Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by nightreign »

countyguy wrote:The FJ!s so far have been a bit harder than in the QF's in last year's TT.
I agree, although I thought that one in the semis last year about the Korean diplomat was much harder than any of these. I still don't know the guy's name.

User avatar
sillymonkey
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by sillymonkey »

Congratulations to William. He showed a lot of poise. His interview story sounds absolutely horrifying for someone of any age, and he seemed to have handled that situation with grace. Maybe it was character-building.

User avatar
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler
Posts: 2644
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 12:53 am

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ElendilPickle »

Precalled FJ for once. :) I also thought of Jo March, Laura Ingalls Wilder, and Anne of Green Gables as possibilities.

User avatar
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 845
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:09 pm
Location: Cynthiana, KY

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 out of 60.

July: 4/5 Videogames: 2/5 One: 4/5 Francois: 2/5 Knight: 3/5 Prints: 2/5
2004: 5/5 Hits: 4/5 Jobs: 3/5 Measure: 2/5 Europe: 4/5 "CC": 3/5

Lach trash: "polar bear", "furlongs" (DD- Kerry/Edwards, San Marino)

Didn't come up with FJ- I was thinking of the classics and my precall guess was Jane Eyre, but I didn't recall that Sagittarius was the archer- if I did, I might have got it right.

User avatar
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1793
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:34 am
Location: Miami

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by skullturf »

My precalls for FJ were Alice in Wonderland and Scarlett O'Hara.

It makes sense for the Teen Tournament that they went with someone more recent. I got it, but almost everything I know about those books and movies, I learned from Jeopardy!

doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by doihavetoreally »

In cc category, I.blindly went For Piccolo.
Missed FJ...stuck with classics
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by eboettch »

xxaaaxx wrote: Katniss wasn't getting past me this time.
President Snow posts here???

But I was also helped from the archery FJ! a while back. I can think of a few other female archers in literature (May Welland, Gwendolyn Harleth) - but Jeopardy! hasn't asked about those in such terms. Does female archer count as a Pavlov for Katniss now?

I am impressed with all the gets in the 2004 category. I would not do well answering questions about the year I was in kindergarten.

User avatar
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by nightreign »

eboettch wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote: Katniss wasn't getting past me this time.
President Snow posts here???
If I could like this a thousand times I would.

User avatar
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 951
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:30 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by silverscreentest »

eboettch wrote:Does female archer count as a Pavlov for Katniss now?

Image

No.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by eboettch »

silverscreentest wrote:
eboettch wrote:Does female archer count as a Pavlov for Katniss now?
No.
I stand corrected. What's the second image? I recognize Merida and she's got a few hits in the archive.

EDIT: never mind, Google helped me out - Tauriel from The Hobbit movies. No archive hits for that one but she's only been around a while. Still, Katniss might be the only book heroine/archer they ask about in those terms.
Last edited by eboettch on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 955
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 pm
Location: New Mexico

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by lisa0012 »

eboettch wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote: Katniss wasn't getting past me this time.
President Snow posts here???
Yup, and he left this behind.


Shaymin
Valued Contributor
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:36 pm
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Shaymin »

Full marks to William for a strong performance, regardless of age. I'll confess to having no clue on FJ, though.

Q: Did I hear correctly in the video game category $200 clue, where they said Black Ops was the 3rd Call of Duty game?

User avatar
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 988
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 7:27 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by zakharov »

Oh yeah, I think William might have gotten away with a wrong answer. Sounded like he said Flapped Bird instead of Flappy. Or am I crazy?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

Spokes
Contributor
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Spokes »

Thought of Diana (the goddess) at first for FJ, didn't sound right with the classification clue. Considered "Artemis" for a while until realizing it was probably something more contemporary, and thought about Ygritte before Katniss finally clicked. A stressful get, and I'm not sure I would have had it in time onstage :|

Also, I don't remember the exact wording of the succubus clue but I guffawed at my TV. "Sure, Alex... 'steals their dreams'" or whatever

edit: was also super surprised that "Perri" didn't get BMS'd
Last edited by Spokes on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8380
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The youngest of the bunch seemed to be the sharpest, and deserved the win.

3/5 in Games, not bad by my standards. Flappy Bird was a TV Tropes get.

NHO Gawain, and ended up high and dry on Knights.

Any reason I should know "hiver" = winter? That's not even close to a cognate.

Couldn't think of any sea dwelling reptile, but got Lach Trash on Polar Bear.

Ran "CC" (Lach Trash on "succubus"), but skunked Jobs in Art and Measaure Up.

For some reason I was thinking Christina Perri on Hit & Miss for $1600, but clammed since I didn't know any song titles of hers. Got the first three though.

Precalled Katniss. I know she shoots arrows, so I stuck with it. That's probably the only thing I could tell you about Hunger Games, too. I think that, like Scribbler, I got it from TV Tropes.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler
Posts: 2644
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 12:53 am

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ElendilPickle »

silverscreentest wrote:
eboettch wrote:Does female archer count as a Pavlov for Katniss now?

Image

No.
Of course, neither of these examples are literary heroines.

