Jeopardy! show improvement poll

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Jeopardy! show improvement poll

Post by dhkendall »

slam wrote: I actually do like the removal of the 5-game limit. And it certainly has achieved some of the goals that TPTB want. Ratings spiked big time during Ken Jennings' run. The show also received some extra publicity during Arthur Chu's and Julia Collins' runs this year. None of that attention would have occurred with the 5-time limit in place.
Sigh, this. People don't seem to realize that the changes they don't like (i.e. removal of the 5 game limit) might not be something they like, but it is good for the show for the reasons slam said above.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

slam wrote:I definitely don't like providing a minimum amount to the winner since that would affect the internal strategy of the game a bit. It would encourage a bigger wager from a leader with a lock since they'd have less to lose (e.g. $30,000 to $7,500 to $2,000 - leader should clearly wager $14,999 because they are essentially getting 3:1 odds on their wager without risking the game). But this seems artificial, doesn't it? So, why bother?
And you just know that a lot of leaders wouldn't make that $14,999 wager. A minimum guarantee would further endanger the health of boardies and of our AV equipment. :D
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

RandyG wrote:Wholeheartedly agree. Based on this thread I signed up for Sony Studio Insiders yesterday and then today was given the opportunity to complete the survey. One of the questions asked me what I particularly liked about Jeopardy! Two of my points, in shortened form: it's consistent and doesn't have a contrived feel.
Well, except for the whole answer in the form of a question thing. Changing that would save time and eliminate those awkward moments when a contestant forgets the convention. Never going to happen, of course. I'm not even sure I want it to.
cosmos
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cosmos »

Second screen:

1. Show the actual taping date.

2. List of air dates and winners for the whole season.

3. Video clips from the contestants' auditions and/or pregame practice sessions.

4. Clips of Alex's bloopers when everyone falls down laughing and they have to edit the tape.

5. Other behind the scenes stuff.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

StevenH wrote:The only thing I would add is to go back to the 5 win limit.
How come? I hated the five game limit. I think eliminating that was the best change the show ever made.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

opusthepenguin wrote:
RandyG wrote:Wholeheartedly agree. Based on this thread I signed up for Sony Studio Insiders yesterday and then today was given the opportunity to complete the survey. One of the questions asked me what I particularly liked about Jeopardy! Two of my points, in shortened form: it's consistent and doesn't have a contrived feel.
Well, except for the whole answer in the form of a question thing. Changing that would save time and eliminate those awkward moments when a contestant forgets the convention. Never going to happen, of course. I'm not even sure I want it to.
I agree that the question in the form of an answer is a bit contrived but after 50 years of that particular convention being associated with Jeopardy!, eliminating it would be a much bigger mistake than any gains (and time saving and avoiding unfortunate occasional negging of contestants would be two) that would occur. How often does someone get negged for not answering the form of a question, anyway? Alex lets contestants off the hook in the J! round and it only happens once in a while in the DJ! round. And it hasn't happened in a long, long time in FJ! since contestants are instructed before the clue is revealed to write "Who is..." or whatever is appropriate.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Vanya wrote:Daily Doubles: if you hit a DD, you must wager all your money (points, dollars, whatever), or you can pass it to one of the other contestants, and he or she must wager it all.

Clue crew: hot girls only.

Future host: ditto.
You forgot to specify that for the contestants as well. Also, they should wear bikinis. And they should eliminate the question and answer portion of the show in favor of slow motion calisthenics. Sheesh. :roll:

I like the Daily Double idea, but it would probably take up too much time. I actually wouldn't ... hang on. Let me just put in some ear plugs and don this helmet and flak jacket ... wouldn't be averse to cutting the show back to 5 categories per round. That would give time to finish every single game, no exceptions, without destroying the rapid-fire pace. When a Daily Double is uncovered, each contestant could lock in a wager and the clue would be awarded to the highest wager. In the event of a tie, the clue goes to the contestant who uncovered the DD.

Hmmm. To do that three times would probably eat up more clock than could be saved by eliminating a single category.
We could deduct the value of any unrevealed clues from the contestant's winnings. Provide a little motivation for them to speed things up.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

My suggestion (originally made on the old Sony boards): Create a separate series called "Tournament Jeopardy!", 46 weeks of nothing but special tournaments, including new ones such as an Armed Forces Tournament, fan-voted Favorites Tournaments, a Giants vs. Giant Killers Tournament, etc. Limited only by imagination, it could provide new ways both to bring in new contestants and to bring back old ones. And there would be no need to make unnecessary changes to the existing show.

Rex
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Rex Kramer wrote:My suggestion (originally made on the old Sony boards): Create a separate series called "Tournament Jeopardy!", 46 weeks of nothing but special tournaments, including new ones such as an Armed Forces Tournament, fan-voted Favorites Tournaments, a Giants vs. Giant Killers Tournament, etc. Limited only by imagination, it could provide new ways both to bring in new contestants and to bring back old ones. And there would be no need to make unnecessary changes to the existing show.

