Season 28 airdates

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Season 28 airdates

Post by Bamaman »

I hated the Power Players weeks almost as much as the celebrity games.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

legendneverdies wrote:As per a post on Invision:

TOC airdates not given, but no tourneys are listed in that post for November sweeps, so perhaps it will be in November(Alex said after the College TOurney final rerun in a pre-taped bit that Erin would be returning for the TofC this Fall)
College-Wed Feb 1-Tue Feb 14 2012
Teacher-Wed Feb 15-Tue Feb 28 2012
Teen-Mon Apr 30-Fri May 11 2012(week two from Washington DC)
DC POwer PLayers-Mon May 14-Fri May 18 2012
Kids' week-Mon July 30-Fri August 3 2012(season finale week)
"November" is "fall"? Yet again, Alex moves further and further away from being a Canadian. :shake:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I think the DC contingent might have to hit Maggie up for some tickets!
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

Well, this will only be the third time they've ever done a Power Players Week. They did one November 1997 and May 2004. It looks like they have a lot of tournaments planned for this season. I just wish the season wasn't starting later than usual.
Nicky
Contributor

Post by Nicky »

I saw this post! It is weird that the TOC isn't listed for November, especially since it had the entire Wheel of Fortune season schedule starting with the season premiere week on September 19. But I do trust it will be November 7 - 18. Here are my opinions on the rest of the schedule:

It's great they're going back on the road to Washington DC, and they're doing the Power Players once again! And it's interesting they're doing the semifinals and finals for the Teen Tournament on the road, which they only did twice and not in years (in November 1997 in Washington, also immediately followed by the Power Players and November 1999 in New York). But as great as the Teachers Tournament was, do they have to have it immediately followed by the College Championship in February? I think what would have made more sense is to instead have the Teachers end the season in July - August and attached Kids Week to the CC. That way, they can have no more than 3-week interruptions and more regular games in the month of February.

However, it is great that Kids Week is ending the season rather than airing it in a random week in the summer. That way, there's no block of regular games lasting as little as 3 weeks. However, with this being the first new episode in August due to the late start of the season, it's sad that there's no regular game in August. But maybe the Season 29 finale July 29 - Aug. 2, 2013 won't be Kids Week! I think what they should do is attach Kids Week to a November, February, or May tournament, and here's hoping they do that in Season 29. I think it should really be in November 2013, or if Season 29 just has to have one, May 2013, and regular games for all non-sweeps months. But despite that and the sadness of no regular game in August, still better to end the season with it than have it a random summer week.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I read "Teen-Mon" too quickly the first time and I thought MTV was throwing their young mothers on the show.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but is Season 27 the only season not to have a TOC in it (not counting any preempted by Jennings' run?)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

dhkendall wrote:BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but is Season 27 the only season not to have a TOC in it (not counting any preempted by Jennings' run?)
Season 23, one of the ones not pre-empted by Jennings did not have a ToC.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Nicky
Contributor

Post by Nicky »

And nor was Season 17, which also didn't have Ken Jennings. And though Season 20, the other season not to have one, did have Ken Jennings, he was only in regular games then, and the Season 21 TOC happened to span his regular game run, and the Ultimate TOC was later that season. Here are all the TOC dates since I've been watching in Season 10:

Season 10: November 15 - 26, 1993
Season 11: November 14 - 25, 1994
Season 12: November 13 - 24, 1995
Season 13: November 18 - 29, 1996
Season 14: February 2 - 13, 1998
Season 15: February 8 - 19, 1999
Season 16: May 8 - 19, 2000 (in Atlanta)
As I said, none in Season 17
Season 18: October 22 - November 2, 2001
Season 19: May 5 - 16, 2003
As I said, none in Season 20, and Ken Jennings started his regular game run June 2, 2004
Season 21: (still during Ken Jennings's run): September 20 - October 1, 2004, and the Ultimate Tournament of Champions, was much later that season, February 9 - May 25, 2005
Season 22: May 8 - 19, 2006
As Roadgeek Adam said, none in Season 23
Season 24: November 5 - 16, 2007
Season 25: March 11 - 24, 2009 (from Las Vegas)
Season 26: May 10 - 21, 2010
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

why have another teachers' tournament? There are other professions...
joepozz
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by joepozz »

Woppy T wrote:why have another teachers' tournament? There are other professions...
Alex always says that teachers (along with students and lawyers) make the best contestants. There is no reason to have a special tournament just for them. Have one for professions who are under-represented on Jeopardy. Off-hand, I'd suggest clergy or the military. I know that some of them have been in the show, but why not have more?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

joepozz wrote:
Woppy T wrote:why have another teachers' tournament? There are other professions...
Alex always says that teachers (along with students and lawyers) make the best contestants. There is no reason to have a special tournament just for them. Have one for professions who are under-represented on Jeopardy. Off-hand, I'd suggest clergy or the military. I know that some of them have been in the show, but why not have more?
Teachers and Jeopardy! go together like mom and apple pie. Behind every contestant and hopeful lies at *least* one educator who spurred a love of knowledge. It really just makes sense to put them on a pedestal...no teachers, no Jeopardy!

