J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: J! in the Media

Post by goongas »

squarekara wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:15 am
Robert K S wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:32 am
goongas wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:24 am the twelve winners face off the next two nights, and the final three will faceoff the last night in a two game total points affair
But how can you go from twelve semifinalists to three finalists in four games?
Swimwear?
I miscounted. Maybe they can have four podiums for the final four.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

goongas wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:16 pm
goongas wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:24 am the twelve winners face off the next two nights, and the final three will faceoff the last night in a two game total points affair
Swimwear?
wow...what a great idea :lol:
Total game show career losings = $171,522
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

MsaterCone, you were great. That game was one of the highlights of the season. Some of my favorite Jeopardy! players are the intense ones, like Alex Jacob or Matt Jackson. I see nothing wrong with intensity.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
goongas

Post by goongas »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:57 pm
Swimwear?
I didn't read the other thread.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

goongas wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:50 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:57 pm

Swimwear?
I didn't read the other thread.
had a feeling, just found it humorous. got confused myself with the two threads going about it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Swimwear?
MarkBarrett reminded me that the "four preliminaries" structure of the Teen Reunion Tournament eliminated a low-scoring winner from being a finalist, so if they go that route, at least there will have been a precedent for it.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I would say a lot of the confusion stems from "people with no knowledge of Jeopardy trying to report on Jeopardy as if it's just another show".

As best as I've been able to tell, it's 18 teams of 2 with 18 colleges represented.

After that? I have no idea.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:45 pm I would say a lot of the confusion stems from "people with no knowledge of Jeopardy trying to report on Jeopardy as if it's just another show".

As best as I've been able to tell, it's 18 teams of 2 with 18 colleges represented.

After that? I have no idea.
One guess with no inside knowledge.

Night 1: Teams A-B-C with one student playing two rounds and the teammate the other. Two game total and roles reversed for second game.

After six nights there are six teams left.

Night 7 - 3 of the winning teams from the prelims
Night 8 - The other 3 winning teams from prelims
Finale - The 2 winners from the semis plus highest scoring non-winning team from Semis.

Whatever it is I'm sure RKS has work ahead of him. From SoTC and other shows I know head to head things are not always the best. It's J! and I hope there are 3 for each game. Super J! should have ended 4 competing at the same time forever.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:29 pm Night 1: Teams A-B-C with one student playing two rounds and the teammate the other. Two game total and roles reversed for second game.
The idea that each teammate plays one game is a lot more palatable to me, both as fan/viewer and format-coder, than having two teammates behind a lectern simultaneously. Simultaneous team play would raise all kinds of issues as to how the buzzers would work, how conferrals could be handled, etc.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Having two behind a podium at once just sounds like a logistical nightmare. Having them swap every round seems like a better solution.

Not a fan of the concept but I’ll reserve final judgment until we see what the actual setup is and how it works. But I didn’t like the All-Star format when it aired.

At least this isn’t replacing regular games.
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Re: Jeopardy! as teams:
My wife and son were part of an on-site test in New York City for a planned Jeopardy! Parent/Child team event.
When they arrived, they were told Jeopardy! had already discarded the idea, as it would be hard to have two people at a podium deciding who to ring in and who would answer. There was some talk about one round for the parent and one for the child and a combined Final Jeopardy!, but they didn't seem too keen on the idea anymore.
Didn't get a call-back.
bob
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:54 pm Having them swap every round seems like a better solution.
Aside from the annoyance factor, I don't see how, with 2-person teams, swapping every round would be different than just having each player play one full game.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:29 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:54 pm Having them swap every round seems like a better solution.
Aside from the annoyance factor, I don't see how, with 2-person teams, swapping every round would be different than just having each player play one full game.
If they are doing two-game total points, that is a much better way to do it.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

The Gamestar Twitter page includes a picture of several logos of their shows, including Jeopardy! The platform promises "interactive" viewing, which sounds fantastic to me.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

tddeveryday wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:43 pm The Gamestar Twitter page includes a picture of several logos of their shows, including Jeopardy! The platform promises "interactive" viewing, which sounds fantastic to me.
This part seems curious to the IP lawyer in me:
By launching an entirely new type of intellectual property right (SGOD), Gamestar was able to secure exclusive multiyear deals with these brands at a fraction of the cost of other media channels. In other words, we found a new, defensible way to monetize these brands.
I'm not really sure what that means, but "defensible" seems like a interesting claim to make, pre-"defense". In the engineering world, we say, "If it hasn't been tested, it doesn't work." In the legal world, that would translate to, "If it hasn't been defended, it's not defensible."

In the WeFunder pitch video, Ken says he's excited that there's finally a company that seems to be doing interactive Jeopardy! right--making the at-home experience just as fun as playing the game for real. No real hints as to exactly how it's going to work, though, or how many playable episodes of Jeopardy! they plan to have on their service, which will charge $4/month for subscription. I'm interested, though. If Ken's behind it, that gives it a lot of credibility, in my mind.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

tddeveryday wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:43 pm The Gamestar Twitter page includes a picture of several logos of their shows, including Jeopardy! The platform promises "interactive" viewing, which sounds fantastic to me.
We've had the capability for years now to take a great idea like this and royally screw it up. I'm glad someone's finally going to do that.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

A note from Jeopardy! EP Michael Davies

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... ael-davies
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

jpr281 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:59 pm A note from Jeopardy! EP Michael Davies

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... ael-davies
A heartwarming missive from the ship's captain. Here's the part that I and some others on reddit found most notable.
We’re all getting more obsessed with stats over at “Jeopardy!”. We’re in the early stages of putting together a team to analyze all of our data (including the buzzer data, which we have been collecting for years) and publish it on Jeopardy.com.