J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: J! in the Media

Post by DBear »

New York Post article that absolutely rips Ken Jennings...
https://nypost.com/2020/12/16/ken-jenni ... dy-legacy/
gameshowfandanny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by gameshowfandanny »

I forgot to mention this, but the "Producer's Pick" collection on Netflix (with all episodes from the week of May 28-June 1, 2018) was already removed. I watched the first four episodes in that collection and started the fifth before it got removed.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

The new Netflix episodes are Austin Rogers' entire run, the 2017 Tournament of Champions, the 2018 College Championship, Alan Lin's fifth and sixth games, and the 2017 Teachers Tournament.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

DBear wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:34 pm New York Post article that absolutely rips Ken Jennings...
Ouch.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

DBear wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:34 pm New York Post article that absolutely rips Ken Jennings...
Alex was not online, which gives him an unfair advantage in this case; he had his share of objectionable choices of words on J!, but there isn't a searchable record of everything he said on the show.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Joshua Kosman writes about J!: https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/movies ... to-a-close

Interesting the story does not include the tidbits about Joshua himself appearing on J! (1988) or fellow newspaper writer Scott Ostler's son playing this season.

I'm usually only a print reader and saw the article for the first time in today's edition while I can see it's already been available online since last week.

Editing to add: For J! fans that like collectibles there is a very stylish commemorative edition of People only about J! and Alex that is a wonderful keepsake.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:07 am Interesting the story does not include the tidbits about Joshua himself appearing on J! (1988)...
Looks like your Kosman Koin turned up tails:
Those traditions were in place as far back as 1988, when this fresh-faced young music critic for The Chronicle made a brief and entirely glory-free one-day appearance on the show. (A tip for past and future “Jeopardy!” also-rans: It helps salve the ego wounds just a bit if you can contrive to lose to someone who then goes on to win the Tournament of Champions. Ask me how I know.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:34 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:07 am Interesting the story does not include the tidbits about Joshua himself appearing on J! (1988)...
Looks like your Kosman Koin turned up tails:
Those traditions were in place as far back as 1988, when this fresh-faced young music critic for The Chronicle made a brief and entirely glory-free one-day appearance on the show. (A tip for past and future “Jeopardy!” also-rans: It helps salve the ego wounds just a bit if you can contrive to lose to someone who then goes on to win the Tournament of Champions. Ask me how I know.)
Somehow I missed that paragraph in going to the back page where the story continued. Thank you for the catch. My bad all the way. :oops:
GaryG
Contributor

Post by GaryG »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:49 pm
Alex was not online, which gives him an unfair advantage in this case; he had his share of objectionable choices of words on J!, but there isn't a searchable record of everything he said on the show.
Ken posted a 5 tweet apology thread which reads to me like “sorry I got caught”.
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/12 ... ve-tweets/
Nevertheless, I expect his hosting persona to be that of a perfect apolitical gentleman. The overwhelming majority of Jeopardy viewers will either never know about his social media history or won’t care.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

That article is stupid. 85% of Ken's Twitter feed comprises jokes; to say "now he's saying his bad tweets were supposed to be funny" is to suggest that his bad tweets were genuine opinions he's trying to disavow. Saying "my jokes were hurtful" is not the same as claiming "those things I said were just locker room talk."
ryanjeopardy
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by ryanjeopardy »

Hey everyone! I joined this site years ago and read it all the time but never really posted. I recently wrote an Op-Ed about what Jeopardy and Alex mean to me. It will be published this Sunday in the Boston Herald. I will post a link here once it's published. I hope you all enjoy it and if anyone is able to pass it along to anyone affiliated with the show please feel free!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

GaryG wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:25 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:49 pm
Ken posted a 5 tweet apology thread which reads to me like “sorry I got caught”.
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/12 ... ve-tweets/
Nevertheless, I expect his hosting persona to be that of a perfect apolitical gentleman. The overwhelming majority of Jeopardy viewers will either never know about his social media history or won’t care.
A perfect apolitical gentleman?
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/12/3 ... nant-hits/
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

DBear wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:40 am A perfect apolitical gentleman?
Not seeing the issue, tbh. Fascists are trash, as are those who support them. Good on Ken for taking the piss out of 'em.

Frankly, the only thing I see in that article is a bunch of overgrown (wo)manbabies who come from the same set that spent eight years hanging effigies of Barack Obama and the last five yelling "snowflake!" and "fuck your feelings!" but apparently can't handle even the most anodyne, late-night-tier throwaway lines about their God-Emperor and personality cult leader.

It'd be funny if they weren't so consumed by their hatred of America that they're hellbent on destroying it, by turning it into a violent authoritarian white supremacist hellhole, as punishment for having the sheer unmitigated gall to elect a Black man.
Last edited by Euphonium on Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don’t do Twitter so I would be unaware of his politics if I didn’t read this board. My only comment on them is that mentioning Baron is out of line. Leave minor children out of it. If making jokes about Obama’s kids was wrong then this is just as wrong.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I think the people writing these articles might be even stupider than Trump. That joke mentioning trump’s son is not even remotely about trump’s son, that joke they call “Islamophobic”... I can’t even fathom how stupid you have to be to take that stance.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:36 pm I think the people writing these articles might be even stupider than Trump. That joke mentioning trump’s son is not even remotely about trump’s son, that joke they call “Islamophobic”... I can’t even fathom how stupid you have to be to take that stance.
Seriously. It'd be like digging up my tweet where I parodied "Losing My Religion" with "That's me in the corner. That's me in the cockfight, losing to a chicken," and claiming I was advocating animal cruelty.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

DBear wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:40 am A perfect apolitical gentleman?
The best thing about this article is that it's full of tweets that Ken presumably wasn't apologizing for, considering they're still up.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:44 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:36 pm I think the people writing these articles might be even stupider than Trump. That joke mentioning trump’s son is not even remotely about trump’s son, that joke they call “Islamophobic”... I can’t even fathom how stupid you have to be to take that stance.
Seriously. It'd be like digging up my tweet where I parodied "Losing My Religion" with "That's me in the corner. That's me in the cockfight, losing to a chicken," and claiming I was advocating animal cruelty.
You unimaginable bastard, you.
--
Drowning in the pool
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

ParrotRob wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:20 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:44 pm
You unimaginable bastard, you.
I think we can make YUBY into an internet acronym!