Wednesday, October 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6908, 2014-10-01

CONTESTANTS
Josh Hager, an archivist from Raleigh, North Carolina
Sara Goodman, a graduate student originally from Huntington Woods, Michigan
Elisa Korb, a professor from Bethlehem, Pennsylvania (whose 2-day cash winnings total $37,100)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. Welcome aboard. I think I'm safe in saying, having observed our champion's reactions at the end of our last two shows, that she keeps surprising herself, and finding out how good a player she is. And what will happen today as she faces Sara and Josh. Well, let's start finding out. Good luck, players. Here we go. Here are the categories for the first round today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STATES' HIGH & LOW POINTS (3/5) (Alex: You identify the state for us.)
THE TV BUSINESS (4/5)
SILENT G (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: There's a [*] in each correct response in this category.)
TITLE CHARACTERS (5/5)
BOOKS FOR BARTENDERS (3/3)
MERE MEREDITHS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sara: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Josh: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Elisa: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sara found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Elisa had $1,800, Sara had $2,400, and Josh was at $600. Sara wagered $1,000.

SILENT G $800: The partition separating the thoracic cavity from the abdominal

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sara: $3,400
Elisa: $1,800
Josh: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Josh Hager is an archivist from North Carolina, who, as part of his work, wound up discovering something about John Wilkes Booth. Am I correct?

Josh: Yes, I processed a collection of vaudeville papers. And it was the vaudevillian and his wife and his wife happened to be a descendant of John Wilkes Booth. And in the collection, between two cabinet cards, was a heretofore undiscovered cabinet card of John Wilkes Booth in profile.

Alex: And where is that card now?

Josh: It's held at Duke University's Rubenstein Library.

Alex: Okay, so it's not for sale, obviously.

Josh: No, sir.

Alex: All righty.

Alex: Sara Goodman --graduate student from Michigan, served in the U.S. Peace Corps. Where?

Sara: I was in Burkina Faso, West Africa --formally known as Upper Volta --from June 2011 to August 2013.

Alex: Doing what kind of work?

Sara: So, I was an education volunteer, and I was working with sixth graders to try and help them get into middle school, because the more education, the better they all are off in life, and especially for the girls, it's really important. And I did a lot of public health stuff, specifically, malaria prevention, HIV/AIDS prevention and hygiene promotion, which encouraged me to work towards my masters in public health.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Elisa Korb is our champion. She slept in Grand Central Station. Now, what's all that about, big snowstorm, a blackout, what?

Elisa: I wish it was that. But no, I was probably about 17 years old. I had just started college. About six friends and I decided we were going to go clubbing
in Manhattan, and we spent all our money, so, we had to sleep in Grand Central and a man who worked there actually gave us black garbage bags to sleep on
and paid for our breakfast and paid for our train tickets to go back.

Alex: Good Samaritan.

Elisa: Yeah, very.

Alex: In New York City. Yes, there are many of them there.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE TV BUSINESS $800: TV advertisers' coveted age group is this 31-year span
(Josh: What is 18-34?)
(Elisa: What is 18-40?)
(Alex: You guys are not good at math.)

STATES' HIGH & LOW POINTS $800: Low:
Snake River in Nez Perce County

STATES' HIGH & LOW POINTS $1000: High:
Black Mountain in Harlan County

MERE MEREDITHS $1000: In 1962 he became the first black student at the University of Mississippi

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sara: $4,600
Josh: $3,200
Elisa: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WORLD HIGH & LOW POINTS (3/5)
PAINTERS (5/5)
STARTS WITH A 3-LETTER BODY PART (0/2)
LITERARY QUOTES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ANTHROPOLOGY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BEFORE & AFTER AT THE MOVIES (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Josh: 8 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Elisa: 8 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Sara: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Elisa snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Elisa had $10,000, Sara had $6,600, and Josh was at $3,200. Elisa made it a True Daily Double, wagering $10,000.

ANTHROPOLOGY $1200: Ruth Benedict's "The Chrysanthemum and the Sword" is a classic 1946 study of this country's culture
(Elisa: Let's make it a True Daily Double. Why not? [shrugs and laughs])

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Josh who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Elisa had $19,200, Sara had $8,200, and Josh was at $4,000. Josh wagered $3,500.

LITERARY QUOTES $1600: In this 1946 novel, Old Major says that "Man is the only creature that consumes without producing"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORLD HIGH & LOW POINTS $2000: High or low? In the 400s B.C. Sophron of Syracuse uses this as an art form, perhaps walking against the wind

WORLD HIGH & LOW POINTS $800: Low:
this crime began in Peru in 1931; the demand was for the pilot to fly around dropping leaflets

ANTHROPOLOGY $2000: From a single molar found in China in 1927, Davidson Black postulated on the existence of this early human
(Sara: What is the Neanderthal?)

STARTS WITH A 3-LETTER BODY PART $2000: An official representative of the pope
(Elisa: What is a cardinal?)
(Alex: "Car" is not a body part, except for me.)

