J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: J! in the Media

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

davey wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:47 pm Laurie Metcalf is a great American actress, but the J!-Aaron Rodgers appearance on The Conners tonight was dismal... :evil:
I was curious, but the promo for this week's ep was so cringey I didn't bother setting the DVR.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:29 pm
davey wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:47 pm Laurie Metcalf is a great American actress, but the J!-Aaron Rodgers appearance on The Conners tonight was dismal... :evil:
I was curious, but the promo for this week's ep was so cringey I didn't bother setting the DVR.
Oh no!

ETA: She was really great in “A Dollhouse - Part 2” on Broadway
Last edited by morbeedo on Thu May 13, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

morbeedo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:46 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:29 pm
Oh no!
Most of the J! stuff is here:

It was pretty bad.
davey

Post by davey »

Rodgers doesn't disgrace himself, and I kind of like the Jon Hamm line, but is the character of Jackie always so hateful and icky? I don't remember her that way on the old Roseanne show...
Don't Think Twice
Contributor

Post by Don't Think Twice »

"I’ll Take ‘White Supremacist Hand Gestures’ for $1,000
How hundreds of “Jeopardy!” contestants talked themselves into a baseless conspiracy theory — and won’t be talked out of it."https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/16/busi ... Position=3

My favorite line: "The letter’s main co-authors asked not to be named because they feared harassment on social media." How courageous of them after smearing a fellow contestant! I got a good look at the list of all the signers before they cowardly deleted it. I'm sorry I didn't save it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Don't Think Twice wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:56 pm My favorite line: "The letter’s main co-authors asked not to be named because they feared harassment on social media." How courageous of them after smearing a fellow contestant! I got a good look at the list of all the signers before they cowardly deleted it. I'm sorry I didn't save it.
They didn't smear him; they said what he did and criticized the show for letting it through to air.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Don't Think Twice wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:56 pm "I’ll Take ‘White Supremacist Hand Gestures’ for $1,000
How hundreds of “Jeopardy!” contestants talked themselves into a baseless conspiracy theory — and won’t be talked out of it."https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/16/busi ... Position=3

My favorite line: "The letter’s main co-authors asked not to be named because they feared harassment on social media." How courageous of them after smearing a fellow contestant! I got a good look at the list of all the signers before they cowardly deleted it. I'm sorry I didn't save it.
I'm of two minds regarding this piece. On one hand, I agree there was a rush to judgment and I apologize for bringing that rushed judgment to JBoard. On the other hand I find it interesting Ben Smith chose to say this: "The contestants’ investigations of Mr. Donohue had all the signal traits of a normal social media hunt gone awry — largely, that you assume your conclusion and go looking for evidence." It's pretty clear Mr. Smith had his own conclusion in mind before writing the piece and used only evidence that supported that conclusion. Maybe "it takes one to know one" or something like that...
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Mon May 17, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

The writer of the NYT article seems to think they smeared him. And yes, they’re a bunch of hypocrites for demanding anonymity. Kelly should’ve been proud of his 3 day run; instead it devolved into a smear campaign.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:02 pm
Don't Think Twice wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:56 pm "I’ll Take ‘White Supremacist Hand Gestures’ for $1,000

I'm of two minds regarding this piece. On one hand, I agree there was a rush to judgment and I apologize for bringing that rushed judgment to JBoard. On the other hand I find it interesting Ben Smith chose to say this: "The contestants’ investigations of Mr. Donohue had all the signal traits of a normal social media hunt gone awry — largely, that you assume your conclusion and go looking for evidence." It's pretty clear Mr. Smith had his own conclusion in mind before writing the piece and used only evidence that supported that conclusion. Maybe "it takes one to know one" or something like that...
What evidence did he leave out?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:24 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:02 pm

What evidence did he leave out?
I'd prefer not to get into it at this point.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I was so annoyed to see this article in The New York Times after we thought we’d moved on to other scandals. Le sigh

Also is it too much to wish that journalists would retire that tired line, “I’ll take (hot topic) for $1,000”?
GaryG
Contributor

Post by GaryG »

morbeedo wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:05 pm
Also is it too much to wish that journalists would retire that tired line, “I’ll take (hot topic) for $1,000”?
I feel like $1000 is OK, but far to many people still use $500 when it's not even a valid clue dollar amount anymore.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

GaryG wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:44 pm
I feel like $1000 is OK, but far to many people still use $500 when it's not even a valid clue dollar amount anymore.
Do you know that the picture in your avatar bears a striking resemblance to the white power gesture that started this whole conversation?
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

There's an important lesson to be learned here: don't assume the worst from a member of your Jeopardy community. It's harder to walk back a potentially libelous claim than it is to simply address it with Jeopardy privately.
There's a thick line between signing a petition and actively cyberbullying a fellow contestant. Most of the petitioners aren't cyberbullies, but some of them are. Not surprisingly, many of that latter group still believe James created a website to belittle his "humbled" competitors, two years after his involvement in it was debunked.
If Snopes and the ADL say these claims of a dog whistle are garbage, then maybe they really are garbage.
Hoping for a third lap
GaryG
Contributor

Post by GaryG »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:01 pm
Do you know that the picture in your avatar bears a striking resemblance to the white power gesture that started this whole conversation?
Yes. Am I cancelled now?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

GaryG wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:29 pm
Yes. Am I cancelled now?
What do you hope to accomplish with this?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

sarisson wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:11 pm If Snopes...
The initial version of the Snopes article was based entirely on a tweet from a respected community member giving the contestant the benefit of the doubt in the preliminary analysis. The tweet was recalled when further analysis showed the initial assessment to be likely incorrect, but rather than revising its conclusion, Snopes just edited its article to delete mention of the tweet.

Like Kirk, I feel there is no sense in relitigating this case, particularly in the atmosphere of threats to the safety of the letter signers.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:34 pm
Yes. Am I cancelled now?
I'm guessing it's to make the cancel Mr. Donohoe brigade and those who abetted them look like fools. :P :twisted:
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

DBear wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:35 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:34 pm

Yes. Am I cancelled now?
I'm guessing it's to make the cancel Mr. Donohoe brigade and those who abetted them look like fools. :P :twisted:
Yes, mocking those who show concern that someone may be flashing white supremacist signals to show off their gross beliefs by...flashing white supremacist signals to also show off one's gross beliefs. Wow, you've truly pwned them all.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Yahoo Entertainment: Jeopardy! TOC Player Apologizes for 'Loud,' 'Gonna Go for the Kill' Behavior.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jeo ... 16165.html