Boardies on the Show - Season 28

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Re: Boardies on the Show - Season 28

Post by RobotJepLady »

bpmod wrote:
RJL wrote:I hope I'm not totally off base for asking this in this thread, but what about contestants who join the boards right after their show airs? There've been two of us in the last five days, and I wonder how many other people came here because they were looking to see how people reacted to their Jepisodes.
What about them? We love them; we welcome them; we can't live without them. It is good of you to grace us with your presence. I think I speak for everybody when I say I hope you stick around. Your experience is something that quite a few of us are still only dreaming of, and we can all (even those who have lived the dream) can learn from it, and you.

Brian
Oh, that's very kind! (blushes but doesn't use blushing icon because "embarrassed" isn't exactly the right word)

I was actually just wondering how many of us there are.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Just keep your eyes open... Sometimes they come disguised.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

bpmod wrote:
RJL wrote:Since my apperances were split by two weeks of the ToC, I could've easily returned wearing the same outfit. If anyone even noticed over the two week ToC interruption, they would've thought it was perfectly reasonable for someone to wear the same outfit "two weeks later."
Oh, I don't know... The folks around here at least are very perceptive. Why, they even catch on when a contestant wears the same tie ten years later.

Brian
Hee! I read about that jackass in the Jeopardy! page of tvtropes.org. Actually, that's how I learned about the J!Archive, too.

I figured people would spot that I was wearing the same dress, but wouldn't think anything of it because, hey, two weeks had supposedly gone by. I still would've changed my jewelry, since I was wearing those sets to thank the people who'd given them to me as graduation gifts a few months ago.
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

alietr wrote:That new Jeopardy Hall of Fame? It better have a statue of Maggie in it!
I was actually there the day they cut the ribbon...but of course, we were busy running around like idiots in rehearsal/hometown howdy on the soundstage. Will Valverde (Nicest Guy in the Whole Wide World, tm, pat pending) actually got paint on his jacket from the newly minted Hall; wardrobe got it cleaned up nicely, plus he and I were the two holdovers to the next day of taping, so his, ahem, wardrobe malfunction wasn't too bad.

I imagine that Maggie might be in the Hall of Fame, with a picture of her from when she was a contestant? And maybe there are wedding photos of Grant and Michele Loud as well? In my mind, these things are true.
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

bpmod wrote:Just keep your eyes open... Sometimes they come disguised.

Brian
How mysterious! I would love to reconnect with the people I met during the two days I was there, and in a couple of cases I have, but I can understand people being reticent in a public forum.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

HugoZ wrote:And since tomorrow will be the one-year anniversary of that fateful day, let me say Happy Anniversary to Turd Ferguson. I'm debuting a new and improved avatar in your honor.
Sweet!
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

seaborgium wrote:
HugoZ wrote:And since tomorrow will be the one-year anniversary of that fateful day, let me say Happy Anniversary to Turd Ferguson. I'm debuting a new and improved avatar in your honor.
Sweet!
Incidentally, Seaborgium, I haven't figured you out yet. By which I mean, I haven't been able to suss out your game via J!Archive. I'm sure I could comb your posts and figure it out, but every since my last Jeopisode aired, I've become so lazy! Could you do a gal a solid and give me a cheat code? If not, I will find you! oh, yes, I will.

But maybe, with hints, I could feel a little less stalker-y?
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

HugoZ wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:Thanks, Emily (I was, though, hoping for a harder FJ! in that second game!), and congrats on your win.
I was hoping for a harder FJ! in your first one.

And since tomorrow will be the one-year anniversary of that fateful day, let me say Happy Anniversary to Turd Ferguson. I'm debuting a new and improved avatar in your honor.
Thanks, Hugo, it was kind of an odd week, with three easy FJ!s before lunch (IIRC, all three were 85%+ on the weekly poll), followed by two much harder ones in the later games.
RJL wrote: Incidentally, Seaborgium, I haven't figured you out yet. By which I mean, I haven't been able to suss out your game via J!Archive. I'm sure I could comb your posts and figure it out, but every since my last Jeopisode aired, I've become so lazy! Could you do a gal a solid and give me a cheat code? If not, I will find you! oh, yes, I will.

More than a hint, I guess, but http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6261

A neat feature of the J-Archive someone pointed out once is that if you search for a board handle, it will find the corresponding contestant (assuming the entry has his/her board handle) I see your entry doesn't have your userid yet... I assume it'll get there eventually.
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
HugoZ wrote:
RJL wrote: Incidentally, Seaborgium, I haven't figured you out yet. By which I mean, I haven't been able to suss out your game via J!Archive. I'm sure I could comb your posts and figure it out, but every since my last Jeopisode aired, I've become so lazy! Could you do a gal a solid and give me a cheat code? If not, I will find you! oh, yes, I will.

More than a hint, I guess, but http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6261

A neat feature of the J-Archive someone pointed out once is that if you search for a board handle, it will find the corresponding contestant (assuming the entry has his/her board handle) I see your entry doesn't have your userid yet... I assume it'll get there eventually.
Oh, YOU!!! I remember you from your initial apperance and thinking you were like some kind of adorable surfer-gamer trivia rock star! How nice to "see" you again. ::attempts to stop fangirling::

And thank you kindly, Mr. Ferguson (whom I did successfully stalk!), for the link. Does J!Archive update from the Sony boards to these boards? Maybe that is the issue at hand!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Turd Ferguson wrote:A neat feature of the J-Archive someone pointed out once is that if you search for a board handle, it will find the corresponding contestant (assuming the entry has his/her board handle) I see your entry doesn't have your userid yet... I assume it'll get there eventually.
Actually, Robert would probably be better than I to address this one, but I can offer what I know (or believe) of the situation:

The Archivists had been putting in the "official" Sony-run Jeopardy! Message Board screennames, if known, of the contestants whom they entered into the Archive, assuming, I guess, that that resource would mostly remain intact. When that resource disappeared, and there was no telling if or when it might return, and subsequently, this board was started as an interim measure, that practice stopped. I believe that now that this is becoming the defacto Jeopardy! message board, it will resume. That is one of the things alluded to in the thread entitled The Board is Moving!

