Boardies on the Show - Season 28

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Not a Boardie, but ...

Post by seaborgium »

tagNV wrote:... I have it on good authority that crossword constructor extraordinaire joon pahk will appear on J! on Monday, October 3rd.

I hope this doesn't mean they've hit their quota. ;)
Ooh, I think he's responsible for "Guess My Word," which DadofTwins got me semi-hooked on a few months ago. Probably the first non-boardie contestant I've heard of previously whom I haven't known personally!
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Boardies on the Show - Season 28

Post by Suze »

Nicky wrote:Suze and JBillyGirl, could you please tell me how Alex was during your tapings? Did he hobble or stand in the not usual places (for instance, was he always behind the mike, and not in front of the contestants during either the interviews or FJ!)
I mentioned it in the Trebek Injured thread, Nicky, and I think Jbillygirl discussed a bit of her taping observations in her Intros entry. But yes, Alex was much more stationary than usual. He stayed behind the podium for the interviews, and conducted his commercial-time audience chats from further upstage instead of down near the audience. A crew guy helped him hobble around a bit as needed. He was a real champ. I'm grateful he was there, when he obviously, physically, should have been staying off his feet. But mentally, he was the same old Alex. I'd be doped to the gills and passed out on a couch all day if I had his injury.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

tagNV wrote:... I have it on good authority that crossword constructor extraordinaire joon pahk will appear on J! on Monday, October 3rd.

"extraordinaire" is hyperbolic, but the rest of your information is correct. thanks to suze for pointing this board out to me; we were on the same taping day (although i did not get drawn until the day after, hence my air date the following week). she and all the other contestants were simply delightful.
seaborgium wrote:Ooh, I think he's responsible for "Guess My Word," which DadofTwins got me semi-hooked on a few months ago. Probably the first non-boardie contestant I've heard of previously whom I haven't known personally!
glad you enjoy the game. was that you crowing about nailing my word in 6 guesses last sunday?
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Best of retroactive success to the both of you!
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Thank you, Bud. :)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jpahk wrote:glad you enjoy the game. was that you crowing about nailing my word in 6 guesses last sunday?
Ha, yes! My history gives me plenty of reason to be humble about my performance, so when things went better I had to preserve it somehow!
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

jpahk wrote:

"extraordinaire" is hyperbolic, but the rest of your information is correct. thanks to suze for pointing this board out to me; we were on the same taping day (although i did not get drawn until the day after, hence my air date the following week). she and all the other contestants were simply delightful.
seaborgium wrote:Ooh, I think he's responsible for "Guess My Word," which DadofTwins got me semi-hooked on a few months ago. Probably the first non-boardie contestant I've heard of previously whom I haven't known personally!
glad you enjoy the game. was that you crowing about nailing my word in 6 guesses last sunday?
JOON! How did I miss you posting there? I swear that post wasn't there when I looked at this thread last. Dumb blonde moment.

Joon is a wicked nice guy. I've got to check out his puzzles now.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Suze wrote:JOON! How did I miss you posting there? I swear that post wasn't there when I looked at this thread last. Dumb blonde moment.

Joon is a wicked nice guy. I've got to check out his puzzles now.
Glad to hear that Joon is a nice guy in person, as he is a raging tyrant on the cruciverb-l crossword construction mailing list.

(Just kidding. :) He is quite down to earth, helpful, and enviably creative.)

Question for all you recent contestants: Did any of the contestant coordinators say anything about the official Sony Jeopardy! message boards, or about JBoard.tv? Are they still keeping tabs on us?

Rex
jbillygirl
Valued Contributor

Post by jbillygirl »

Rex Kramer wrote:Question for all you recent contestants: Did any of the contestant coordinators say anything about the official Sony Jeopardy! message boards, or about JBoard.tv? Are they still keeping tabs on us?

Rex
Zero. Zip. Nada. As best I can recall. I have no idea if they are watching us or not, but I heard no evidence of same.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

It never came up. I'm guessing the major Sony hack is not something the employees are encouraged to discuss with contestants.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

Suze wrote:JOON! How did I miss you posting there? I swear that post wasn't there when I looked at this thread last. Dumb blonde moment.
it wasn't. since i'm a new member, one of the mods had to approve the post before it showed up, but then it got slotted back in chronologically after the fact.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Rex Kramer wrote:Question for all you recent contestants: Did any of the contestant coordinators say anything about the official Sony Jeopardy! message boards, or about JBoard.tv? Are they still keeping tabs on us?

Rex
Perhaps it's because Sony is down and I can't confirm, but before The Crash, did the CCs talk about the Sony board a lot, and clearly indicate that someone's online reputation preceded them when they got to Culver City and/or their audition?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

dhkendall wrote:Perhaps it's because Sony is down and I can't confirm, but before The Crash, did the CCs talk about the Sony board a lot, and clearly indicate that someone's online reputation preceded them when they got to Culver City and/or their audition?
I don't remember hearing about the CCs spontaneously bringing up the Sony board, but they did respond when contestants brought it up in the Green Room. My impression was that they were not gathering information about contestants before they arrived in Culver City, but that they were just curious about the discussions about the daily games and the reactions to and comments by contestants once they appeared on the show. I think it's safe to say, for example -- unless someone else here knows otherwise -- that TPTB found out about Jeff Kirby's unauthorized return to the show when they read the discussion about it on the Sony boards. I'm certain it's safe to say that the CCs knew which players returning for ToCs had been active Boardies.

Rex
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

jpahk wrote:
it wasn't. since i'm a new member, one of the mods had to approve the post before it showed up, but then it got slotted back in chronologically after the fact.
It happened again. WITCHCRAFT!

(Heh, I didn't know post-screening was turned on here for anyone.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Suze wrote:
jpahk wrote:
It happened again. WITCHCRAFT!

(Heh, I didn't know post-screening was turned on here for anyone.)
We try to approve them as quickly as possible, but yeah, it can make for some "missed" posts.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

dhkendall wrote: Perhaps it's because Sony is down and I can't confirm, but before The Crash, did the CCs talk about the Sony board a lot, and clearly indicate that someone's online reputation preceded them when they got to Culver City and/or their audition?
This is a direct quote, when I checked that it wouldn't be a problem that GeoPETom and I were both regulars here before we played each other, "we don't care what happens on the boards".
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Perhaps it's because Sony is down and I can't confirm, but before The Crash, did the CCs talk about the Sony board a lot, and clearly indicate that someone's online reputation preceded them when they got to Culver City and/or their audition?
This is a direct quote, when I checked that it wouldn't be a problem that GeoPETom and I were both regulars here before we played each other, "we don't care what happens on the boards".
Strange, I'm sure I remember Gneq/gnash/Sven not being allowed to play until Pastor Dave was off because of their boardie status - it may be from them knowing each other on another website, but I think they'd care even less about a non-Sony site.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:Strange, I'm sure I remember Gneq/gnash/Sven not being allowed to play until Pastor Dave was off because of their boardie status - it may be from them knowing each other on another website, but I think they'd care even less about a non-Sony site.
They'd actually played trivia games online against each other--rather extensively, I believe.
bigbor
Valued Contributor

Post by bigbor »

Add me to the list of boardies who will appear this season. I taped today and my show will be broadcast October 25.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

bigbor wrote:Add me to the list of boardies who will appear this season. I taped today and my show will be broadcast October 25.
Congrats and thanks for sharing the exciting news.