J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: J! in the Media

Post by opusthepenguin »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:09 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:27 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:20 pm ‘Jeopardy!’: Who Could Possibly Replace Alex Trebek?

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/jeopar ... 234826467/
As an archivist I would not want the new host to have too common of a first name (Sorry, Mike Richards fans) as archiving in such instances as host/contestant sharing a first name requires spelling out the last name in all cases for comments and misses by either person. A common first name along with the new host having an unfriendly to type last name would be no fun.
perhaps you would prefer Rolf Benirschke?
If we're going with unlikely choices, I vote for Steve Wojciechowski.

In any event, I'm sure first name plus initial will work in most cases.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

jlgarfield wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:00 pm https://www.instagram.com/p/CHWqOb2FiZV ... 9afcu751ww - From October 5, 1984, just barely several weeks into the current Jeopardy! run, the Raleigh (NC) News and Observer had some harsh words for it:
“The new Jeopardy is a disgrace”
This was a syndicated review that ran in a bunch of papers, so it technically wasn't the News and Observer that had the words -- Mike Duffy was the TV critic for the Detroit Free Press. It's probably been posted in this thread before, in fact.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Playlist of every Celebrity Jeopardy in order:

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Ryan Reynolds discussed his final phone call with Alex Trebek a couple of months ago. Reynolds read some clues for the show that appeared in the final GOAT game that aired in January and in a regular play game that aired in February. It seems like Alex wanted Reynolds to return to do some more reading but Reynolds's schedule did not permit.

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

In the past I've posted pages from TV Guide that had something about J! Six full pages (plus a portion of the front cover) is a very nice tribute to Alex in the Nov. 23 - December 6 issue though too much to share online this time. If you see the mag at the checkout line (Is that still a thing? For both shoppers and the publication?) then it's worth a flip through. If the clerk is like the one in The Queen's Gambit then you touch it, you buy it... unless you filch it.
jboardfan
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by jboardfan »

Ken Jennings: “Don’t Neglect the Thing That Makes You Weird”
It was only in his late twenties that America’s favorite brainiac began to seriously embrace his love of trivia. Now he holds the “Greatest of All Time” title on Jeopardy! Steve Levitt digs into how he trained for the show, what it means to have a “geographic memory,” and why we lie to our children.
https://freakonomics.com/podcast/pima-ken-jennings/
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Ken Jennings Scores a Grammy Nomination for Alex Trebek: The Answer Is Audiobook

In other news, Jennings announced today that he will "go for the EGOT" in 2021. In addition to this morning's Grammy nomination and his upcoming guest-host stint on Jeopardy!, Jennings will write the screenplay and play the title role in the Netflix movie Braniac in February. In March, he begins rehearsals for Maphead: The Musical, which will displace the long-running Wicked at Broadway's Gershwin Theatre.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Here's the competition:
BEST SPOKEN WORD ALBUM (INCLUDES POETRY, AUDIO BOOKS & STORYTELLING)

Acid for the Children: A Memoir, Flea
Alex Trebek - The Answer Is..., Ken Jennings
Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth, Rachel Maddow
Catch and Kill, Ronan Farrow
Charlotte's Web (E.B. White), Meryl Streep (and Full Cast)
If Meryl Streep weren't in the lineup I'd say Ken bags the Grammy easy on sympathy vote alone. Then it's just a hop, skip, and a jump to EGOT, baby.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

kablamfan11 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:40 pm The current collection is leaving Netflix on November 27th.
https://www.glamour.com/story/leaving-n ... ember-2020
And new collections of Jeopardy! are being added on Netflix on December 18:
https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/nati ... c463bb6474
These are the collection names, according to the article:
"Jeopardy! Champion Run V"
"Jeopardy! Champion Run VI"
"Jeopardy! Teacher's Tournament"
"Jeopardy! College Championship"
"Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Maybe they will show the 1991 College tournament to pick up the 20 clues missing from the final.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Is the current crop of Netflix shows really leaving Friday?

Every time I play one, it says "Leaving December 17" - specifically I'm on Josh Hill's run, the "last" one listed numerically, but the one on the top of the menu.

I wonder if recent events might have caused Netflix to try to extend the dates.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:32 pm Is the current crop of Netflix shows really leaving Friday?

Every time I play one, it says "Leaving December 17" - specifically I'm on Josh Hill's run, the "last" one listed numerically, but the one on the top of the menu.

I wonder if recent events might have caused Netflix to try to extend the dates.
I remember that the previous collections were originally announced to leave on June 27, 2020, but they didn't leave until July 27, 2020, and then the current collections were added the next day, July 28.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:21 pm Maybe they will show the 1991 College tournament to pick up the 20 clues missing from the final.
Probably wishful thinking... my sense is they have a preference for the post-HD content
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:49 am
Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:21 pm Maybe they will show the 1991 College tournament to pick up the 20 clues missing from the final.
Probably wishful thinking... my sense is they have a preference for the post-HD content
Maybe they will put together a series of episodes with full credit rolls.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:12 pm Maybe they will put together a series of episodes with full credit rolls.
:lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Well played.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Maybe it ran only in the Sunday print edition because I can't find it online, but on Nov. 22 The Seattle Times ran a piece headlined "Could Jennings be the next Jeopardy! host?" that included this howler:
...[KJ] won last January's $1 million "Jeopardy!: The Greatest of All Time" tournament over equally likable rivals James Holzhauer and Brad Rutter in dominant fashion...
For the record, I wasn't howling about Brad's likability.
In and out of the pool four times
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

reddpen wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:34 pm Maybe it ran only in the Sunday print edition because I can't find it online, but on Nov. 22 The Seattle Times ran a piece headlined "Could Jennings be the next Jeopardy! host?" that included this howler:
...[KJ] won last January's $1 million "Jeopardy!: The Greatest of All Time" tournament over equally likable rivals James Holzhauer and Brad Rutter in dominant fashion...
For the record, I wasn't howling about Brad's likability.
Now that is pretty funny!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

On the other hand, since Brad is a shill for Chip Beall's rigged tournaments, I think he's the not likeable one.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:10 pm On the other hand, since Brad is a shill for Chip Beall's rigged tournaments, I think he's the not likeable one.
Chip Beall...now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time...a long time..