J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: J! in the Media

Post by squarekara »

Nothing new here:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Suzanne Prete, a clueless Sony executive wrote:“We had hoped that when Mike stepped down from the host position at ‘Jeopardy!’ it would have minimized the disruption and internal difficulties we have all experienced these last few weeks people would have pretended he still wasn't here. That clearly has not happened.”
FTFY
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

If ever there was a more obvious example of why the "me too" movement was needed in Hollywood, I don't know what it is.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:00 am
zakharov wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:08 am Anyone whining about Cancel Culture in any context can be safely ignored. It's people uncomfortable with the idea that they can't act like a huge jerk without consequences.
Totally agree.
I think Cancel Culture is dangerous, vicious, quick to judge, unwilling to give the benefit of the doubt, and adept at putting the worst spin on everything. So I guess you can safely ignore me as someone who wants to act like a huge jerk but doesn't want to suffer the consequences.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I'll go a bit against the grain here and say anyone who doesn't think cancel culture is a real thing probably doesn't read Twitter. Both Ken and his podcast cohost have faced its ire in the past year. Not saying there wasn't fair criticism in the mix, which, when thoughtfully presented, was addressed, but there was also just a lot of piling on, volumes of nonsense written by people who didn't know the first thing about the people they were speaking about. People arrive at instant conclusions based on things taken out of context: as Ken called it, "playing a dumb game for dummies."

It's unreasonable to deny that cancel culture played some role in the public reaction to Mike Richards, but whether social media noise played any role in what actually happened behind the scenes leading to his release as EP is impossible for those of us on the outside to know. I think it's enough to point out that Richards was the wrong choice for the show on many levels and whatever the extent of, or justice of, his "cancelation", there were much deeper problems with Richards than social media public opinion.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:19 pm I'll go a bit against the grain here and say anyone who doesn't think cancel culture is a real thing probably doesn't read Twitter. Both Ken and his podcast cohost have faced its ire in the past year. Not saying there wasn't fair criticism in the mix, which, when thoughtfully presented, was addressed, but there was also just a lot of piling on, volumes of nonsense written by people who didn't know the first thing about the people they were speaking about. People arrive at instant conclusions based on things taken out of context: as Ken called it, "playing a dumb game for dummies."

It's unreasonable to deny that cancel culture played some role in the public reaction to Mike Richards, but whether social media noise played any role in what actually happened behind the scenes leading to his release as EP is impossible for those of us on the outside to know. I think it's enough to point out that Richards was the wrong choice for the show on many levels and whatever the extent of, or justice of, his "cancelation", there were much deeper problems with Richards than social media public opinion.
Along those lines, a few days ago, a couple people on Reddit dug up Ken Jennings' AMA from ten years ago and tried to use it to incriminate him (though nothing he said was particularly offensive; certainly not on the level of the unfortunate wheelchair tweet). But there were attempts to accuse him of microaggressions and the like... subtle stuff. I have the impression that for some, the content of what is objected to isn't what matters but this is a calculated effort to bring down anyone other than one's preferred host (e.g. LeVar Burton).