Plus when you cull the teachers from the contestant pool and put them in their own tourney, it makes it easier on the rest of the plebes :mrgreen:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

legendneverdies wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:As per a post on Invision:

TOC airdates not given, but no tourneys are listed in that post for November sweeps, so perhaps it will be in November(Alex said after the College TOurney final rerun in a pre-taped bit that Erin would be returning for the TofC this Fall)
College-Wed Feb 1-Tue Feb 14 2012
Teacher-Wed Feb 15-Tue Feb 28 2012
Teen-Mon Apr 30-Fri May 11 2012(week two from Washington DC)
DC POwer PLayers-Mon May 14-Fri May 18 2012
Kids' week-Mon July 30-Fri August 3 2012(season finale week)
"November" is "fall"? Yet again, Alex moves further and further away from being a Canadian. :shake:
Assuming season 29 starts the same week season 28 does, i.e. on 9/17/2012, what six weeks get rerun next Summer?
My guess are: Teachers, Kids, DC Power, and TOC. Teachers and DC because they seem to like the gimmicky weeks (qv. MDCI), Kids to fill out the extra week (and it also seems to be a producer favourite) and TOC because it's been a while since they reran those in the summer.

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Volante wrote:
joepozz wrote:
Teachers and Jeopardy! go together like mom and apple pie. Behind every contestant and hopeful lies at *least* one educator who spurred a love of knowledge. It really just makes sense to put them on a pedestal...no teachers, no Jeopardy!

Plus when you cull the teachers from the contestant pool and put them in their own tourney, it makes it easier on the rest of the plebes :mrgreen:
Of course and I just found out that one of the English professors on my campus was a champion back in Season 14. Maybe that's what'll take for me to take the test, some training from a 2 time champion.
Adam Seth Moss
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Volante wrote:
joepozz wrote:

I don't mind the teachers getting their day in the sun (like Woppy noted, they have had a very profound impact on the show in many ways), but I do agree it would be nice to spotlight other professions in the future, perhaps. I may be a bit biased in this regard, but I think it would be cool to have a Musicians' Tournament... :)
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Of course you know they'll run out of ideas when we have: "THIS IS THE JEOPARDY GARBAGEMEN'S TOURNAMENT!"
Adam Seth Moss
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Personally, I'm waiting for the "underemployed Canadian office workers tournament". I figure it'll increase my chances of getting on.

BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Of course you know they'll run out of ideas when we have: "THIS IS THE JEOPARDY GARBAGEMEN'S TOURNAMENT!"
Actually, that's not a bad idea, at least in terms of a gimmick for boosting viewership. I bet a lot of people would tune in, just wanting to see how poorly the garbagemen do so that they can feel better about themselves. But I'll bet there are more than a few garbagemen out there who could hold their own on Jeopardy! It could be both interesting and entertaining. And they should all wear their garbageman's coveralls (freshly laundered, of course).
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:Of course you know they'll run out of ideas when we have: "THIS IS THE JEOPARDY GARBAGEMEN'S TOURNAMENT!"
Actually, that's not a bad idea, at least in terms of a gimmick for boosting viewership. I bet a lot of people would tune in, just wanting to see how poorly the garbagemen do so that they can feel better about themselves. But I'll bet there are more than a few garbagemen out there who could hold their own on Jeopardy! It could be both interesting and entertaining. And they should all wear their garbageman's coveralls (freshly laundered, of course).
But... would they let sanitation workers compete? :mrgreen:
KellyJ!
Contributor

Post by KellyJ! »

Instead of another age- or occupation-based tournament, I thought of another tournament idea: Remember my April Fool's joke from earlier this year about the upcoming ToC being held in England? As a spin-off from that (hosting a J! tourney of Americans in a foreign country) instead of the ToC being on foreign soil to have a "lesser" tournament made up of a combination of Americans (and Canadians) who are in the regular pool who expressed an interest of traveling to the foreign country and expats from North America living in the host country. The prizes would be a roughly equivalent amount in the local currency as to what they are in the College and Teacher tourneys (as well as a ToC spot). Remember that this wouldn't be a tournament of foreigners, but of Americans/Canadians who either traveled to the host country or expats who live there. As with the ToC idea, to be of entertainment value to the people in the other country the idea would probably have to be restricted to areas where English is widely understood. (ETA: While they're in said country, TPTB could also maybe get in a Celebrity game or two using celebs from there.)