User avatar
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1793
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:34 am
Location: Miami

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by skullturf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO Gawain, and ended up high and dry on Knights.

Any reason I should know "hiver" = winter? That's not even close to a cognate.
I have heard of Gawain, but I can answer absolutely zero follow-up questions about him, beyond knowing that "Gawain and the Green Knight" was the title of something.

I thought that was a little obscure for the top of the board, and in fact, I came very close to reflexively blurting out "Lancelot", because surely that's gotta be the answer in the top row in a category about knights, right?

"Hiver" is somewhat similar to the word "hibernate", but obviously it helps if you just happen to already know the French word.

I guess "hiver" is also kinda sorta close to the Spanish "invierno", but maybe just different enough that it's not always possible to work it out on the fly if you didn't already know it.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8777
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

nightreign wrote:as a fellow entering sophomore
That reminds me, are these kids being introduced as a member of a grade they already completed - most likely with honours (by air time that is)?

(Side note: As a Canadian, the "junior", "sophomore", etc. for junior high kids (they still call it "junior high" down there, right?) really confuses me, we still call them "grade 7", "grade 8", etc. (And the definition of "junior high" varies from school to school, the one my daughter is in goes from grade 6 (which she just finished) to grade 8, and will start high school at grade 9. Whereas for me, I was in junior high from 7-9, high school was grade 10 - grade 12. This might have to do with the fact that her elementary school only went up to grade 5 and she's going to a completely different (but still walking distance) building for grades 6-8. Whereas I was in the same building that goes from K-9, and my high school started at 10 (I think it starts at 9 now). You only hear "junior", "sophomore", etc. at university, and that's only a faint *maybe*, I still heard "1st year", "2nd year" most often when I was at U. I still have no idea which grade is supposed to be which in that crazy nomenclature you Yanks have.)
silverscreentest wrote:
eboettch wrote:Does female archer count as a Pavlov for Katniss now?

Image

No.
So *that's* why I went "female archer, female archer, female archer. Huh, got nothing but "Brave". Down it goes!" Yes, I'm aware of the Hunger Games and the basic facts about it, but it didn't enter my head at all, and it would have needed a few more hints to do so.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

User avatar
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 955
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 pm
Location: New Mexico

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by lisa0012 »

dhkendall wrote:That reminds me, are these kids being introduced as a member of a grade they already completed - most likely with honours (by air time that is)?

(Side note: As a Canadian, the "junior", "sophomore", etc. for junior high kids (they still call it "junior high" down there, right?) really confuses me, we still call them "grade 7", "grade 8", etc. (And the definition of "junior high" varies from school to school, the one my daughter is in goes from grade 6 (which she just finished) to grade 8, and will start high school at grade 9. Whereas for me, I was in junior high from 7-9, high school was grade 10 - grade 12. This might have to do with the fact that her elementary school only went up to grade 5 and she's going to a completely different (but still walking distance) building for grades 6-8. Whereas I was in the same building that goes from K-9, and my high school started at 10 (I think it starts at 9 now). You only hear "junior", "sophomore", etc. at university, and that's only a faint *maybe*, I still heard "1st year", "2nd year" most often when I was at U. I still have no idea which grade is supposed to be which in that crazy nomenclature you Yanks have.)
As far as I know, no one in the US uses freshman, sophomore, etc for junior high kids. There are still junior highs, which are usually grades 7-8, but more often now you see middle schools, which are grades 6-8. Either way, they are usually referred to by their year, such as 7th grader.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8777
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

lisa0012 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:That reminds me, are these kids being introduced as a member of a grade they already completed - most likely with honours (by air time that is)?

(Side note: As a Canadian, the "junior", "sophomore", etc. for junior high kids (they still call it "junior high" down there, right?) really confuses me, we still call them "grade 7", "grade 8", etc. (And the definition of "junior high" varies from school to school, the one my daughter is in goes from grade 6 (which she just finished) to grade 8, and will start high school at grade 9. Whereas for me, I was in junior high from 7-9, high school was grade 10 - grade 12. This might have to do with the fact that her elementary school only went up to grade 5 and she's going to a completely different (but still walking distance) building for grades 6-8. Whereas I was in the same building that goes from K-9, and my high school started at 10 (I think it starts at 9 now). You only hear "junior", "sophomore", etc. at university, and that's only a faint *maybe*, I still heard "1st year", "2nd year" most often when I was at U. I still have no idea which grade is supposed to be which in that crazy nomenclature you Yanks have.)
As far as I know, no one in the US uses freshman, sophomore, etc for junior high kids. There are still junior highs, which are usually grades 7-8, but more often now you see middle schools, which are grades 6-8. Either way, they are usually referred to by their year, such as 7th grader.
Ah, I was getting the impression these were all junior high kids, but yeah, I guess "teens" are more the high school demographic. (So that makes it more stranger, junior high gets "7th grade", "8th grade", etc. (you guys can't even get *that* right, it's supposed to be "grade 7", "grade 8", but high school you start using those made up words (convince me otherwise!)? Is there a cheat sheet as to what years they are supposed to be?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Post Reply