J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: J! in the Media

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:53 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:29 pm
alietr wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:17 pm Alex, Ken, Brad, and the Other Guy will be on Good Morning America tomorrow.
why did you refer to holzhauer as the other guy?
Because he was counting on your ability to use the process of elimination. Congrats! You did it!
i am guessing that wasn't the manifest purpose
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Here's today's Good Morning America piece on the GOAT tourney.

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/cult ... wdOuQ6uKw8
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MtlMike
Valued Contributor

Post by MtlMike »

For my fellow Canadians, CTV is airing an hour-long program tonight (Wed. Dec. 18) at 10 PM Eastern. It is called "CTV News Special: A Conversation With Alex Trebek", and here is the description:

CTV Chief News Anchor Lisa LaFlamme sits down with longtime Jeopardy host Alex Trebek to talk about his career, his family, and his battle with cancer.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MtlMike wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:56 pm For my fellow Canadians, CTV is airing an hour-long program tonight (Wed. Dec. 18) at 10 PM Eastern. It is called "CTV News Special: A Conversation With Alex Trebek", and here is the description:

CTV Chief News Anchor Lisa LaFlamme sits down with longtime Jeopardy host Alex Trebek to talk about his career, his family, and his battle with cancer.
Is this a new program or a rerun from earlier this fall?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Forwarding my DVR guide to January 2nd at 8pm on ABC, shows: What is Jeopardy!? Alex Trebek and America's Most Popular Quiz Show

A behind-the-scenes look at the taping of quiz show "Jeopardy!", an exclusive interview at home with Alex Trebek and his wife Jean; a look at the show's most memorable moments and contestants; hosted by Michael Strahan.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:07 pm Forwarding my DVR guide to January 2nd at 8pm on ABC, shows: What is Jeopardy!? Alex Trebek and America's Most Popular Quiz Show

A behind-the-scenes look at the taping of quiz show "Jeopardy!", an exclusive interview at home with Alex Trebek and his wife Jean; a look at the show's most memorable moments and contestants; hosted by Michael Strahan.
Excited about that documentary.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

The January 2020 issue of Science of Mind: Guide for Spiritual Living magazine has a 6-page feature on Jean Trebek and how she's been dealing with Alex's illness, from a spiritual perspective. There's stuff about Alex too, of course, including pictures from their 1990 wedding.

I picked up a copy at Barnes & Noble. It doesn't look like the Centers for Spiritual Living put the articles up on their website.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alex was spotted courtside at the Lakers game on Christmas. Looked pretty good.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

From Dave Barry's review of 2019:

In entertainment news, James Holzhauer’s record-breaking victory streak on “Jeopardy!” finally comes to an end when, in the Final Jeopardy round, he is flagged for a face mask violation by an NFL officiating crew.

(He makes fun of NFL refs throughout the column.)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

A little before midnight, Alex Trebek offered his wishes to everyone watching Dick Clark's Rockin' New Years Eve on the network that will be airing the GOAT tournament.
2019-12-31AlexNewYearWish.jpg
2019-12-31AlexNewYearWish.jpg (468.29 KiB) Viewed 5302 times
"Hi everyone, I'm Alex Trebek, and from all of us here at Jeopardy!, here's wishing you a New Year filled with love, happiness, and hopefully a little knowledge. Happy New Year, America."
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:07 pm Forwarding my DVR guide to January 2nd at 8pm on ABC, shows: What is Jeopardy!? Alex Trebek and America's Most Popular Quiz Show

Looks like some boardies are featured! Nice going!
brick

Post by brick »

The documentary is good. Not a lot of new information, but Alex, his wife, and the show crew all come off very well.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Article on the upcoming special: https://nypost.com/2020/01/02/jeopardy- ... -the-best/

Jennings says he was playing during the first Bush presidency. Huh?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Woppy T wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:44 pm Article on the upcoming special: https://nypost.com/2020/01/02/jeopardy- ... -the-best/

He probably meant W's first term.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:27 pm
Woppy T wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:44 pm Article on the upcoming special: https://nypost.com/2020/01/02/jeopardy- ... -the-best/

He probably meant W's first term.
I can accept that the reporter might have bungled some quotes. For instance, as much as I like Jan Brady
[Alex] still does a very difficult job with amazing plumb...
Ken must have said "aplomb".
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

brick wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:51 pm The documentary is good. Not a lot of new information, but Alex, his wife, and the show crew all come off very well.
TIL that the Weird Al song "I Lost On Jeopardy" preceded the show's Trebek run.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

brick wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:51 pm The documentary is good. Not a lot of new information, but Alex, his wife, and the show crew all come off very well.
The surprise of it all for me was the inclusion of Greg Hopkins, the champ from the first episode. He talked about how the $8,400 he won made a difference in his life (with no mention of throwing away $9,000 in the following episode).

Also briefly depicted was Michael Pascuzzi's marriage proposal in 2018 (with no love for our humble administrator's own in 2006.)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:08 am
Funny you mention that song, I just heard it for the first time in years about two weeks ago. It was the first time that it really hit me that he was playing against a plumber who has a PhD.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:21 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:08 am
Funny you mention that song, I just heard it for the first time in years about two weeks ago. It was the first time that it really hit me that he was playing against a plumber who has a PhD.
A plumber goes over to a lawyer's house to fix a leak. Upon finishing the task, he presents him with the bill. The lawyer looks at it, and indignantly says, "I'm a lawyer and I don't charge that much!" The plumber calmly responded, "Neither did I when I was a lawyer."
davey

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:25 am
The surprise of it all for me was the inclusion of Greg Hopkins, the champ from the first episode. He talked about how the $8,400 he won made a difference in his life (with no mention of throwing away $9,000 in the following episode).
My favorite thing in the whole special was Alex's reaction after Greg's "demonstration": "Greg, try and relax."