J! Archive suggestion

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: J! Archive suggestion

Post by Robert K S »

I might be able to set it up so that search box queries like "show:5840" or "date:2014-09-18" lead directly to the page of interest. Would this suffice? (I'm not quite sure I understand the full scope of the suggested functionality, but a dynamically populated thing sounds like it could be more work than it's worth, especially if ultimately only a few dozen people ever use such functionality.)

While it's understandable that someone might want to be able to look a game all the way through without knowing its outcome, it has never been a priority on the Archive to shield from spoilers. My feeling has always been that there has to be some sort of expiration date on what could be considered a spoiler. I mean, "Spoiler Alert, Ken Jennings lost." Amirite?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Robert K S wrote:"Spoiler Alert, Ken Jennings lost."
Ah, crap! I was waiting for the reruns to see how that turned out.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

jeopardyfan87 wrote:I also have a suggestion, and I don't want any of you to believe that I'm acting crazy here, but though this in a way wouldn't belong in the official J-Archive, I wonder if someone out there could make a separate site of archived games that would be of the two spin-off editions of the show, the 1998 kids show "Jep!" and the 1998-2001 VH1 show "Rock & Roll Jeopardy!" Of course, there are downfalls for using both editions that might make it tough to make archives; for "Jep!" more than 50% of all the clues given were visuals, the kids' buzzer was a randomizer to select the point value, besides Daily Doubles there were also clues that would feature the "JEP! Squad" & clues that would let the contestants win a Tiger Toys prize, and the way incorrect answers were treated. And for Rock & Roll Jeopardy, though there were more clues there with just words on the screens and the game boards were just like the regular Jeopardy show, those downfalls were the fact that some clues were just audio or video clips (or for that matter were included in the clues), and there was no first-break during Round 1 of play.
For that matter, how about a place to archive whatever Fleming-era games that are available, or one for international versions (though for the non-English ones it'd be best to have someone fluent in the language be the archivist).
jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings

Post by jeopfansincebirth »

GoodStrategy wrote:
jeopardyfan87 wrote:I also have a suggestion, and I don't want any of you to believe that I'm acting crazy here, but though this in a way wouldn't belong in the official J-Archive, I wonder if someone out there could make a separate site of archived games that would be of the two spin-off editions of the show, the 1998 kids show "Jep!" and the 1998-2001 VH1 show "Rock & Roll Jeopardy!" Of course, there are downfalls for using both editions that might make it tough to make archives; for "Jep!" more than 50% of all the clues given were visuals, the kids' buzzer was a randomizer to select the point value, besides Daily Doubles there were also clues that would feature the "JEP! Squad" & clues that would let the contestants win a Tiger Toys prize, and the way incorrect answers were treated. And for Rock & Roll Jeopardy, though there were more clues there with just words on the screens and the game boards were just like the regular Jeopardy show, those downfalls were the fact that some clues were just audio or video clips (or for that matter were included in the clues), and there was no first-break during Round 1 of play.
For that matter, how about a place to archive whatever Fleming-era games that are available, or one for international versions (though for the non-English ones it'd be best to have someone fluent in the language be the archivist).
That might not be possible for attempting to archive all the games from the short-lived Australian version of J! with Tony Barber, AFAIK. There are no full episodes of that version that exist on YouTube.
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Robert K S wrote:I might be able to set it up so that search box queries like "show:5840" or "date:2014-09-18" lead directly to the page of interest.
This functionality is now implemented. So, you now know a secret undocumented function of J! Archive search. Let me know if you find any bugs.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Robert K S wrote:
This functionality is now implemented. So, you now know a secret undocumented function of J! Archive search. Let me know if you find any bugs.
I'd work on that definition if I were you. ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
anotherclue
Contributor

Post by anotherclue »

Also, since he is more than likely going to appear in the TOC, can someone note Mark Japinga's games in the Archive?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

anotherclue wrote:Also, since he is more than likely going to appear in the TOC, can someone note Mark Japinga's games in the Archive?
Key here is "more than likely", not "certainty".

