J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Woppy T »

davey wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:53 pm
Woppy T wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:46 pm
squarekara wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:45 am This article contains some commentary by the current champ regarding his patented response style:
Newsweek: 'Jeopardy!' Clarifies Rules After Contestant's Answering Style Irks Viewers.
https://www.newsweek.com/jeopardy-clari ... io-1615526
Nothing surprising in this article, but this irked me: "Jeopardy! doesn't require that the response is grammatically correct . . . the three-letter name of a British Invasion rock band can be a correct response all by itself ('The Who?')...." I don't see how this response would be in the form of a question. At the very least it is against the spirit of the rules.
An official Jeopardy! account is telling us that it is in the spirit of the rules. Should we argue with that?
Why not? I disagree with the powers that be at J! on this. That's all I'm saying. And I know 99% of the people on this board disagree with me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I am in the 1% with you, Woppy. The Who is the name of the band. A player should say “Who (or what’s) The Who?” to get credit. Same for Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? or Who’s on First?.
davey

Post by davey »

These are fine opinions. But when people talk about "the spirit of the rules," they're usually broadening what's acceptable, not narrowing it.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:18 pm I am in the 1% with you, Woppy. The Who is the name of the band. A player should say “Who (or what’s) The Who?” to get credit. Same for Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? or Who’s on First?.
I don't like the rule either. It negates the difference between, say, That Girl featuring Marlo Thomas and "Who's That Girl?" featuring Madonna. Nevertheless, I do commend Matt for not wasting any unnecessary smidgen of brain power in giving an acceptable response.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Here's https://www.courant.com/ctnow/arts-thea ... story.html an article about Matt from the Hartford Courant (claiming him for Connecticut since he goes to Yale). It includes a possible spoiler as to the length of his run:
Spoiler
The "Jeopardy!" experience only took Amodio away from his Yale studies for a few days earlier this year, he says, since the shows tapes multiple episodes at a time.
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

davey wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:35 pm These are fine opinions. But when people talk about "the spirit of the rules," they're usually broadening what's acceptable, not narrowing it.
This begs the question: is it within the spirit of the rules - as TPTB have deemed them - to be ruled correct so long as one responds in an inquisitive manner, even if doing so while omitting "who/what is…"? Say that a correct response is "What is the Beatles?" Would it be permissible to just say "The Beatles?" so long as it's in a clearly questioning tone?
davey

Post by davey »

brucejoel199 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:40 pm
davey wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:35 pm These are fine opinions. But when people talk about "the spirit of the rules," they're usually broadening what's acceptable, not narrowing it.
This begs the question: is it within the spirit of the rules - as TPTB have deemed them - to be ruled correct so long as one responds in an inquisitive manner, even if doing so while omitting "who/what is…"? Say that a correct response is "What is the Beatles?" Would it be permissible to just say "The Beatles?" so long as it's in a clearly questioning tone?
Whether it "begs the question" when it elicits the question is...another question... :geek:, but
I say no. The statement acknowledges that the form of responses on the show is a conceit, but it's a verbal conceit, not one of tone. There are 6 classic questions, as we were recently reminded. Using those words doesn't create questions, but creates "the form of a question" which as far as I know, is the "letter" of the rule.
It's not like it comes up that much. If someone uses it in an apt situation, they're playing with the rule, not taking advantage.
Last edited by davey on Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

brucejoel199 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:40 pm
Once in the J! round (as long as it's not the DD). :D
Last edited by Volante on Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Interesting point!

In this case, I think "What's..." used for every response is within the letter of the rules and not within their spirit.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:03 pm
Interesting point!

In this case, I think "What's..." used for every response is within the letter of the rules and not within their spirit.
The way I think about it is there is being a great player and there is being a great game show contestant. Ken Jennings was terrific with both aspects while, without naming names, others only shine a little more in one area while lacking sometimes in the other.
davey

Post by davey »

I'm not sure I would have noticed it if attention hadn't been called to it. I don't really understand it. To me it's more difficult to give one response than to naturally respond to the "this" in the clue. I suppose Matt has trained himself to do it his way.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Newsweek: 'Jeopardy!' Champ Matt Amodio Admits Controversial Answering Style Is a 'Strategy'.
https://www.newsweek.com/jeopardy-champ ... gy-1618239
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From the 8/16-29 issue of TV Guide: (spoiler for size of image and content of Burton week)
Spoiler
:roll:
Golf

Post by Golf »

That’s just incredibly ignorant and unacceptable.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Golf wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:09 pm That’s just incredibly ignorant and unacceptable.
Well, there's yer Sony focus group for the host search. If only anything else could've stolen the spotlight that week!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:09 pm That’s just incredibly ignorant and unacceptable.
Agreed. Did that player walk in and see Burton and decide to tank just to screw up his appearance? Did Matt decide to question in an unusual matter to upset the host?

I could see them jeering for only giving him one week during the Olympics, but this is just idiotic.
Last edited by Bamaman on Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This is of the same school of thought that teaches that hitting home runs in baseball is "disrespectful toward the game" if one already has an insurmountable lead.