Rex
Only if they include a tournament for "people who have been trying to get on the show for 30 years." :)

I suppose I'll agree to a reduction to 20 or 25 years if needed to fill up the tournament.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Rex Kramer wrote:My suggestion (originally made on the old Sony boards): Create a separate series called "Tournament Jeopardy!", 46 weeks of nothing but special tournaments, including new ones such as an Armed Forces Tournament, fan-voted Favorites Tournaments, a Giants vs. Giant Killers Tournament, etc. Limited only by imagination, it could provide new ways both to bring in new contestants and to bring back old ones. And there would be no need to make unnecessary changes to the existing show.

Rex
Sounds like a job for (then not-existing) Crackle!

One question, though, what would regular J! run during summer hiatus?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ArthurChu
Mad Genius Who Destroyed Jeopardy!

Post by ArthurChu »

Note: The livetweeting was all my own idea, but the Reddit AMA was pitched and set up by people from Jeopardy.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Rex
I actually do like this suggestion. As you point out, it doesn't change the basic way the game is played.

When and on what channel(s) would it be broadcast? Do you anticipate it as a GSN or other cable network show?
cosmos
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cosmos »

A variation of J! where every contestant has an opportunity to respond to every clue just so long as they finish before the standard time limit. They'd be wearing headphones so they couldn't hear each other. It would be a bit confusing for the audience with them all talking at the same time, but so what? :D The first to buzz and be correct would pick the next clue, but all three could score or be negged on it. You could directly compare contestants on the exact same material to find what they all know and don't know.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

dhkendall wrote:One question, though, what would regular J! run during summer hiatus?
That's actually quite a brilliant point -- regular J! could run some of the best of the Tournament J! tourneys, so to regular-only viewers they wouldn't even look like reruns. And there should still be enough other good tourneys for TJ! to run during hiatus as well.

Speaking of summer hiatus . . . ?

Rex
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

zakharov wrote:
lieph82 wrote:
Magna wrote:
countyguy wrote:Second Chance J! is the idea that interests me the most. I feel like certain contestants really deserve second chances. Diana North needs to be invited back. One missing "g" from her FJ! response and her J! career is over. Same with Toby Crew and the "Zelda" fiasco, especially given his pre-FJ! score.
This sounds like an interesting idea - a tournament of people who lost because of technical errors or because they got run over by a steamroller.

Also, for celebrity tournaments, try to find some smart celebrities who could pass the written test if they had to and will keep the game moving. Or, if you are going to invite celebrities who merely have a smart persona, then give them a challenging board so everyone can have a good chuckle at their expense.
I would love to see a celebrity get on the show the way regular folk do. I'd love it even more if nobody promoted it and I was shocked when Johnny Gilbert announced some A-list actor or bigtime politician.
We got Richard Cordray. That isn't good enough for you people???
Neal Pollack just knocked on my door, crying his eyes out.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

cosmos wrote:A variation of J! where every contestant has an opportunity to respond to every clue just so long as they finish before the standard time limit. They'd be wearing headphones so they couldn't hear each other. It would be a bit confusing for the audience with them all talking at the same time, but so what? :D The first to buzz and be correct would pick the next clue, but all three could score or be negged on it. You could directly compare contestants on the exact same material to find what they all know and don't know.
Perhaps another change they could do is they have everyone buzz in. The person who buzzes in 1st gets to answer, if a neg on their part, they go to second-best buzzer, and so on. If all 3 get it wrong, the money is not deducted and the next clue is randomly selected. If that randomly selected clue is a DD, they would do a tiebreaker question to see who gets the DD.

What do you think?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I suspect a substantial fraction of the 2nd and 3rd forced responses would be "I dunno, I was going to say the same wrong thing the first buzzer did." Not a good use of gameplay time.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
StevenH wrote:The only thing I would add is to go back to the 5 win limit.
How come? I hated the five game limit. I think eliminating that was the best change the show ever made.
I want more people to be able to get on and have opportunities to win more games. It's cool that we have gotten to see what some super champs are capable of, but at the end of the day I don't think that it's worth it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It ain't broke, so don't fix it.

Sorry, I think having an auction on DDs is a horrible idea and would not want to see it happen as it would slow the game down and fewer clues would be revealed.

I liked the old five day limit as there was a certain charm about someone retiring undefeated, but they aren't going back to that.

I think the dollar values are fine where they are at. But I would up the consolation prizes for the losers, but no minimum for the winner. I'd also strike a deal with a local hotel to put the players up for free in exchange for an on air plug. There are 230 games a year. Throw out the tournies and we're down to about 200 regular games. If you don't let the locals stay at the hotel, that may be around 300 or so people needing a room for one or two nights. If you're putting people in rooms that are empty otherwise, the hotel isn't giving up a whole lot for an ad airing on national TV every day. A free plane ticket might be nice, but that might be a logisitical headache.

I'm not a fan of the Clue Crew, but they aren't ditching them and I don't mind them that much. I do not like celebs reading clues, especially when you have the NY Times theater or food critic droning on forever. Don't get me started on Oprah.

Please, no more celebrity weeks. If they wan to be charitable, have every TOC player pick a charity and the show can match their winnings to donate to the charity.

I would not mind seeing a celebrity get on the show through the normal process. So what if they don't "need" the money. I'll bet many of the people we see on the show aren't hurting for cash.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote:I'm not a fan of the Clue Crew, but they aren't ditching them
I don't know... I think the poll questions suggest they're thinking about some shakeups. They might want to see if the Clue Crew is earning ROI. I think they stopped most of the unsponsored travel a long time ago, which is a shame.