Boardies on the Show - Season 28

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Boardies on the Show - Season 28

Post by NJCondon »

Okay, after a gentle (and totally warranted) prompt, I've attempted to update the appearance list at the top of this thread. If I've missed anyone, either upcoming or already-aired, please let me know via PM or something.
closetbuddhism
Contributor

Post by closetbuddhism »

I imagine that Maggie might be in the Hall of Fame, with a picture of her from when she was a contestant? And maybe there are wedding photos of Grant and Michele Loud as well? In my mind, these things are true.

If Maggie and Grant Loud were to get married, it'd be the Speak-Loud wedding. :lol:
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

NJCondon wrote:Okay, after a gentle (and totally warranted) prompt, I've attempted to update the appearance list at the top of this thread. If I've missed anyone, either upcoming or already-aired, please let me know via PM or something.
That's very helpful; now I know when to really sit up and pay even more attention for upcoming games!

Also:

mpolikoff (Morgan Polikoff): November 18, 2011
nagnasalf (Francis Lansangan): November 21, 2011
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

RJL wrote:
closetbuddhism wrote:Maggie was on as a contestant?
That's what she said. (That was totally not supposed to be a reference to the popular punchline.)

She told us about it when I auditioned, something about being very happy to get to say "Who is Bob Dylan?" because she's a big fan of his. I may have misunderstood, though. I can't find her in the archive, maybe it was in the Art Fleming days?
Maggie Speak's game show behind-the-scenes career predates Trebek J! I think, so I don't know if she'd have been allowed to be a contestant on Trebek J!. Maybe it was late in the run of Fleming J!(I think she's in her late 50s or so). Of course, Leonard Koss was on the show(lost to Ken J.) when he was producing the short-lived PAX game show On the Cover in 2004(he and his brother Allen worked for Barry-Enright in the 80s).
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

seaborgium wrote:
HugoZ wrote:And since tomorrow will be the one-year anniversary of that fateful day, let me say Happy Anniversary to Turd Ferguson. I'm debuting a new and improved avatar in your honor.
Sweet!
Homophones FTW!
dmleach
Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan

Post by dmleach »

legendneverdies wrote:Maggie Speak's game show behind-the-scenes career predates Trebek J! I think...
Maggie's IMDb page lists "The Dating Game" as her first credit. I'm guessing based on the rest of that page's chronology that it would have been the syndicated revival that started in 1978.

For what it's worth, one of the things I got both Robert and Maggie talking about at lunch was how they got started as contestant coordinators. They both said it was a friend-of-a-friend sort of thing, with Robert saying he got his start on some sort of MTV-style dating show and Maggie saying her first show was "The Newlywed Game." Neither of those agree with teh intarwebs, so I suppose we ought to take what's out there with a lick of salt.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

legendneverdies wrote:Maggie Speak's game show behind-the-scenes career predates Trebek J! I think, so I don't know if she'd have been allowed to be a contestant on Trebek J!. Maybe it was late in the run of Fleming J!(I think she's in her late 50s or so). Of course, Leonard Koss was on the show(lost to Ken J.) when he was producing the short-lived PAX game show On the Cover in 2004(he and his brother Allen worked for Barry-Enright in the 80s).
I remember her telling our group that she's more of a "Rock 'N Roll Jeopardy!" contestant-type than a "regular Jeopardy!" contestant-type. That amused me because I think the same about myself. Perhaps the clues were, on the average, much easier on R&RJ!, but I remember feeling a lot smarter watching that show than watching the regular show. So, that was the show I wanted to be on back then... that, or this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_On_(game_show) (I'd have loved to be on Game On, and in retrospect really wish I'd actually tried)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

HugoZ wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
HugoZ wrote:And since tomorrow will be the one-year anniversary of that fateful day, let me say Happy Anniversary to Turd Ferguson. I'm debuting a new and improved avatar in your honor.
Sweet!
Homophones FTW!
I wondered if you'd notice. Thanks for the acknowledgment!
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

dmleach wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:Maggie Speak's game show behind-the-scenes career predates Trebek J! I think...
Maggie's IMDb page lists "The Dating Game" as her first credit. I'm guessing based on the rest of that page's chronology that it would have been the syndicated revival that started in 1978.

For what it's worth, one of the things I got both Robert and Maggie talking about at lunch was how they got started as contestant coordinators. They both said it was a friend-of-a-friend sort of thing, with Robert saying he got his start on some sort of MTV-style dating show and Maggie saying her first show was "The Newlywed Game." Neither of those agree with teh intarwebs, so I suppose we ought to take what's out there with a lick of salt.
THe MTV dating show Robert worked on must have been Singled Out in the mid 90s. If it wasn't an MTV show, I don't know what it would have been, maybe Studs(early 90s syndicated)?
closetbuddhism
Contributor

Post by closetbuddhism »

Who was on Rock & Roll Jeopardy!?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

in honor of TF's TD...
SNL Celebrity J!: "I'll take, `Boar Dies on the Sow' for 200, Trebek!"
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

