SHC Round 4 Instant Replay Thread (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: SHC Round 4 Instant Replay Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

alamble wrote:Well, part of the annoyance of the Ham(p)ster Dance was the deliberate misspelling of the word hamster, which I refuse to continue to perpetrate. I have no particular animosity towards hamsters or badgers in general. Heck, one of my favorite children's book characters is a badger!
That's because the hamster that inspired it was named Hampster!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Oh, and it's a good thing TPH hasn't seen this, doesn't he have a thing for badgers? (No, not that kind of "a thing", you sickos!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

Vanya wrote: In any case I suspect DoT will accept either. But will he accept Baden-Baden?
I suffer from a neurological condition where I sometimes repeat repeat words. Surely DoT won't penalize me for that? (Yeah, an illness, that's that's the ticket...)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

For sheer annoyance value, both Internet memes pale in comparison to the Viking Kittens IMO.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

--Pete wrote: It's not that you have a shortage of food, it's that you have a surplus of population.

Kidding aside, it makes little difference how you choose, you end up with 900,000 dead. In a situation like that, is there any non dismal way to select the survivors?

I also don't think that wealth will matter as much in that situation. I suspect that determination, anger, and armament will be more important.

--Pete
We have a mine shaft gap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iesXUFOlWC0
Woof

Post by Woof »

bengland wrote:
Vanya wrote: In any case I suspect DoT will accept either. But will he accept Baden-Baden?
I suffer from a neurological condition where I sometimes repeat repeat words. Surely DoT won't penalize me for that? (Yeah, an illness, that's that's the ticket...)
No, Bruce, that's the tic. :D
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

Woof wrote:For sheer annoyance value, both Internet memes pale in comparison to the Viking Kittens IMO.
Is that the one done to "The Immigrant Song"? I love it! :lol:
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Volante wrote:Also: Rex, go check out our W4D6 responses. Best part, look at the times :lol:
I can't believe it was just us! Obviously our tastes are rarefied.

To elevate the rest of the Board:

Wisconsinish: http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

Hufflepuffish: http://thefifthdistrict.com/potter/

Rex
I LOVE that you posted those. I haven't seen them in years, and somehow that's exactly what I thought when typing in my answer (well, I guess there aren't many other things to associate with badgers...). :)
Andromus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Andromus »

barandall800 wrote: I LOVE that you posted those. I haven't seen them in years, and somehow that's exactly what I thought when typing in my answer (well, I guess there aren't many other things to associate with badgers...). :)

Just one more, I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx6TBrfCW54
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Post by tagNV »

Fearless Leader wrote:ECONOMIC”S”

Each correct response will begin with "S"

3: Shares of this form of corporate equity ownership can be “common” or “preferred.”

SHOCK
:shock:

Sorry, couldn't resist....I mean, I think I've heard of economic shock, but I didn't realize it came in common and preferred varieties. :P

P.S.: Thanks mucho for the perfecto! :shock:
Uncle Jeff
Resident phpBB Programmer

Re: Shortage

Post by Uncle Jeff »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Uncle Jeff wrote:You'd be hard pressed to find an historical famine in a place where prices were unrestricted, property rights protected, and goods/information flowing freely.
What about the Great Famine of 1315-1317?
Pre-renaissance? I'm not very familiar with that episode, but I suspect that medieval Europe restricted the movements of peasants, merchants and information. What would have happened to me if I, as a peasant, had tried to borrow money, buy land of my own, and farm a new food-crop better suited to the changing weather patterns? I suspect that my current master would beat me and send me back out to my field of rotting barley.
In a free society, the most local level of government is the individual citizen
Uncle Jeff
Resident phpBB Programmer

Post by Uncle Jeff »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Uncle Jeff wrote:First, rising price convinces even the wealthy to eat that minimum you mentioned, otherwise the bad harvest would feed even fewer than the potential 100,000 survivors.
Ho ho, this makes me laugh. Do you know any wealthy people?
Not many, but I can make the same point by saying that rising price will convince somebody to consume/hoard less than they would at a lower price.
my point is that the wealthy have no more special grace than ordinary folks
Granted, but your moral judgement, no matter how righteous, does not offer a way to create any more food, nor does it save any more people with what food exists.
When ordinary folks see that something they consider important is scarce -- as evidenced by rising prices -- they often buy more of it, not less, to make sure they don't run out themselves -- at least they buy more until they don't have the money for it.
Hoarding is thus limited. In addition, rising price causes more resources to move into the hands of those creating and distributing the scarce commodity. That gives producers both the incentive and the means to overcome more obstacles to create and/or move more of that commodity.

On the other hand, if prices are held down by some moralistic do-gooder (or even an unimaginative static thinker) then the extraordinary motive and means are absent. People perceiving the crisis will hoard what supply they can find, and supply is rapidly exhausted (that's the shortage).