At the risk of giving away a(nother) secret, there had been an issue with linking the "Daily Recap Thread" in the message board with the game in the Archive because the Archivists had no control over what Sony might do to the url's of those threads. That has also changed.

Brian

ETA: Did it really take me more than ten minutes to write that post?
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

bpmod wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:A neat feature of the J-Archive someone pointed out once is that if you search for a board handle, it will find the corresponding contestant (assuming the entry has his/her board handle) I see your entry doesn't have your userid yet... I assume it'll get there eventually.
Actually, Robert would probably be better than I to address this one, but I can offer what I know (or believe) of the situation:

The Archivists had been putting in the "official" Sony-run Jeopardy! Message Board screennames, if known, of the contestants whom they entered into the Archive, assuming, I guess, that that resource would mostly remain intact. When that resource disappeared, and there was no telling if or when it might return, and subsequently, this board was started as an interim measure, that practice stopped. I believe that now that this is becoming the defacto Jeopardy! message board, it will resume. That is one of the things alluded to in the thread entitled The Board is Moving!

At the risk of giving away a(nother) secret, there had been an issue with linking the "Daily Recap Thread" in the message board with the game in the Archive because the Archivists had no control over what Sony might do to the url's of those threads. That has also changed.

Brian

ETA: Did it really take me more than ten minutes to write that post?
You are a gentleman and a scholar! As my comment upthread indicated, I had rather assumed that any screenname I saw on the J!Archive referred to the Sony boards, and that this (awesomely mcawesomesauce now with picante guaceawesome) board was, hmm, more under the radar? So if you're ever in central Connecticut, feeling blue about the ten minutes it took you to write this post, I will so totally buy you (and a plus-one) the beverage of your choice at http://javapaloozacafe.com/

ETA: link-repair vis a vis: Javapalooza.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Most people who have signed on here are, thankfully, using the same nom-de-screen as they did on the Sony board.

I can think of a few who are not, but they have identified themselves at some point as "formerly known as...".

I don't know, though, if any of those fall into the category of Jeopardy! contestant.

Brian

RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

bpmod wrote:Most people who have signed on here are, thankfully, using the same nom-de-screen as they did on the Sony board.

I can think of a few who are not, but they have identified themselves at some point as "formerly known as...".

I don't know, though, if any of those fall into the category of Jeopardy! contestant.

Brian
I'm new in town, but I'd be inclined to give 'em a pass based on...chronic re-invention syndrome? Is that, like, a "thing?"
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
HugoZ wrote:

Again, thank you. I am not so very not a gamer, I peaked with the home edition of Pac Man in 1985, thus in hindsight my spontaneous phrasing my request as asking for a "cheat code" is even more high-larious (at least to me it is). Perhaps I subconsciously made the link? Oh, if only I were truly that clever!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

RJL wrote:... and that this (awesomely mcawesomesauce now with picante guaceawesome) board ...
She has a way with words. She should definitely stay.
closetbuddhism
Contributor

Post by closetbuddhism »

Maggie was on as a contestant?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

No, not what I meant. Just that she's a treasure.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

bpmod wrote:The Archivists had been putting in the "official" Sony-run Jeopardy! Message Board screennames, if known, of the contestants whom they entered into the Archive, assuming, I guess, that that resource would mostly remain intact. When that resource disappeared, and there was no telling if or when it might return, and subsequently, this board was started as an interim measure, that practice stopped. I believe that now that this is becoming the defacto Jeopardy! message board, it will resume. That is one of the things alluded to in the thread entitled The Board is Moving!
among the season 28 boardies, it looks like archive has jboard screennames for suze, sergio, me, gabor, and ryan, but not katie, emily, or morgan. (also, the ToCers are in there, except for charles.) jessica and a couple of other ToCers are listed only with jeopardy message board screennames (which i think are the same here). i apologize if i've forgotten somebody.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

jpahk wrote:
bpmod wrote:The Archivists had been putting in the "official" Sony-run Jeopardy! Message Board screennames, if known, of the contestants whom they entered into the Archive, assuming, I guess, that that resource would mostly remain intact. When that resource disappeared, and there was no telling if or when it might return, and subsequently, this board was started as an interim measure, that practice stopped. I believe that now that this is becoming the defacto Jeopardy! message board, it will resume. That is one of the things alluded to in the thread entitled The Board is Moving!
among the season 28 boardies, it looks like archive has jboard screennames for suze, sergio, me, gabor, and ryan, but not katie, emily, or morgan. (also, the ToCers are in there, except for charles.) jessica and a couple of other ToCers are listed only with jeopardy message board screennames (which i think are the same here). i apologize if i've forgotten somebody.
i took care of katie, charles, emily, morgan and francis. i'll have to check with the archive team to see if jessica and others like her get two listings or just the original. it's easy enough to do, but it's even easier if the real person and the jboard name are listed together in such requests.
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

closetbuddhism wrote:Maggie was on as a contestant?
That's what she said. (That was totally not supposed to be a reference to the popular punchline.)

She told us about it when I auditioned, something about being very happy to get to say "Who is Bob Dylan?" because she's a big fan of his. I may have misunderstood, though. I can't find her in the archive, maybe it was in the Art Fleming days?