Richards still had to go, but when push comes to shove, I suspect most hardcore J! fans would admit it wasn't the podcast comments that most bothered them.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:37 pm Along those lines, a few days ago, a couple people on Reddit dug up Ken Jennings' AMA from ten years ago and tried to use it to incriminate him (though nothing he said was particularly offensive; certainly not on the level of the unfortunate wheelchair tweet). But there were attempts to accuse him of microaggressions and the like... subtle stuff. I have the impression that for some, the content of what is objected to isn't what matters but this is a calculated effort to bring down anyone other than one's preferred host (e.g. LeVar Burton).
In the AskReddit sub, there'll be a question from time to time on who should be the next president or who should be world dictator or other such silliness. I've taken to nominating LeVar Burton on the primary ground that his fans would stop clamoring for him to host Jeopardy! and, secondarily, because he'd probably be good at the job. I usually get more upvotes than down.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:37 pm Richards still had to go, but when push comes to shove, I suspect most hardcore J! fans would admit it wasn't the podcast comments that most bothered them.
Agreed. If he'd come by the job honestly--i.e. recused himself from the selection process and turned in a 2-week performance that most people felt was clearly superior to the others--I'd have been willing to give him a chance to turn over a new leaf and distance himself from past sins. I mean, that's basically my attitude toward KJ.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:45 pm
zakharov wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:08 am Anyone whining about Cancel Culture in any context can be safely ignored. It's people uncomfortable with the idea that they can't act like a huge jerk without consequences.
Totally agree.
I think Cancel Culture is dangerous, vicious, quick to judge, unwilling to give the benefit of the doubt, and adept at putting the worst spin on everything. So I guess you can safely ignore me as someone who wants to act like a huge jerk but doesn't want to suffer the consequences.
Actually I think you are correct, opus. I wouldn't agree with the "in any context" part. However, I think it's justified in the case of Mike Richards because if he was indeed "canceled" it was from the weight of the evidence, not simply from a knee-jerk. No way would I think he should have lost the job solely from some flippant podcast remarks,.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:30 pm
Totally agree.
Actually I think you are correct, opus. I wouldn't agree with the "in any context" part. However, I think it's justified in the case of Mike Richards because if he was indeed "canceled" it was from the weight of the evidence, not simply from a knee-jerk. No way would I think he should have lost the job solely from some flippant podcast remarks,.
Agreed. I don't think Richards is a "victim" of Cancel Culture. I'm comfortable in categorizing such claims as whining that misses--heck, that actively attempts to subvert--the point.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Totally agree.
Completely agree; even a stone atheist like me sees the deep wisdom embodied in KJV John 8:7 - “… and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone…”

But count me among those who suspect “cancel culture” wasn’t really the issue with Richards; far more damning was the perception - right or wrong - that he used his EP role to twist the process in his favor to get the much more prestigious (and likely much better paying) host position. Once that idea gained sufficient currency at Sony and in the Jeopardy! production team, he “lost the room”, his position became untenable and he had to go.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Dear Gawd, I am so done with talking about Mike Richards. The new season cannot come soon enough.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:20 pm Dear Gawd, I am so done with talking about Mike Richards. The new season cannot come soon enough.
...or in your case, the -second- week of the new season!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Somehow, this NYT piece from Aug. 26 didn't get posted here, that I saw.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/26/styl ... -fans.html

For those paywalled, it's a man-on-the-street type piece, with opinion from across the spectrum of ages and occupations, including from former contestants Leigh Hoopes and Ethan Brosowsky. Mostly asking who should be the new host.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

A little more chatter:
Outsider: ‘Jeopardy!’ Champ Matt Amodio Declares ‘Long Live’ Ken Jennings in Shout Out to Game Show Icon.
https://outsider.com/news/entertainment ... show-icon/
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

squarekara wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:49 pm A little more chatter:
Outsider: ‘Jeopardy!’ Champ Matt Amodio Declares ‘Long Live’ Ken Jennings in Shout Out to Game Show Icon.
https://outsider.com/news/entertainment ... show-icon/
Regarding the "[sic]" in the Outsider article, I'm confident Matt knows that first names are not normally preceded by the definite article and that he was simply playing on the well-known phrase "long live the king".
I'm smart and I want respect.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

DBear wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:20 pm Dear Gawd, I am so done with talking about Mike Richards. The new season cannot come soon enough.
(suggests patience and remaining calm (such as resisting an urge to express rage through text))
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Mario500 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:08 am
(suggests patience and remaining calm (such as resisting an urge to express rage through text))
Not sensing anything near rage from DBear. We're all frustrated with the same news cycling through multiple discussion threads. But, hey, at least it's something to chew during the off season.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

squarekara wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:16 am
Mario500 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:08 am
Not sensing anything near rage from DBear. We're all frustrated with the same news cycling through multiple discussion threads. But, hey, at least it's something to chew during the off season.
Huh? Rage? Not at all. I'm just tired of going over the same 'ol same 'ol. Looking forward to the season starting, when we'll have actual games to talk about, & as I indicated on the "will you watch" poll, some schadenfreude as a bonus