Paucle wrote:in honor of TF's TD...
SNL Celebrity J!: "I'll take, `Boar Dies on the Sow' for 200, Trebek!"
Wow, I've got like a million comebacks for that, all of them wildly inappropriate!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

The answer is... ::: ding::: Jeff Probst! Yes, closetbuddhism?
closetbuddhism wrote:Who was on Rock & Roll Jeopardy!?
Correct! Select again!
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:Maggie Speak's game show behind-the-scenes career predates Trebek J! I think, so I don't know if she'd have been allowed to be a contestant on Trebek J!. Maybe it was late in the run of Fleming J!(I think she's in her late 50s or so). Of course, Leonard Koss was on the show(lost to Ken J.) when he was producing the short-lived PAX game show On the Cover in 2004(he and his brother Allen worked for Barry-Enright in the 80s).
I remember her telling our group that she's more of a "Rock 'N Roll Jeopardy!" contestant-type than a "regular Jeopardy!" contestant-type. That amused me because I think the same about myself. Perhaps the clues were, on the average, much easier on R&RJ!, but I remember feeling a lot smarter watching that show than watching the regular show. So, that was the show I wanted to be on back then... that, or this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_On_(game_show) (I'd have loved to be on Game On, and in retrospect really wish I'd actually tried)
I remember she said the contestant coordinators compete among themselves to see who can get Final Jeopardy the fastest. Maybe that's what she was talking about?
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

To those who taped recently:

How'd Alex look? Is he still behind his podium for the interview session or at the contestants' lecterns like in the past? Still limping?
dmleach
Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan

Post by dmleach »

chuck5982 wrote:To those who taped recently:

How'd Alex look? Is he still behind his podium for the interview session or at the contestants' lecterns like in the past? Still limping?
I was there November 1, and at that time Alex was downstage with the contestants during the interviews. During rehearsal someone in my group asked the stage manager, John, where Alex would be for the chats and John told us it was still touch-and-go and depended on how he felt that day. He still had a slight limp, but seemed to be getting around reasonably well and in fact paced back and forth on the apron of the stage while taking the audience's questions during the commercial breaks.

Assuming there were no breaks in the production, the shows that are airing now would have been recorded just two weeks before I was there. Since Alex is still behind his podium for the interviews in the current episodes, my class must have been the either the first or second group where he was out and about.
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

dmleach wrote:
chuck5982 wrote:To those who taped recently:

I was there November 1, and at that time Alex was downstage with the contestants during the interviews. During rehearsal someone in my group asked the stage manager, John, where Alex would be for the chats and John told us it was still touch-and-go and depended on how he felt that day. He still had a slight limp, but seemed to be getting around reasonably well and in fact paced back and forth on the apron of the stage while taking the audience's questions during the commercial breaks.

Assuming there were no breaks in the production, the shows that are airing now would have been recorded just two weeks before I was there. Since Alex is still behind his podium for the interviews in the current episodes, my class must have been the either the first or second group where he was out and about.
When I was taping, back on September 20-21, 9/21 was the first day he came out without the boot. He said it wasn't exactly endorsed by his doctor, and made some jokes about trying to drive while wearing the boot. In terms of tracking Mr. Trebek's progress, the first two episodes of his first on-air bootless day were aired on October 31 and November 1, then there was the two-week ToC, then the November 16 Jepisode came around. For us in the studio, there was no break. When I saw the November 17-18 Jepisodes at home, I thought Mr. Trebek looked increasingly strained as he made his way through his first bootless tape day. He stayed behind the podium for the Contestant Chit-Chats, but was able to hang out downstage during the no-audio over-the-credits conversation.

As both a viewer and a contestant, I rather like Mr. Trebek conducting the Contestant Chit Chat from the podium rather than walking up to the individual contestants. What do others think? Should he conduct Contestant Chit Chat from his podium, or do you like it when he gets "up close and personal" with the contestants?
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

RobotJepLady wrote:When I saw the November 17-18 Jepisodes at home, I thought Mr. Trebek looked increasingly strained as he made his way through his first bootless tape day.
No doubt he was in agony, yet dared not moan or spew invective, for Alex would not trouble deaf heaven with his bootless cries.

Rex
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

Rex Kramer wrote:No doubt he was in agony, yet dared not moan or spew invective, for Alex would not trouble deaf heaven with his bootless cries.

Rex
He was manful in his pain. He did have to do a pickup, but it was for this clue:

"A temple frieze at Kailasanatha depicts a battle from "The Mahabharata", an ancient epic from this country."

Honestly, I couldn't tell what he was correcting for; it sounded perfectly fine in gameplay, but that's a sentence that would challenge most native English speakers who don't also rock Hindi. It wasn't like, during the game itself, he said, "A temple frieze at Kailsathan...Kailsant...Kailasantana...Kailisamantha, Oh, dear God, why did I refuse the boot? WHYYYYYYEEEEE?"

I'd like to think I would've (robotically) said, "What is India?" regardless, but I wasn't tested to that extent.
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

So, I just received news that our own Jeanie Kenkel (a.k.a. thejeopardyfan), after many years of work, finally taped Jeopardy on 7 December and has an airdate of 28 March! Congratulations, Jeanie!