J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Mario500
Valued Contributor

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Mario500 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:05 pm
tddeveryday wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:01 pm This isn't quite true to the spirit of this thread, but here goes anyway. There's a new movie coming out this week that's a sequel to the 2019 horror movie Escape Room. It's called Escape Room: Tournament of Champions.

It has nothing to do with Jeopardy!, as far as I know. But the title by itself has me wondering if they took the name from Jeopardy! or somewhere else. I also stumbled across a reality cooking competition show called simply Tournament of Champions a few months ago. Are these other people copying Jeopardy! without giving credit and without realizing it? What's the deal here?
PBA would have a claim before Fleming J!
"PBA"?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Mario500 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:40 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:05 pm
tddeveryday wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:01 pm This isn't quite true to the spirit of this thread, but here goes anyway. There's a new movie coming out this week that's a sequel to the 2019 horror movie Escape Room. It's called Escape Room: Tournament of Champions.

It has nothing to do with Jeopardy!, as far as I know. But the title by itself has me wondering if they took the name from Jeopardy! or somewhere else. I also stumbled across a reality cooking competition show called simply Tournament of Champions a few months ago. Are these other people copying Jeopardy! without giving credit and without realizing it? What's the deal here?
PBA would have a claim before Fleming J!
"PBA"?
The Professional Bowlers Association had a Tournament of Champions beginning in 1962.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

… and the PGA Tour since 1953.
davey

Post by davey »

What Ever Happened to IBM’s Watson?
IBM’s artificial intelligence was supposed to transform industries and generate riches for the company. Neither has panned out. Now, IBM has settled on a humbler vision for Watson.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/16/tech ... atson.html
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

davey wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:40 pm What Ever Happened to IBM’s Watson?
IBM’s artificial intelligence was supposed to transform industries and generate riches for the company. Neither has panned out. Now, IBM has settled on a humbler vision for Watson.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/16/tech ... atson.html
Couldn't read it behind the paywall, but my Weather Channel app for a while showed some sort of Watson logo when opening the app, and it still shows "an IBM company". Does predicting weather have anything to do with what Watson is up to these days?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:45 am Couldn't read it behind the paywall
Highlights:

The chief scientist, in charge of the project, David Ferucci, left IBM a year after he warned the suits that the system was designed to play Jeopardy! and would require extensive additional research and development to tackle all the medical, legal, etc. tasks that the suits wanted to apply the technology to. The suits thought Watson, like the mainframes of IBM's heyday, could "provide an engine of growth and profits for years, even decades". But "today, instead of being a shorthand for technological prowess, Watson stands out as a sobering example of the pitfalls of technological hype and hubris around A.I." (Not mentioned in the article, but they even built a gleaming new building in NYC for the Watson unit.) In particular, Watson had a hard time understanding new electronic medical record systems, doctors’ notes, and patient histories. In the oncology applications, there were gaps in the genetic data that prevented accurate analyses. IBM spent over $4 billion feeding Watson data. A computer scientist named Arvind Krishna was made the unit's chief executive with the mandate to turn the unit around, with a pared-down vision. Insurer Anthem uses Watson Assistant to handle customer support.

The article isn't really able to state definitively whether Watson is a commercial success or failure, because IBM doesn't release its financials for the unit, but the article concludes with an optimistic tone that Watson still shows promise of profitability.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

All this coming out before his episodes even air!!!
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:37 pm All this coming out before his episodes even air!!!
This is the same material that has been coming out for all the other guests hosts, at the same time with respect to each of the other guest hosts.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Came out this morning. No news, same old info and same old speculation. Nothing new in this "news."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/jeopa ... vi-AAMxL0j
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

My daughter is watching Home (2015), an animated movie with Jim Parsons as an alien. The first five notes of the main piano theme, which I think is only six notes, are the first five notes of "Think!"
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

This article contains some commentary by the current champ regarding his patented response style:
Newsweek: 'Jeopardy!' Clarifies Rules After Contestant's Answering Style Irks Viewers.
https://www.newsweek.com/jeopardy-clari ... io-1615526
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

squarekara wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:45 am This article contains some commentary by the current champ regarding his patented response style:
Newsweek: 'Jeopardy!' Clarifies Rules After Contestant's Answering Style Irks Viewers.
Nothing surprising in this article, but this irked me: "Jeopardy! doesn't require that the response is grammatically correct . . . the three-letter name of a British Invasion rock band can be a correct response all by itself ('The Who?')...." I don't see how this response would be in the form of a question. At the very least it is against the spirit of the rules.
davey

Post by davey »

Woppy T wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:46 pm
squarekara wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:45 am This article contains some commentary by the current champ regarding his patented response style:
Nothing surprising in this article, but this irked me: "Jeopardy! doesn't require that the response is grammatically correct . . . the three-letter name of a British Invasion rock band can be a correct response all by itself ('The Who?')...." I don't see how this response would be in the form of a question. At the very least it is against the spirit of the rules.
An official Jeopardy! account is telling us that it is in the spirit of the rules. Should we argue with that?