STARTS WITH A 3-LETTER BODY PART $1600: Courage, guts, resourcefulness
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Elisa: $16,800
Josh: $13,100
Sara: $8,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. CITY FIRSTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Elisa: Wager $9,401 to cover Josh.
Josh: You'll want to wager $3,701, and you'll win the game if Elisa wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Sara: Think about risking $800, thereby beating Elisa on the Triple Stumper (should Elisa wager to cover Josh's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Among its firsts are underwater auto tunnel to a foreign country & corp. to net more than $1 billion in a single year

FINAL SCORES
Sara: $8,200 + $8,200 = $16,400 (What is Detroit?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Josh: $13,100 + $13,000 = $26,100 (What is Detroit?) (New champion: $26,100)
Elisa: $16,800 - $4,200 = $12,600 (What is Anchorage?) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: [revealing Elisa's response] Yes, that tunnel to Russia. Ah!)
(Elisa: Sarah Palin built it. [laughs])

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Josh: $11,200, 15 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Elisa: $8,000, 15 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Sara: $8,000, 15 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $27,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Josh: 16/59 = .271
Sara: 16/59 = .271
Elisa: 15/59 = .254
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MERE MEREDITHS $400: Meredith College is a women's college in this capital of "The Tar Heel State"
(Sara: What is North Carolina?)

MERE MEREDITHS $600: This 20th-century actor is seen here in one of his signature roles

MERE MEREDITHS $800: This former host of the "Today" show & "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" recently hosted a special on the life of Valerie Harper
(Alex: With less than a minute to go, you are right.)

BOOKS FOR BARTENDERS $200: "Tequila Mockingbird" , a book of literary cocktails, has a recipe called "Are You There, God? It's Me," this drink
(Elisa: What is Vodka?)

BOOKS FOR BARTENDERS $600: Perhaps your heart will grow fonder reading "The Little Green Book of" this spirit
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

PAINTERS $2000: (Alex reports from The Barnes Foundation in Philadelphia, PA.) Mont Sainte-Victoire dominates not only the landscape of Aix en Provence, but also the landscape paintings of this native son & Post-Impressionist, who devoted more than 30 canvases to it. It also appears in the background of many of his other works, as well

PAINTERS $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena, CA.) The exotic landscape meant to evoke the Mexican jungle is by this Primitive artist, who never actually left France, & began his self-taught training career in his 40s

ANTHROPOLOGY $1600: Polygamy can be divided into polygyny, having multiple wives, & this, having multiple husbands
(Josh: What is polygamy?)

LITERARY QUOTES $800: This Ayn Rand novel begins, "Howard Roark laughed"
(Elisa: What is Atlas Shrugged?)

LITERARY QUOTES $2000: In "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", she's called a "smiling, tender angel of mercy" --ironically
[NOTE: No applause for Josh's run of the category.]

BEFORE & AFTER AT THE MOVIES $400: Clark Gable & Claudette Colbert hitchhike across George Romero's original apocalypse
(Elisa: What is It Happened One Night?)
(Alex: No. You need more
than that.)

BEFORE & AFTER AT THE MOVIES $1200: "Wolverines!" shout the American teens who resist an invasion of Soviet primates
(Alex: Correct, with a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the diaphragm
18-49
Idaho
Kentucky
James Meredith
Japan
Animal Farm
mime
a skyjacking
Peking Man
a legate
gumption
Detroit
Raleigh
Burgess Meredith
Meredith Vieira
Margarita
Absinthe
Paul Cézanne
Henri Rousseau
polyandry
The Fountainhead
Nurse Ratched
It Happened One Night of the Living Dead
Red Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Mother! What a long, strange trip that was! Elisa's TDD was either pure hubris or brazen recklessness. The dynamic of the game was very strange. After Elisa's TDD, she remained clam for several minutes, while Josh suddenly dominated the game. My first thought was that his run of correct answers was going to make it impossible for Sara to get within half of Elisa, but he soon surpassed Sara, and with help from Elisa's wrong answers, got within half of her, preventing a runaway.

FJ was an instaget for me, as I think it also was for Detroiter Sara. (The questions are written without knowledge of who the contestants are, and the contestants are chosen without knowledge of what the questions are.)

I am not sad to see either Elisa or Sara go. Elisa is a non-excellent player who fumbles her way through the boards. At first I saw Sara as a no-nonsense intense player, kind of like Julia Collins without Julia's sweetness. But Sara had the tremendously annoying habit of being especially verbose in her selections. "Let's continue in the category of world high and low points for 1600 dollars, Alex." I think they'll both need the Aleve they won.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran High/Low, surprisingly. Got all but diaphragm in Silent G.

I didn't bother guessing on 18-49; first, I wasn't sure if 18 was the correct low end, and then after the two negs, I forgot that the clue spotted 31.

I thought "The Music Man" was undervalued at $200. Vieira was my precall and only get in that category, as I made the same Raleigh/NC misread mistake at $400.

Anthropology couldn't have been any more over my head if it tried. I can't believe that only one was a TS.

Other than that, my brain just completely shut down in DJ! I should've easily gotten things like Adam & Eve, Last Supper, Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, Fountainhead (would've needed the rebound after Atlas Shrugged was negged), Nurse Ratched, and It's a Wonderful Life of Brian, but I couldn't get a single one of them to my mouth in time.