In either case, tragedy may be unavoidable. However, messing with the natural price equilibrium magnifies rather than ameliorating it. It's a bad policy born of the static thinking that doesn't anticipate store shelves going empty. At that point, the system has "hit bottom". The policy can't help anyone buy a loaf of bread that isn't there.
I don't believe that, on the whole, "the wealthy" would end up eating that minimum amount.
No, but the wealthy might look at the emergency and decide to vacate the ravaged area entirely, thus eating none of the food there. There's no altruism needed, just pressure to steer clear of the scarcity. Holding prices down would remove that pressure, and that's when you get a shortage.
In a free society, the most local level of government is the individual citizen
Woof

Post by Woof »

Peggles wrote:
Woof wrote:For sheer annoyance value, both Internet memes pale in comparison to the Viking Kittens IMO.
Is that the one done to "The Immigrant Song"? I love it! :lol:
De gustibus, Peg. :D
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Uncle Jeff wrote:If there was a problem with the question, it was the claim that high demand can cause a shortage. High demand can cause a prohibitively high price. A shortage results from someone (usually a government) using force to prevent price from rising to an equilibrium level.
Just so I'm clear on this: So if there's a bad harvest and a million people want to eat but only enough food to satisfy the minimum requirements of 100,000, it's not a shortage so long as the people who own the food are free to charge such a high price that only the wealthy survive? That is dismal.

Rex
Economically, it is not a shortage. Would you say there is a shortage of medical services in the US? Yet some people can't get them. Not very different from your food example.

(P.S. I see that OSC brought up a similar health care example.)
Last edited by gnash on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Uncle Jeff wrote:Where you see starvation (e.g. Ireland in the 1800s, Ukraine under Stalin, or the US under FDR), a gov't is interfering with free trade (setting prices, blocking imports / exports, plowing produce into the ground etc). You'd be hard pressed to find an historical famine in a place where prices were unrestricted, property rights protected, and goods/information flowing freely.
Up to here, everything you said was correct, but this is just stupid.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

BoK wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:So, what is the intended answer for the 4.6 15-pointer -- Baden or Baden-Württemberg?
I think it's Baden. Baden-Württemberg is the modern-day state, while Baden is the region that was a grand duchy in the 19th Century. That being said it wouldn't surprise me greatly if DoT accepted both answers.

ETA: Apparently, Vanya types faster than I do. With regards to Baden-Baden, I don't think it should be accepted since that's a town, not a region or a state. That would be like asking for the state which Tulsa is in and accepting the answer Oklahoma City. That being said, I have been on the receiving end of DoT's largesse a time or two so I won't complain either way.
It seems clear that the expected answer was Baden, but I plead for Baden-Wuerttemberg to be accepted based on it being the current German state in which the said towns are located. The part that doesn't fit is that Baden was a grand duchy and Wuerttemberg was a separate duchy. On the show, it would be possible to say "Baden" and wait for "tell me more" from Alex; here, one must guess whether to give the short or the long answer.

I agree with BoK that Baden-Baden cannot be acceptable, as it doesn't fit any part of the clue.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Uncle Jeff wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
Uncle Jeff wrote:You'd be hard pressed to find an historical famine in a place where prices were unrestricted, property rights protected, and goods/information flowing freely.
What about the Great Famine of 1315-1317?
Pre-renaissance? I'm not very familiar with that episode, but I suspect that medieval Europe restricted the movements of peasants, merchants and information. What would have happened to me if I, as a peasant, had tried to borrow money, buy land of my own, and farm a new food-crop better suited to the changing weather patterns? I suspect that my current master would beat me and send me back out to my field of rotting barley.
You should back down, as you have left reality.

What does it even mean to ask for a society that doesn't restrict the movement of people? The last such societies were the hunter-gatherer societies. Plus you went from "goods/information" to "peasants, merchants and information". And even the free flow of goods/information was unrelated to the previous arguments about shortage. It's just completely awful derailment of argument that undermines the credibility of what you had written up to that point, which is a pity because that was all good.

Just turn on your brain and think for a second whether the free market would help avoid a famine in case of a plant virus run amok or a small asteroid hitting the Earth.
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

Anyone else remember what this thread was about before everyone started fighting about economics?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ahem. Since I have now received several complaints, I am requesting that the tone be kept to a civilized level by all involved. I'm pretty intent on taking a laissez faire (pun intended) policy to posts on the board to the extent possible, but let's not let it get out of hand, shall we? If there is further discussion of this topic required, please do so in Reretaken Down. I reserve the right to take stronger measures if that is required, which I hope will not be. We're all friends here.

Signed,
The Management
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

NJCondon wrote:Anyone else remember what this thread was about before everyone started fighting about economics?
Grammar. (The debate of which was as civil. :lol: )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)