J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Re: J! in the Media

Post by hansenkd »

squarekara wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:41 am Yahoo Entertainment: Jeopardy! TOC Player Apologizes for 'Loud,' 'Gonna Go for the Kill' Behavior.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jeo ... 16165.html
He handled it well. The Donohue episode proved that abject abasement avails nothing if the group thinkers have already decided you are guilty and Must Be Shamed. No evidence is required and no defense is accepted when it has been decided that ruining your life is going to be the latest cause celebre. Ryan knew all this, and gave a perfect response with just the right level of sarcasm. He delivered a partial apology, but it was "I'm sorry you feel that way," essentially. In no way did he cower in sackcloth and ashes like Donohue was forced to do. Granted, nobody accused him of being a racist. But even the thing for which he seemed to sincerely apologize, the "go for the kill" comment, is normal enough in competitive environments. Nobody thinks anything of it when a well-timed 3-point shot is called a "dagger" or when a late touchdown "ices" a victory. A long home run is often called a "shot."

Whatever. Some people thought that shaming Mr. Bilger for no reason was an excellent way to spend their evening. Mr. Bilger denied them the satisfaction. Good for him.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Ryan was a bit much in the game but good for him for telling a bunch of internet drudges to pound sand. And yes, after what those asses did to Kelly Donahue, you’d think they’d have learned a lesson.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The overlap in the Venn diagram of "people disappointed that a hand gesture now associated with bigotry was permitted to make it to air" and "people upset that a competitor in a high-stakes tournament used mildly hyperbolic metaphorical language in the context of gameplay" is a thin sliver.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

Robert K S wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:57 am The overlap in the Venn diagram of "people disappointed that a hand gesture now associated with bigotry was permitted to make it to air" and "people upset that a competitor in a high-stakes tournament used mildly hyperbolic metaphorical language in the context of gameplay" is a thin sliver.
Maybe so, but the bar for ruining lives is frighteningly low.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

hansenkd wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:44 am
Robert K S wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:57 am The overlap in the Venn diagram of "people disappointed that a hand gesture now associated with bigotry was permitted to make it to air" and "people upset that a competitor in a high-stakes tournament used mildly hyperbolic metaphorical language in the context of gameplay" is a thin sliver.
The bar for accepting deplorable behavior is frighteningly high.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:55 am
The bar for accepting deplorable behavior is frighteningly high.
If you consider a weird and awkward way to display the number three "deplorable behavior," then that's a really low bar as well. Whatever the case, the point is that abject apologies do no good. You are guilty if accused, no evidence required, no defense accepted. Ryan's response indicates that he was aware of this.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

hansenkd wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:00 pm a weird and awkward way to display the number three
If that's your take, you have to explain the coincidence of the Sinatra pic. I neither expect nor want you to. This controversy is played out.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

The only comment I have about the NY Times article is the accusation of "gaslighting" toward the ADL. That word has been grossly abused in recent years to the point where it seems to have undergone a semantic shift toward meaning "saying something I disagree with". It seems unfair to accuse the ADL of an action associated with domestic abuse in this case.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

It’s cute how you make statements without any evidence. Talk about played out...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Johnblue wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:33 pm It’s cute how you make statements without any evidence.
You want to equate people who voiced their concern about the Donohue episode with people mindlessly twitter-mobbing anything they perceive as potentially insensitive to someone somewhere (even if not themselves). This is an equation that lacks evidence. My evidence to the contrary is private, and I will respect its privacy by not remarking on it further.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The bar for perceiving criticism as life-ruining, certainly.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

More like J!-adjacent-in-the-media, but former Clue-Crewer Kelly is in this 30-minute infomercial that's actually an ad for a Zack Snyder zombie movie.

I didn't complete checkout on the webpage, but it appears that you can actually buy the thing for the advertised price.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

DBear wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:35 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:34 pm
GaryG wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:29 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:01 pm
GaryG wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:44 pm

I feel like $1000 is OK, but far to many people still use $500 when it's not even a valid clue dollar amount anymore.
Do you know that the picture in your avatar bears a striking resemblance to the white power gesture that started this whole conversation?
Yes. Am I cancelled now?
What do you hope to accomplish with this?
I'm guessing it's to make the cancel Mr. Donohoe brigade and those who abetted them look like fools. :P :twisted:
You mean they need help? :twisted:

Sorry (not really) for the snark, but this whole kerfuffle has been one of the stupidest J! moments I can remember.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Robert K S wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:20 pm More like J!-adjacent-in-the-media, but former Clue-Crewer Kelly is in this 30-minute infomercial that's actually an ad for a Zack Snyder zombie movie.
How strange. I knew Kelly left to have a baby, but why didn’t she return to the show?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:47 pm
Robert K S wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:20 pm More like J!-adjacent-in-the-media, but former Clue-Crewer Kelly is in this 30-minute infomercial that's actually an ad for a Zack Snyder zombie movie.
How strange. I knew Kelly left to have a baby, but why didn’t she return to the show?
When was the last time a Clue Crew clue (say that one three times fast) even appeared?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:49 pm
When was the last time a Clue Crew clue (say that one three times fast) even appeared?
I have not seen one since DJ1 on Wednesday. The 19th. Of May. 2021.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:01 pm
alietr wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:49 pm
I have not seen one since DJ1 on Wednesday. The 19th. Of May. 2021.
That long ago, huh?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Jeopardy! has been nominated for Emmys for Outstanding Game Show, Outstanding Game Show Host (Alex Trebek), and Outstanding Daytime Special Event (GOAT tournament). That last one seems a little generous in terms of eligibility since it was distinctly produced and aired as a primetime program, but maybe it sneaks in via the reruns.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/daytime-em ... 234763704/
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:41 pm Jeopardy! has been nominated for Emmys for Outstanding Game Show, Outstanding Game Show Host (Alex Trebek), and Outstanding Daytime Special Event (GOAT tournament). That last one seems a little generous in terms of eligibility since it was distinctly produced and aired as a primetime program, but maybe it sneaks in via the reruns.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/daytime-em ... 234763704/
I'm more confuddled by this one:
OUTSTANDING DAYTIME SPECIAL EVENT
David Blaine Ascension (YouTube Originals)
Though I suppose when you stream something it's daytime somewhere?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)