

Woof wrote:Oh, man! Major neg bait on today's 9 pointer. I totally forgot that Mozart wrote Don Giovanni and never gave a thought to Falstaff. My prediction is that this question won't get many correct responses.

I was going back and forth between Rigoletto and Il Trovatore and figured a troubador is more likely to sing about loving two married woman than a hunchbacked jester. I completely forgot about Falstaff.

ej!fan

Post by ej!fan »

All that cereal and no mention of the epic rivalry between Quisp and Quake.

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Woo-hoo! More sports! More opera!

I used to hate the dreaded opera category on J! until I went and did something about it. Because the plots are relatively simple, I didn't find it difficult to develop a rudimentary knowledge of the classics. I have yet to see an opera live, but my daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed the Placido Domingo performance of Rigoletto on TV a few weeks ago.

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

ej!fan wrote:All that cereal and no mention of the epic rivalry between Quisp and Quake.
My brothers and I were participants in taste tests during the development of Quisp back in '64. Now that I think about it, this might explain much...

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

BoK wrote:
Woof wrote:Oh, man! Major neg bait on today's 9 pointer. I totally forgot that Mozart wrote Don Giovanni and never gave a thought to Falstaff. My prediction is that this question won't get many correct responses.

I was going back and forth between Rigoletto and Il Trovatore and figured a troubador is more likely to sing about loving two married woman than a hunchbacked jester. I completely forgot about Falstaff.
Another "Il Trovatore" here. I didn't forget about "Falstaff"; but it would have helped if I had known that its plot is largely based on "The Merry Wives of Windsor" (something that seems obvious when I think about it).

And for the 15-pointer, in trying to guess an Italian composer who wasn't Verdi or Puccini, I just picked the wrong one . . . :cry:
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

Asphodel
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Asphodel »

Well, this just goes to show that the things you study in preparation for Jeopardy! don't necessarily stick in your mind a year after the fact. <Sigh>, opera, I knew you well...for maybe 3 weeks or so.

billiej

Post by billiej »

Sports and opera? Yikes! Karmic payback for my sugar-laden youth?

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought Gretzky was too easy an answer for the 8-pointer. Them's the breaks!

After I submitted my answers and started looking at my classmates' work, I knew on sight that Falstaff was correct. Too bad that's an opera I can only name when explicitly fed the Shakespeare connection. But I'm happy about the 15-pointer: before I ever got The Call, I decided to brush up on my opera by looking through J! Archive for past clues, and Lucia di Lammermoor -> Donizetti was one of the first things I committed to memory.

nlw44

Post by nlw44 »

Well, apparently Wayne Gretsky is the (or in this case, an) answer to all NHL questions! I laugh in disbelief at going 5 for 5 in a sports category - HAH.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Well. We all know our sugary cereals, don't we? (except for Gnash, perhaps) I grew up in a family that had nothing but contempt for the sugary cereals from Trix to Cap'n Crunch and I don't think we ever bought any of the blatantly sugar-laden ones--then, of course, we poured enough spoonfuls of sugar from the sugar bowl that we could have grown sweet peas in the syrupy milk bog left when the wheaties or corn flakes were gone.

Still weak in opera; but with no audition this year despite my score on the online, I've got plenty of time to study, and in the tradition of my so-long-ago college days, I'll commit those to memory the night before my tape date. (as well as the entire Bible, mythology, broadway, ballet, the succession of British royalty, etc)

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

couple strong categories (big sports fan, and worked in retail music for over 10 years), and I may have stumbled onto my second perfecto of the challenge!

sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

StevenH wrote:
sherder wrote:Sugar or Honey Smacks are acceptable answers.
What about just "Smacks"?
"Smacks" is good.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

sherder wrote:
StevenH wrote:
sherder wrote:Sugar or Honey Smacks are acceptable answers.
What about just "Smacks"?
"Smacks" is good.
Thanks, sherder!

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I am kicking myself for the Verdi question. Rigoletto was my first instinct, then I thought of Falstaff but stuck with Rigoletto because it seemed more likely to be valued at 9 points. I can't help but wonder if that "your first instinct is usually correct" thing is a lie.

I thought I had a perfecto sans the 8-point hockey question so I considered guessing at it but I decided not to, and it's a good think that I didn't because I was going to go with Brett Hull, and Bobby Orr was my second guess. Count me as another who thought Gretzky seemed too obvious.

And if you had played my TD 88 from about 14 months ago then Donizetti would have been an instant get :)