J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: J! in the Media

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:41 pm Jeopardy! has been nominated for Emmys for Outstanding Game Show, Outstanding Game Show Host (Alex Trebek), and Outstanding Daytime Special Event (GOAT tournament). That last one seems a little generous in terms of eligibility since it was distinctly produced and aired as a primetime program, but maybe it sneaks in via the reruns.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/daytime-em ... 234763704/
From what I have read, shows in syndication can pick either Daytime or Primetime to compete in, but not both.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Part of the eligibility rules for the 2020 primetime Emmys said: "Programs first broadcast during primetime hours, which are an extension or a special of a daytime series, are eligible in the Daytime Emmy competition, but no longer eligible in Primetime." Therefore, the GOAT tournament was only eligible to be entered into the Daytime Emmys.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Thanks, trainman!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:30 am Thanks, trainman!
I don't know, man. Facts instead of wild speculation? Sets a pretty high bar for future posting, don't you think?
gameshowfandanny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by gameshowfandanny »

All of the Jeopardy! Netflix episodes that debuted today are regular-play games from Season 32. They are:
- Matt Jackson's run
- December 4-10, 2015
- Andrew Pau's wins (his last game isn't on Netflix, likely because it was already in the Buzzy Cohen collection, although the Season 30 premiere was on both the Season Premiere collection and the Celebrating Alex! collection, that was likely just for that episode).
- Hunter Appler's run
- June 17-23, 2016
- Pranjal Vachaspati's run
- July 28, 2016 (penultimate episode of Season 32)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Went to the movies today for the first time in a while. Forgot that you get 25 minutes of trailers and commercials before the movie starts. Anyway- one of the trailers featured Alex Trebek in a Jeopardy! cameo. Forgot which movie- maybe the Ryan Reynolds movie, Free Guy? It felt strange and awkward and sad and unexpected. Sigh.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

morbeedo wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:09 pm Went to the movies today for the first time in a while. Forgot that you get 25 minutes of trailers and commercials before the movie starts. Anyway- one of the trailers featured Alex Trebek in a Jeopardy! cameo. Forgot which movie- maybe the Ryan Reynolds movie, Free Guy? It felt strange and awkward and sad and unexpected. Sigh.
You have it right: viewtopic.php?p=340077#p340077
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:36 pm
morbeedo wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:09 pm Went to the movies today for the first time in a while. Forgot that you get 25 minutes of trailers and commercials before the movie starts. Anyway- one of the trailers featured Alex Trebek in a Jeopardy! cameo. Forgot which movie- maybe the Ryan Reynolds movie, Free Guy? It felt strange and awkward and sad and unexpected. Sigh.
You have it right: viewtopic.php?p=340077#p340077
Ahh. I see, thanks.

Even a cameo by Alex won’t get me to see that movie ;)
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Even if the movies were free and people received a complementary bucket of popcorn, I wouldn't go. Haven't been to a theater in 30 years. I'd be the guy who got shot 50 times for telling the wrong person to shut up and put away his damned phone.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Anachronism wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:18 am Even if the movies were free and people received a complementary bucket of popcorn, I wouldn't go. Haven't been to a theater in 30 years. I'd be the guy who got shot 50 times for telling the wrong person to shut up and put away his damned phone.
I hear you! The crowd in Manhattan was pretty tame yesterday, though I don’t get how people can just leave all their trash behind instead of carrying it 50 ft. to the trash can outside the theater.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

'Jeopardy!' Fans Are Livid and “Sad” After Contestants' “Worst Showing Ever”

I don't know why I should bother to post an article in the deplorable genre of "a few compiled tweets masquerading as journalism", but it ought to be noted that last Tuesday's game was nowhere close to the "worst showing ever", and it wasn't even the worst showing of the season.

The third game of the season had a pre-FJ! combined total of $10,200, whereas Tuesday's game had a pre-FJ! combined total of $20,500. Tuesday's combined Coryat was $25,600, whereas the lowest combined Coryat of Season 37, at $14,600, came in a game from last October. That game had only 38 correct responses, whereas Tuesday's game had 43. That October game had a team batting average of .603, whereas Tuesday's game had a team batting average of .698.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Museum to Create a National Archives of Game Show History

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/09/arts ... -york.html
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:49 am Museum to Create a National Archives of Game Show History

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/09/arts ... -york.html
“If they want a necktie I lost on ‘Jeopardy!’ with,” Mr. Jennings said, “they’re happy to have it.”
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

brick

Post by brick »

nserven, I was just coming to post that. I enjoy the Pyle motif.
radioinsomnia
Contributor

Post by radioinsomnia »

There have been a zillion of these behind-the-scenes features over the years, but I unearthed one from my personal archive that appeared to be missing from YouTube, and uploaded it: a full Nightline feature that aired on the last day of Ken's original run, 11/30/2004. Interviews with Ken, Alex, Merv Griffin, Harry Friedman, Maggie Speak, and lead writer Gary Johnson. (You're on your own for skipping the commercials, all intact from WLS-TV/Chicago.)

Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Thanks for posting that, radioinsomnia. :)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

There's already (at least) one writer for The Athletic who was a J! champion -- only a 3-timer, though.

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Not sure whether anyone already put this up on the episode thread, but here it is . . .

Fox News: 'Jeopardy!' apologizes for using 'outdated and inaccurate' term in clue about POTS medical condition.
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/j ... _newsstand