J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: J! in the Media

Post by This Is Kirk! »

squarekara wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:07 am Not sure whether anyone already put this up on the episode thread, but here it is . . .

Fox News: 'Jeopardy!' apologizes for using 'outdated and inaccurate' term in clue about POTS medical condition.
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/j ... _newsstand
Seems like they've either made some really dumb lapses in judgment lately or else they are intentionally trying to insert some controversy. I guess I hope it's the former, but neither choice is great.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm not convinced by the argument proffered by some that the clue constitutes "sexism", but it was certainly a sloppy clue; frankly, a sloppy category overall. The term appears to have been used in one medical paper and not widely caught on. There was no real reason to include it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:31 am I'm not convinced by the argument proffered by some that the clue constitutes "sexism", but it was certainly a sloppy clue; frankly, a sloppy category overall. The term appears to have been used in one medical paper and not widely caught on. There was no real reason to include it.
I agree it was a bad idea to mention the Grinch and I understand why people got upset. (Although my wife calls me the Grinch in December and I have a Grinch shirt I wear). But I don’t see how it is sexist. The clue made no reference to gender other than the Grinch being male.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:23 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:31 am I'm not convinced by the argument proffered by some that the clue constitutes "sexism", but it was certainly a sloppy clue; frankly, a sloppy category overall. The term appears to have been used in one medical paper and not widely caught on. There was no real reason to include it.
I agree it was a bad idea to mention the Grinch and I understand why people got upset. (Although my wife calls me the Grinch in December and I have a Grinch shirt I wear). But I don’t see how it is sexist. The clue made no reference to gender other than the Grinch being male.
POTS is much more prevalent in women. Hence the association with having a sexist connotation.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I like to remember that The Grinch's heart "grew three sizes" on Christmas Day and he was cured of his malady. The bright side, folks!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:03 pm
POTS is much more prevalent in women. Hence the association with having a sexist connotation.
I didn’t know that but I doubt they called it Grinch Syndrome due to being anti-women.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

davey wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:10 pm I like to remember that The Grinch's heart "grew three sizes" on Christmas Day and he was cured of his malady. The bright side, folks!
But then that eyebrow thing flared up:

Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

What an interview!
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:00 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:03 pm
I didn’t know that but I doubt they called it Grinch Syndrome due to being anti-women.
Sorry, we live in an age where correlation is, indeed, causation. Logic is the cudgel of the oppressor.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is an Ed Bradley piece on J! that aired on 60 Minutes in 2003: https://archive.org/details/60-minutes-2003
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Ken Jennings and John Roderick discuss J-Archive, the J! fan community, and some guy named Robert K S beginning at about the 9:30 mark of the most recent episode of the "Omnibus" podcast:

Mulberry Mania (Entry 815.2S0523)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Show really jumped the shark, huh?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

trainman wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:04 pm Ken Jennings and John Roderick discuss J-Archive, the J! fan community, and some guy named Robert K S beginning at about the 9:30 mark of the most recent episode of the "Omnibus" podcast:

That's what I don't get about podcasts. How do people sit there and listen to something like that for over 90 minutes? (and kudos to Robert)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:22 pm
trainman wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:04 pm Ken Jennings and John Roderick discuss J-Archive, the J! fan community, and some guy named Robert K S beginning at about the 9:30 mark of the most recent episode of the "Omnibus" podcast:

That's what I don't get about podcasts. How do people sit there and listen to something like that for over 90 minutes? (and kudos to Robert)
Most people listen at 1.5x or 2x speed.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I just listened to it while playing Animal Crossing. Those fish aren't going to reel themselves in.

Great stuff, Robert. As a family of opportunistic foragers, we plot our dog-walks according to which alley mulberries in our neighborhood are in season.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:26 pm

Most people listen at 1.5x or 2x speed.
True, yet I still have 2,125 podcast episodes unlistened to.
davey

Post by davey »

I lasted until they started in - in the same rambling fashion - on the undergarments they wear, In an effort to get us to buy them, of course.
Not all podcasts are like this.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

This isn't quite true to the spirit of this thread, but here goes anyway. There's a new movie coming out this week that's a sequel to the 2019 horror movie Escape Room. It's called Escape Room: Tournament of Champions.

It has nothing to do with Jeopardy!, as far as I know. But the title by itself has me wondering if they took the name from Jeopardy! or somewhere else. I also stumbled across a reality cooking competition show called simply Tournament of Champions a few months ago. Are these other people copying Jeopardy! without giving credit and without realizing it? What's the deal here?
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

tddeveryday wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:01 pm This isn't quite true to the spirit of this thread, but here goes anyway. There's a new movie coming out this week that's a sequel to the 2019 horror movie Escape Room. It's called Escape Room: Tournament of Champions.

It has nothing to do with Jeopardy!, as far as I know. But the title by itself has me wondering if they took the name from Jeopardy! or somewhere else. I also stumbled across a reality cooking competition show called simply Tournament of Champions a few months ago. Are these other people copying Jeopardy! without giving credit and without realizing it? What's the deal here?
PBA would have a claim before Fleming J!