SHC Round 3 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

SHC Round 3 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by DadofTwins »

Here you go.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: SHC Round 3 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof »

Gah! Can't believe that I put Charles II for James II. I didn't realize that James II was around long enough to accomplish anything of consequence! :(
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Woof wrote:Gah! Can't believe that I put Charles II for James II. I didn't realize that James II was around long enough to accomplish anything of consequence! :(
I did the same, so no foul, no harm. [/alex]
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

I hadn't heard of it, but it sounded like something James II would do. I was off on the Kenneth Branagh film by 7 years.
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

My knowledge of the history of that period was gleaned mostly from reading Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, and, fortunately, my memory served me correctly as to who was king in 1687.

Nice board today. After my performance the last two weeks, I was pleased to start on a reasonably high note.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

It wasn't Charles? I didn't think James had that much charity in his soul to forgive Protestants, too.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Good batch of clues, the sort of clues I feel I should ace, but something always mucks it up...

Disappointed I had to clam on Branagh, but Hamlet just didn't feel right. (Although, if I brushed up on my Olivier, remembering the first Shakespeare adaptation that got HIM Academy recognition, that would have been useful...)

I would like to thank yesterday's clue from the 365 Jeopardy! clues desk calendar for the 3 pointer...but I knew it before then anyway, so I won't thank it and instead remark on the coincidence. :lol:

Missed the coin flip by 20 years on the PM. Added to list: How do I tell Gladstone and Disraeli apart?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote:Good batch of clues, the sort of clues I feel I should ace, but something always mucks it up...

Disappointed I had to clam on Branagh, but Hamlet just didn't feel right. (Although, if I brushed up on my Olivier, remembering the first Shakespeare adaptation that got HIM Academy recognition, that would have been useful...)

I would like to thank yesterday's clue from the 365 Jeopardy! clues desk calendar for the 3 pointer...but I knew it before then anyway, so I won't thank it and instead remark on the coincidence. :lol:

Missed the coin flip by 20 years on the PM. Added to list: How do I tell Gladstone and Disraeli apart?
Gladstone came after Disraeli. So, if you knew that Disraeli was dead at the time of the events described, you'd have a pretty good guess that it was Gladstone. :D

ETA: OK, they went back and forth a bit, but by 1885 Disraeli was dead and buried.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Woof wrote:
Volante wrote:Good batch of clues, the sort of clues I feel I should ace, but something always mucks it up...

Gladstone came after Disraeli. So, if you knew that Disraeli was dead at the time of the events described, you'd have a pretty good guess that it was Gladstone. :D

ETA: OK, they went back and forth a bit, but by 1885 Disraeli was dead and buried.
I always get Gladstone and Disraeli mixed up (confounded by the fact that there's a Gladstone St. and a Disraeli Street in the same part of town (the "not nice" part) that I know were named after the British PMs when they were built (and WInnipeg was beginning its "boom stage" at that time.) Other than Disraeli also being the name of a freeway and bridge there (built in the 1960s, named after the street built in the 1880s that runs into it) I have no way of telling the PMs apart either, and I know that they went back and forth, but don't know the years!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote:ETA: OK, they went back and forth a bit, but by 1885 Disraeli was dead and buried.
True, but is there some reason why we would know that? Seems a bit tough for a 9-pointer.
billiej

Post by billiej »

I did a Gladstone/Disraeli coinflip and got lucky. I already had too many clams {burp}
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

ack- felt good about both Hamlet and Disraeli. oh well.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
Woof wrote:ETA: OK, they went back and forth a bit, but by 1885 Disraeli was dead and buried.
True, but is there some reason why we would know that? Seems a bit tough for a 9-pointer.
I want to say "Yes." When you distill the question, it's basically asking for the PM in 1885. Period. Even backing up from Khartoum, it's still a 'PM in 1885' question which J! doesn't do often. Further adding to the trouble is "Victoria + Minister" is Pavlov for Disraeli. (Plus, Disraeli died in 1881. Sure, that's four years, but that's as long as James II's reign and, well...)

But despite that, I just can't bring myself to totally discount the clue. It might have helped to know that Victoria's relationship with Gladstone was acrimonious, while she created a title for Disraeli (meaning she'd have less reason to 'rebuke' Disraeli...however Gordon was a beloved figure as well, so at that point it weighs the scales...of course Disraeli was more in favor of expansion than Gladstone, who wanted to pull out of Sudan...course, that too might be too much for a 9er as well)...

Basically, it's still a legit question and it's my own fault for guessing on a coin flip. :lol:

I just can't help but wonder how a little TOM of, say, "This PM was not 'happy' being rebuked by Queen Victoria..." would've changed things, though.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: It might have helped to know that Victoria's relationship with Gladstone was acrimonious
That's likely the key (assuming you don't have the dates memorized, which I don't).
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

I can never keep Disraeli and Gladstone's time periods straight, so I clammed it. Luckily. I think I was coming down on Disraeli's side before I chickened out.

And I LOVE movie categories!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Holy mackerel, Andy.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

NJCondon wrote:My knowledge of the history of that period was gleaned mostly from reading Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, and, fortunately, my memory served me correctly as to who was king in 1687.

Nice board today. After my performance the last two weeks, I was pleased to start on a reasonably high note.
Are those books worthwhile, Nick?
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Shoot, I almost answered Mako, but thought for some reason it came from Hawaiian.

I trust Sugar Smacks will be acceptable instead of instead of Honey Smacks? I knew the cereal as Sugar Smacks growing up, and had no idea it had undergone so many name changes.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Andromus wrote:Shoot, I almost answered Mako, but thought for some reason it came from Hawaiian.

I trust Sugar Smacks will be acceptable instead of instead of Honey Smacks? I knew the cereal as Sugar Smacks growing up, and had no idea it had undergone so many name changes.
Have the same hope, although apparently the name change happened during my childhood and I never noticed...
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Andromus wrote:I trust Sugar Smacks will be acceptable instead of instead of Honey Smacks? I knew the cereal as Sugar Smacks growing up, and had no idea it had undergone so many name changes.
I would hope so. It's essentially the same product today as what I got hyped up on as a child, back when Quick Draw McGraw was on the front of the box. The cereal has also been called simply "Smacks," which is how I answered.