J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: J! in the Media

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:05 am

Highlight: Richards: Because of travel restrictions, we have been very, very limited in what we can do. And tournaments in particular really require nationwide casting. In terms of the Tournament of Champions, I am really pushing to get it done this season. As for the others, this year will be a pause.
I'm wondering what those restrictions are, as we know they are getting people from outside southern California.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Thank you for posting the Mike Richards interview, Mark. It's definitely given me a new appreciation for him; I may not care for his hosting but I now very much believe in his love for the show and for Alex.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:58 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:05 am

Highlight: Richards: Because of travel restrictions, we have been very, very limited in what we can do. And tournaments in particular really require nationwide casting. In terms of the Tournament of Champions, I am really pushing to get it done this season. As for the others, this year will be a pause.
I'm wondering what those restrictions are, as we know they are getting people from outside southern California.
There is a Los Angeles County quarantine requirement. You're supposed to quarantine for 10 days if you're traveling into Los Angeles County from out of state. http://www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/me ... visory.htm. I live in Los Angeles County and I didn't actually know that without checking. It looks like this went into effect January 4, 2021. They're back to using "originally from" for some contestants. It looks like the last game with a contestant from out of state was Ken's last game.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
whatsahoe
Contributor

Post by whatsahoe »

It's a very small mention but I thought it was cool enough to share :D :

davey

Post by davey »

whatsahoe wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:47 pm It's a very small mention but I thought it was cool enough to share :D :

His remarks about The Crown are interesting as well...I wish Corden had asked him about The Windsors, a nasty - but hilarious - satire of the present-day royals, also on Netflix. He doesn't come off well. Also "not strictly accurate," I'm sure.
"My Cook-A-Meal"?? I guess that's a Britishism for frozen dinner...?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

How many copies of TV Guide will Mike scoop up?

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

In and out of the pool four times
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I don't know where this belongs but it seems close enough to report on a wheel of fortune rule controversy here.
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/w ... oving-show
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

In season 2, episode 8 of For All Mankind, excerpts of an episode of Jeopardy! appear in the background while two characters are having an emotional discussion (they are NASA engineers). It was Show #14, aired Sept. 27, 1984. The series is an alternate history of the Apollo program; the current season is supposed to be set in 1983, so perhaps the Trebek era began a year earlier in the show's alternate timeline.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

"Claire McNear on the importance of 'Jeopardy!' and the future of the franchise" (a recording of audio)

(description of recording directly below this sentence)
Claire McNear, author of the definitive "Jeopardy!" book, "Answers in the Form of Questions," talks with Brian Stelter about the impact of Alex Trebek's death, the search for a new host, and the views of the "contestant community." McNear says the guest hosting slots may not be "tryouts," per se, and reveals the secrecy that has surrounded the guest hosting process. She also previews some surprises that might be in store later this spring.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Mario500 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:52 pm ...
Claire McNear on the importance of 'Jeopardy!' and the future of the franchise" (a recording of audio)

(description of recording directly below this sentence)
Claire McNear, author of the definitive "Jeopardy!" book, "Answers in the Form of Questions," talks with Brian Stelter about the impact of Alex Trebek's death, the search for a new host, and the views of the "contestant community." McNear says the guest hosting slots may not be "tryouts," per se, and reveals the secrecy that has surrounded the guest hosting process. She also previews some surprises that might be in store later this spring.
Thanks for sharing and I enjoyed the chat.

Answers are coming sooner than later for the most important questions even if the podcast did not reveal anything unknown.

Claire talked about Alex and the ending chats with the players. Correction, microphones are on since more than once J! has released video (with audio) of those segments after games aired.

I'm not buying that LeVar Burton is being coy and that he could be announced soon as a guest host or the permanent host. To me the tea leaves read that it is not happening no matter how many fans are on Mr. Burton's side.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

New McNear piece, "Inside the ‘Jeopardy!’ Guest Host Rotation"

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/4/12/ ... on-rodgers
During one of the show’s midgame Q&As between Jennings and contestants, Newkirk accidentally invoked Trebek. “[Jennings] said, ‘So you’re a voting rights attorney?’ and I said, ‘That’s right, Alex,’” Newkirk says. The mixup was edited out and retaped.
I earlier predicted that this would happen eventually and would not be edited out. I was wrong!
Oz struggled to get the pronunciation of antidisestablishmentarianism right, re-recording “seven or eight times,” Seaman says. “He just couldn’t get it. And more than that he couldn’t get it, he didn’t know when he hadn’t gotten it, so it kind of seemed like the producers were like, Are you gonna tell him that we’ve done this six times and he didn’t get it? Everybody in the audience”—the day’s other contestants—“was like, That’s not how you say that ...”
And some more big news: McNear reports on her Twitter thread that the season will end August 13, that's two extra weeks of shows for Season 37 that we weren't expecting.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:55 am New McNear piece, "Inside the ‘Jeopardy!’ Guest Host Rotation"

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/4/12/ ... on-rodgers

And some more big news: McNear reports on her Twitter thread that the season will end August 13, that's two extra weeks of shows for Season 37 that we weren't expecting.
August 13 for the end of the season is a surprise. That is to make up for the two vault weeks around the holidays or J! will hit the vault again during the Olympics? Matt Carbery would know the number of stations that air J! on NBC.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Another guess is that they already booked Season 37 full of guest hosts but also want to shoehorn in the ToC.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Golf

Post by Golf »

Gotta love how the link spells Jeopardy......
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

More Jeopardy! episodes are coming to Netflix on May 29.
Edit 05/07: This post on Reddit says that the episodes being added are Matt Jackson and Pranjal Vachaspati's run. We'll see on Monday if that's true. If it is, that would be 21 episodes, so they likely would have 24 other episodes, which would add up to the usual 45 episodes total. This is the post from ArbysFan69Midwest:
"They will be adding the games featuring champions Matt Jackson and Pranjal Vachaspati."
Last edited by gameshowfandanny on Sun May 09, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LeVar Burton will be a guest on The View on Monday the 26th. Sunny Hostin will find a way to gripe again for the umpteenth time about losing on the show. Bring on the buzzer blame.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

WARNING: POTENTIAL SPOILER (FOR 4/29) IN THE LINKED ARTICLE!!
Jeopardy! story in the Seattle Times today: https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... -the-show/
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.