Isn't it just the super champs whose games are marked? I didn't think TOC qualification was the benchmark here.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Isn't it just the super champs whose games are marked? I didn't think TOC qualification was the benchmark here.
From the looks of it, once they appear in a 5th game, they get the annotation (although honestly, I thought it was only 5x-ers +).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Isn't it just the super champs whose games are marked? I didn't think TOC qualification was the benchmark here.
From the looks of it, once they appear in a 5th game, they get the annotation (although honestly, I thought it was only 5x-ers +).
Now that you mention it, I do recall having to mark some games "John Doe game XX" while their streak was still going, merely because they have been in at least 5 games. But, unless my count is off, Mark Japinga has been in 5 games, so, well before Jerry Slowik's alleged indiscretion took place, Mark should have had his games marked anyways. (And I doubt that, since it doesn't look like Jerry will be there, his games will have their marks removed from the Archive.)

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

5+x champs, regular game ToC participants, and certain otherwise notable champs (I don't know how that's decided; perhaps "game show community" people) get their names attached to their games. 5+x champs get it promptly after or even during their appearances; eventual ToC participants who have won fewer than 5 tend to get their names noted after they appear in the ToC.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:certain otherwise notable champs (I don't know how that's decided; perhaps "game show community" people) get their names attached to their games.
Not sure about this one, I can't recall seeing anyone who had less than 5 games there. For example, Robert KS definitely qualifies as "game show community people" - at least around here, but his two games are un-remarked.

Do you have an example of some of these so I can see for myself?

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:
seaborgium wrote:certain otherwise notable champs (I don't know how that's decided; perhaps "game show community" people) get their names attached to their games.
Not sure about this one, I can't recall seeing anyone who had less than 5 games there. For example, Robert KS definitely qualifies as "game show community people" - at least around here, but his two games are un-remarked.

Do you have an example of some of these so I can see for myself?
The famous Mr. Coryat: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=2119
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Also David (?) Juliano and Jason Block and Adam Taxin. I think Rocky Schmidt deserves it too, but he doesn't have it.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Are there any plans to make Sports Jeopardy archive?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

There are no plans to put Sports games in the Archive (doing so would require significant retooling). Or to denote my glorious games 1 and 2, for that matter. ;)

As a general rule, we don't denote the games of mere 4-time champs, even if they have appeared in five games, until we have rock-hard confirmation that they appeared in a ToC. Since the ToC has taped, if any attendees want to provide that confirmation, it will be a delight to note those champs' games in the Archive.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Robert K S wrote:There are no plans to put Sports games in the Archive (doing so would require significant retooling). Or to denote my glorious games 1 and 2, for that matter. ;)

As a general rule, we don't denote the games of mere 4-time champs, even if they have appeared in five games, until we have rock-hard confirmation that they appeared in a ToC. Since the ToC has taped, if any attendees want to provide that confirmation, it will be a delight to note those champs' games in the Archive.
Now that you're here, maybe you can comment on what the threshold is of non TOC, non superchamps that have their games marked; as a fan (but not one that really notes players and history and the like) I know who Katl Coryat and Dan Melia are, but the other names don't ring a bell. Is it pretty much just your "whim", or is there a method to your madness?

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

[Presuming you mean Avila (Melia was bona fide)] I have no idea what the other criteria are, but I suspect non-five-timer, non-tee-oh-see-ers (that is a word) were given their denotements (that is not a word) back in the early days of the Archive when pre-Archive-era games were rare in the Archive and it was all rather ad hoc and there was little thought given. I'd be fine with deleting non-qualifying denotements, but then that would mean no note for Coryat, and we like him so very, very much. Being a J! champ who does very well on at least one other game show, or makes numerous other game show appearances, would seem to be noteworthy enough to get a denotement. If somebody wants to propose additions and deletions I'm all in favor of a Wikipedia-style discussion on what the criteria should be. At the very minimum I think champ status would be requisite for notation worthiness, but of course there must be more than that.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote:There are no plans to put Sports games in the Archive (doing so would require significant retooling). Or to denote my glorious games 1 and 2, for that matter. ;)

I would request you not put any special note for Japinga until his TOC games actually air. We (those who were not at the tapings) do not know for a fact if he is in or if the TOC qualifying closed at the end of S30. I think it would be a spoiler if it was listed now.