Wildcard Cutoffs redux

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wildcard Cutoffs redux

Post by seaborgium »

The 1991 Teen Tournament QFs have been archived.

Last wild card: Maggie Large, $9,800 (up from $5,800, FJ 3/3)
Highest score eliminated: Chris Beckner, $9,701 (up from $8,700, FJ 2/3)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:22 pm The 1991 Teen Tournament QFs have been archived.

Last wild card: Maggie Large, $9,800 (up from $5,800, FJ 3/3)
Highest score eliminated: Chris Beckner, $9,701 (up from $8,700, FJ 2/3)
Thank you for posting that. The records have been updated.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Updated to include 2021 TOC.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Updated for 2021 Professors Tournament
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:37 pm 1989 Seniors Tournament (Season 5)-Held in July-Won by Ouida Rellstab

Not enough information about this tournament is available.
I found a newspaper article about 1989 Senior Tournament quarterfinalist Ruth Boyd. In it, she's quoted as saying she flew out on Sunday, taped on Monday, "hung around Tuesday as a standby for the semi-finals," and flew back Wednesday. This suggests to me that her $4,800 was the highest score that didn't qualify for the semis—with the last wild card being Freda Mammina at $5,000, it was previously a reasonable assumption to make, but not a sure thing with QF5's precise results unknown. But if she was the alternate for the semis, chances are good that the two QF5 players who were eliminated had lower scores than hers. (I suppose either or both of them could have finished ahead of Ruth but behind Freda, and declined to be an alternate the next day, if you still want to be prudent about it.)

[edit: added in Bamaman quote just to put things in context]
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks for the information. I’ll add it in and update my stats when I get time. The possible end of the classic tournament format (I think Davies said he doesn’t like wild cards) has been a bummer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:57 am
Bamaman wrote: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:37 pm 1989 Seniors Tournament (Season 5)-Held in July-Won by Ouida Rellstab

Not enough information about this tournament is available.
I found a newspaper article about 1989 Senior Tournament quarterfinalist Ruth Boyd. In it, she's quoted as saying she flew out on Sunday, taped on Monday, "hung around Tuesday as a standby for the semi-finals," and flew back Wednesday. This suggests to me that her $4,800 was the highest score that didn't qualify for the semis—with the last wild card being Freda Mammina at $5,000, it was previously a reasonable assumption to make, but not a sure thing with QF5's precise results unknown. But if she was the alternate for the semis, chances are good that the two QF5 players who were eliminated had lower scores than hers. (I suppose either or both of them could have finished ahead of Ruth but behind Freda, and declined to be an alternate the next day, if you still want to be prudent about it.)

[edit: added in Bamaman quote just to put things in context]
I updated the stats based on the information from the article as well as the S4 Senior tournament as all the games are now archived. For statistical purposes, I treated the DQd player’s score as if it was still the last wild card player.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

$5,000 (Freda Mammina)-FJ wrong, players 1/3
$4,800 (Ruth Boyd)-FJ wrong, players 1/3

QF% is unarchived, Assumption Ruth was the highest scoring non-wild card is based on a newspaper article courtesy of Seaborgium. Stats will be changed if QF5 is discovered.
I stumbled upon confirmation that Ruth was the highest scorer to miss the semifinals in a decade-old post from rmfromfla (RIP). In discussion of the Teen Tournament triple zero game, someone mentioned the Seniors Tournament triple zero game, but erroneously dated it as 1989 instead of 1991. Robert came in to set the record straight and included this (I edited out some funky formatting):
rmfromfla wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:37 am (looking at all the results from 1989 & there were no zero games; the runners-up in the fifth quarter-final game had scores of 0 & 1.)
I'm not sure what was known about the 1989 Seniors Tournament in 2013. None of the games were archived yet (the first ones added were Ouida Rellstab's four episodes, entered between seasons 30 and 31 in 2014), and I don't think any of the record keepers had any info yet either. I can't figure out what led Robert to presciently share info from the single episode that would elude the Archivists to this day, unless it was just "here are the two lowest scores from those QFs."