My J! TOC1 series

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings

My J! TOC1 series

Post by jeopfansincebirth »

I have hosted three Jeopardy! series in my neighborhood, which produced three champions:

Summer 2010 Game Series: won by Dr. Melissa Eaton needing three games to win two
Summer 2013 Tournament: won by Beth Work
Tournament of Notables 1: won by Nick Cerroni in a sweep

Towards the end of this month, I will be emceeing a Tournament of Champions series between these three champions. The games will be filmed for an August 2 upload onto YouTube (which, coincidentally, is the day after the season 30 finale).

Game material for this TOC1 is expected to be a bit more difficult than normal given the caliber of competition in this series (most of the material will be from TOCs from seasons 14-29).

I analyzed the players for TOC1 in a two-note series on my Facebook. Melissa has the edge on Daily Doubles, less likelihood of negging, and rebounds. Beth has the edge in Final. Nick has the edge on batting average, scores (raw and Coryat, in a single condensed category), and correct responses. So what's the tiebreaker?

That tiebreaker is akin to a statistic that Steve Jones, the voice of Penn State football and basketball used to manually calculate before the Internet, which was free throw percentage in the final four minutes of close games, which measured player performance in clutch situations. With Jeopardy!, that statistic can be called scores in the final five clues of the Double Jeopardy! Round of close games. The case which tilts the edge to Melissa is game 3 of the Summer 2010 Game Series, where, out of a possible 8400 points in the final five clues of Double Jeopardy!, she scored 5200 of them compared to just 1200 for Nick. So, Melissa is the favorite to win TOC1.

However, as we all know, Jeopardy! games are not contested on paper, but rather in the studio, which means that the best player in a TOC field does not always win the TOC.
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"