J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Picked Off »

Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The tl;dr of new information for anyone annoyed by the paywall is that some days Alex feels like dying and would be fine with that: if his current course of treatment stops working, he will discontinue treatment and enter the end of his life. On the other hand, the mere act of performance as host is something of an elixir for him that gives him energy and helps him put aside his symptoms.

As to why he would write his biography now, the publisher offered him a good deal of money (but not "John Bolton money") which he will donate to charity, and he wanted to let his story be told by himself and not just by the assortment of unauthorized biographies that are slated for release.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex will be part of an exclusive interview with GMA on Tuesday morning.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Alex was on Last Week Tonight tonight (not last week - although maybe it's last week if you're just reading this post in a week), in a taped segment from his home. It's all about how you can avoid being hoodwinked by conspiracy theories:

https://thetruetruetruth.com/?page_id=37
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:11 am Alex was on Last Week Tonight tonight (not last week - although maybe it's last week if you're just reading this post in a week), in a taped segment from his home. It's all about how you can avoid being hoodwinked by conspiracy theories:

https://thetruetruetruth.com/?page_id=37
First time I have seen a link to Last Week Tonight that didn’t need a NSFW warning.
Last edited by Bamaman on Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:38 pm Alex will be part of an exclusive interview with GMA on Tuesday morning.
Actually, I think the interview was this morning. I caught the end of it accidentally, as I am not a GMA viewer. Maybe there is a Part 2 tomorrow?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Leander wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:29 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:38 pm Alex will be part of an exclusive interview with GMA on Tuesday morning.
Actually, I think the interview was this morning. I caught the end of it accidentally, as I am not a GMA viewer. Maybe there is a Part 2 tomorrow?
The promo I saw before I posted was during a break on The View. Yes, I could have mistook the book coming out for the interview airing or ABC changed its mind.

The full interview from today is here after one ad: https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/cult ... r-71872701

I'm sure someone has swiped it to YT by now as well for another viewing option.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:49 pm
Leander wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:29 pm
The promo I saw before I posted was during a break on The View. Yes, I could have mistook the book coming out for the interview airing or ABC changed its mind.

The full interview from today is here after one ad: https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/cult ... r-71872701

I'm sure someone has swiped it to YT by now as well for another viewing option.
Jeopardy posted it on their Facebook page.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Alex Trebek Outlines ‘Jeopardy!’ Production Changes for When Taping Resumes:

https://www.thewrap.com/alex-trebek-jeo ... g-resumes/
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Washington Post review of his book:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... n-the-news
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:23 am Alex Trebek Outlines ‘Jeopardy!’ Production Changes for When Taping Resumes:

https://www.thewrap.com/alex-trebek-jeo ... g-resumes/
I don't know how the local stations would feel about it, but J! having a 4-day schedule, with "Classic J!" on Friday (which I would guess is their lowest rated day?), seems like a good plan. It stretches out the episodes until they can get a backlog, and/or allows Alex to have a 2-and-2 schedule if he's having a bad day. It also means 4 fewer contestants to coordinate each week.

I wonder if we'll get a lot of "originally from..." contestants to start season 37. He seemed quite optimistic about resuming season 37, and did strongly imply that he'd be doing it himself. From what he's said, I think having the show to do energizes him, and keeps his mind occupied and gives him purpose, which can be a good thing.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

While the show announced three chasers, I wonder if Jennings will because of Masterminds (and not because of scheduling conflicts).
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

With the last two weeks of S36 being rerun after the celebrity week, MDM, and the college tournament, it could be a good sign they are planning to roll into S37 right after that.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Unfortunately, with "bland" episodes like the last two weeks of regular play, they could quietly bump them for, say, another week or two of "From the Jeopardy! Vault: The Best of the Second Decade". I agree that IF they run the last two weeks, THEN they are strongly anticipating S37 to start after the last episode - it makes for good continuity.

However, a S37 premiere could be in the works. After all, Big Brother is set to start on August 5, allegedly. They've had the houseguests under quarantine for quite awhile already, but I imagine it's still a challenging show to produce, given the (supposed) 24/7 nature of the show. J! is in some ways easier, with only 2 days of production per week, 3 weeks of production per month...but harder because you're (normally) having contestants travel from all over the US and Canada. Not to mention that you have a host (and, I'm sure, many other staff members) with multiple risk factors for COVID complications.

If Alex were a healthy 40 year-old with infinite stamina, I wonder if they could accelerate the taping schedule to 4 days a week. Actually, that gives me an interesting spitballing idea: Monday and Tuesday, have Alex tape two weeks of shows. Thursday and Friday, have, say, Jimmy from the Clue Crew (or anyone else who might be Alex's heir apparent) tape two weeks of shows. Viewers see two weeks of Alex, two weeks of Jimmy - a nice transition for when the inevitable happens. Plus, it allows for episodes to be stockpiled at an accelerated rate, in case the country goes even more backwards.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They normally do ten episodes in a two day period. I wonder if Alex is only up for four games per day, maybe he could do two on the third day in order to keep up the normal schedule.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:44 pmThursday and Friday, have, say, Jimmy from the Clue Crew (or anyone else who might be Alex's heir apparent) tape two weeks of shows.
I'd rather have Alex try to do five shows a day, and for any that he can't do, have on standby a guest host from among a roster of potential replacements, like Johnny Carson's slate of guest hosts. Whoever impresses the most can get the job.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:28 pm
While the show announced three chasers, I wonder if Jennings will because of Masterminds (and not because of scheduling conflicts).
So you think he'd turn down a primetime gig on ABC in order to stay on Masterminds? Which do you think pays better and has more exposure?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:15 am
triviawayne wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:28 pm
So you think he'd turn down a primetime gig on ABC in order to stay on Masterminds? Which do you think pays better and has more exposure?
It’s more about what could possibly be in his contract, or if the producers or some ABC executive thinks his role on both shows is too similar and they don’t want it.

Then there’s the “do we need three white male middle aged chasers” thing, and since he is already on a show doing something similar, it’s an easy decision which one doesn’t come along.

Finally, not everyone makes every life decision based on money or exposure.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:50 am According to someone on Reddit, one of the collections coming on July 28 is a Kids Week. The only other Kids Week that has been on Netflix is the 2012 one from February-June 2019. The Kids Week with the Emancipation Proclamation incident and Skylar Hornback's $66,600 win used to be on Hulu when Jeopardy! was first added to Hulu.
That Reddit user was wrong, there is no Kids Week on Netflix. These are the episodes available on Netflix starting today:
2016 College Championship
Gilbert Collins' entire run (The game after his last game is also in that collection)
Rachel Lindgren's entire run
Ryan Fenster's entire run
Josh Hill's entire run
The week of May 28, 2018