J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: J! in the Media

Post by alietr »

Golf wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:20 pm Feel good video about a former Jeopardy champion.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2022/ ... za-vpx.hln
CNN got the call letters wrong in their attribution at the beginning of the piece. It's KHNL (not KHLN) and KGMB. The stations are a client of mine.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:53 am 48,000 clues and 1985? Wrong and wrong.
In the reframing of the NYPost article for The Hill, now we're up to "nearly 50,000" clues. :roll:
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:09 pm Lots of good news: https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... box-scores
Very nice. Lots to be done with the buzzer data.

I'd love it if they would publish data from past years but doubt they will.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Golf wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:26 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:09 pm Lots of good news: https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... box-scores
Very nice. Lots to be done with the buzzer data.

I'd love it if they would publish data from past years but doubt they will.
Doubt they could even if they wanted to; older buzzers wouldn't have the data collection. But based on the current infographic, we might get data for this season. (They only allude to Amy's run, but I can't imagine they'd change buzzers mid-season...or worst case, that means only the rest of her run in the future)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Oh wow. They actually released attempted buzz stats.

New era.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

One player winning the buzz on 78% of their attempts in DJ and another player 8%. Wow!
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Releasing buzzer stats does indeed seem like a small game-changer. I unequivocally love this decision. Looking at yesterday's box scores, even though Emma successfully buzzed only once in DJ!, she apparently tried to buzz in 12 times. That's really interesting.

Here's a curious thing Michael wrote.
Over the 37 previous seasons of Jeopardy!, the ToC has taken place in six different months and, in eight seasons, not at all! Well, we are delighted to announce that going forward, Jeopardy!, the major league sport that it is, is going to have a structured season and postseason every year: returning to its rightful and traditional place in the calendar in November...
Is he saying there will be a ToC every November? That's what it sounds like to me. A ToC every year sounds great, but I'm not sure if I read that correctly.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:11 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:53 am 48,000 clues and 1985? Wrong and wrong.
In the reframing of the NYPost article for The Hill, now we're up to "nearly 50,000" clues. :roll:
This is getting out of hand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Former champ Tom Nichols in The Atlantic:

It Might Be Time to Retire 'Jeopardy'

I pretty much agree with what he's written.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:07 pm Former champ Tom Nichols in The Atlantic:

I'd prefer that the producers take some key baby steps before making rash changes. For starters, the producers should IMMEDIATELY arrange to have a different member of the floor crew run the buzzer/lock for each of the day's five taped games. That small-but-significant step by itself might dramatically level the playing field.

After that, to widen the contestant pool, have the show start paying ALL of each contestant's travel and lodging expenses. This would open the door to more low-wage workers finding it possible to be on the show.

The next step would be a big challenge for the folks who select contestants. Make a better effort at having J! players mirror the population. For example, about 1 percent of Americans have a nursing degree, and there are about 1/4 as many lawyers in the U.S. as there are nurses. If producers resolved to have just five lawyers on the show in each season, lawyers would still be over-represented, yet this small change alone would free up some room for a broader range of contestant backgrounds. Note, too, that there are about three times as many stay-at-home parents in the U.S. as there are nurses. Let's see a few more on the show. There are obvious natural limits to how far this could be taken -- after all, you're less likely to find highly competent J! players in a group of carwash attendants than in a group of comic-book writers. However, there are so many more carwash attendants than there are comic-book writers that it should be possible to find a few J!-worthy contestants in that larger group.

Do the above for a season or two, and it would then become apparent whether there would still be a need to reestablish the five-game retirement policy.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I think the notion that because people are "prepping and practicing" for the show and that that someone ruins "the spirit" of the show is patently ridiculous.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:07 pm Former champ Tom Nichols in The Atlantic:

Stephen Curry has mastered the 3-pointer and inspired a generation to play the game differently. Interest is at an all-time high. Let us cancel basketball. It's the only way.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Leander

Post by Leander »

Picked Off wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:58 pm

Stephen Curry has mastered the 3-pointer and inspired a generation to play the game differently. Interest is at an all-time high. Let us cancel basketball. It's the only way.
Being a cranky old timer, I’d say just because interest is at an all time high doesn’t mean it’s a better game.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Add some more questions about Matlock. That ought to stop the oldies from grumbling.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

There are some silly things in that article.

A minor one-
you never hear anyone ring in over the host: You can’t.
Since when does anybody hear a "ring in" at any point in the game?

A major one-
Where's the evidence that Amy Schneider's success has come from professionalization? She blithely ignores strategic concerns most of the time (no signs she's been reviewing the presidents in her down time) and keeps going by being fast and smart....and facing inferior opponents.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Maybe I'm taking it out of context, but it is utterly hilarious that his Twitter bio says "defender of experts"... and then he proceeds to crap on experts in a field where he himself is accomplished!! I wish I knew to stop reading when I saw his name at the top, I remember his similar garbage about Holzhauer when he was winning.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:27 pm I think the notion that because people are "prepping and practicing" for the show and that that someone ruins "the spirit" of the show is patently ridiculous.
Exactly. It's like saying Tom Brady and Nick Saban ruin the spirit of football because they/their teams take extra care to prepare extensively. Quite the opposite, I'd argue. Sorry for wanting to make the most of my literal once in a lifetime opportunity on a game I love in case I get the chance!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Box Score trivia...the evolution of the naming strategy!

Code: Select all

https://www.jeopardy.com/sites/default/files/social_meta/Jeopardy!_38_011322_Daily_Box_Score_v1.jpg
https://www.jeopardy.com/sites/default/files/social_meta/Jeopardy!_38_0112_Daily_Box_Score_v9.jpg
They added a year identifier but apparently rolled the software back to the stock version :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Here is Austin Rogers' take on the Nichols article in The Atlantic. SPOILER ALERT: It's hilarious.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:25 am
Robert K S wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:11 pm
This is getting out of hand.
I wonder does the Archive have any plans to incorporate the box score? Either linking to the image or simply adding somewhere on the game page the one statline which is not currently present, buzzer attempts? Would there be any legal concerns as this is proprietary info Jeopardy! is presenting and not determinable just by watching the show? I'm thinking of a time when maybe they stop giving box scores 1, 3, or 6 months from now and also possibly the image links stop working so I wonder also if anyone has considered hosting the images on either jboard or j-archive, in case the links go dead someday? I realize this just started 2 days ago so it's brand new and I imagine you might be considering the same things but thought I'd throw it out there.