Not a guess on FJ! "Tunnel to a foreign country… Chunnel? I can't think of a super huge corporation in the UK or France though. Oh wait, the category is US Cities. Um, where the hell would there be a tunnel to another country in the US? That doesn't make any sense!! We border only two countries, and they're both land borders!" 20 seconds in, my mom blurts out "What is Detroit?" and I feel like disappearing through the floor.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Step aside, guys... NORTH CAROLINA IS TAKING OVER THIS SHOW. 8-)

Shouldn't have happened, though. Painfully easy FJ... Elisa really should've won. Big-time choke, but I'm obviously not complaining!
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

It looked like Elisa would win again after going true DD and getting it, but unfortunately for her she missed FJ. I was 5/5 in States' High & Low Points. I precalled Meredith Vieira and James Meredith in the Meredith category. I was surprised that no one was able to figure out 18-to-49. (According to the fairly recent demographic poll on JBoard, the vast majority of boardies here are in this age group.) I got 30 clues correct including instant FJ.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

What an odd game, and congrats to Josh who managed to go from third and recover nicely with a very nice bet. He sort of had a Jonah Hill vibe about him, which was sweet.

I had to admire Elisa's pluck in making a true Daily Double... what guts! But her answer for FJ... Anchorage? But hey, she laughed it off. I'll miss her antics and sort of crazed amusement in playing "Jeopardy!"... almost like she didn't believe she was quite there.

FJ was an Instaget for me... funny that there's been a run of easy FJs (at least for me) after that Swan Song disaster.

Good luck Josh!
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
billiej

Post by billiej »

Another obvious FJ. Got the rebound on 18-49 (wasn't sure of the starting point, but once someone said 18, it made sense so I just [gasp!!] did the math).

So I guess this means next year advertisers won't give a crap about me anymore. :roll:
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I knew that Chrysanthemum and Sword DD through the episode of Mad Men of the same name.

Lach Trash: Idaho, Kentucky, James Meredith, Peking Man.

Got FJ, took about 5 seconds, but got it, as a west coast person had to think of the CA and WA borders first.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

floridagator wrote: But Sara had the tremendously annoying habit of being especially verbose in her selections. "Let's continue in the category of world high and low points for 1600 dollars, Alex."
Spot on. As much as I hate to root against someone.....
She would have been a lock for the win had she been in 1st place at the end of DJ, with that easy peasy for anyone from Michigan FJ clue. Most of us didn't even need the second half of the clue.

I bet there will be a lot of lach trash picked up on Idaho and skyjacking.

Alex couldn't resist that little jab: "You guys aren't very good at math."
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Got Detroit almost instantly during FJ, and then survived nearly talking myself into Seattle. An underwater tunnel across the Puget Sound would certainly be an engineering marvel!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

U.S. City Firsts
Among its firsts are underwater auto tunnel to a foreign country & corporation to net more than $1 billion in a single year.

Spoiler
What is Detroit? Elisa said Anchorage.

Elisa Korb: $16,800-$4,200=$12,600
Josh Hager: $13,100+$13,000=$26,100...now a 1-day champion with $26,100
Sarah Goodman: $8,200+$8,200=$16,400
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

Is there a term for missing a FJ that should have been an instaget?
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

evanakm wrote:Is there a term for missing a FJ that should have been an instaget?

You TPH'd it?
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:
evanakm wrote:Is there a term for missing a FJ that should have been an instaget?

You TPH'd it?

No, TPHing is clamming a FJ.

Did anyone else hear Nurse Ratchet instead of Nurse Ratched?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

How can someone be a descendant of John Wilkes Booth? He died childless.

I liked her gutsy DD bet, he FJ bet not so much. She still loses even if she gets it right. She even let third place back in the game. In that spot, if you really hate the category, bet zero so you only need one person to get it wrong to win the game.

I started with the Chunnel and wasn't sure where it began and what business could possibly be there. Then I remembered the category and Detroit was a fairly quick solve.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:How can someone be a descendant of John Wilkes Booth? He died childless.
So much for my having learned something. My reaction to that interview was "John Wilkes Booth had children?!? You learn something new every day!"

Maybe he posthumously adopted...

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

The world low & high was definitely a low for me. I believe they started with 2000 clue and it made little sense.
Surprised at the TDD.for a change someone showed some game knowledge and made a game of what seemed like a runaway.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Why bother with "Firsts" and the bit about the company? Is there any other underwater tunnel from the US to a foreign country? It doesn't seem like there's one near Buffalo/Niagara, and that would really be the only other likely spot.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote: I liked her gutsy DD bet, her FJ bet not so much. She still loses even if she gets it right. She even let third place back in the game.
In that spot, if you really hate the category, bet zero so you only need one person to get it wrong to win the game.
She could have safely bet $399 and needed only one person to get it wrong.

I hadn't noticed her failure to cover 2nd place.....too busy watching her assorted facial expressions after missing the clue.
Had to know she wasn't going to be champion for very long.