Tuesday, October 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Charming
Valued Contributor

Re: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Charming »

I think to prepare to appear on the show these days a potential contestant would need to spend as much time watching HBO, Showtime, AMC etc. as they used to spend studying Shakespeare. :shock:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Charming wrote:I think to prepare to appear on the show these days a potential contestant would need to spend as much time watching HBO, Showtime, AMC etc. as they used to spend studying Shakespeare. :shock:
Not really. If you've seen the comments directed TenPoundHammer's way, you don't have to have experienced something to be good at it. I haven't watched any/much of Breaking Bad, Mad Men, HIMYM, Walking Dead, etc., yet I do all right when they come up on the show. Why? First off because I pay attention to the world around me (see my .signature) and picking up bits and pieces gets me to know enough for a Jeopardy! question on the subject. I would fail horribly at an all-HIMYM quiz because that's more specialized, but J! questions are usually on the generalist side. Which leads into the second thing (if it hasn't already stated it outright), you don't need to be an expert in the topic, so you don't need to immerse yourself in the show to know everything about it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

dhkendall wrote:
Charming wrote:I think to prepare to appear on the show these days a potential contestant would need to spend as much time watching HBO, Showtime, AMC etc. as they used to spend studying Shakespeare. :shock:
Not really. If you've seen the comments directed TenPoundHammer's way, you don't have to have experienced something to be good at it. I haven't watched any/much of Breaking Bad, Mad Men, HIMYM, Walking Dead, etc., yet I do all right when they come up on the show. Why? First off because I pay attention to the world around me (see my .signature) and picking up bits and pieces gets me to know enough for a Jeopardy! question on the subject. I would fail horribly at an all-HIMYM quiz because that's more specialized, but J! questions are usually on the generalist side. Which leads into the second thing (if it hasn't already stated it outright), you don't need to be an expert in the topic, so you don't need to immerse yourself in the show to know everything about it.
Didn't mean expert, just as no one is expected to be an expert in Shakespeare, just spend time becoming familiar with "current" pop culture.

My response was half tongue in cheek, but I think Jeopardy has always had a good number of pop culture topics, the problem with many of us, our pop culture is now covered under Ancient History.

However, I do think the board was pretty easy. I was surprised at what were the TS's.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Charming wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Didn't mean expert, just as no one is expected to be an expert in Shakespeare, just spend time becoming familiar with "current" pop culture.
And the best way to learn about current TV and movies is to read the arts pages of a good newspaper. (Probably the Huffington Post works just as well, I don't know.) These programs show up on Jeopardy, not because the writers are checking the Nielsen report, but because they are widely written about in the media...
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Charming wrote:Didn't mean expert, just as no one is expected to be an expert in Shakespeare, just spend time becoming familiar with "current" pop culture.
J! has been known to ask about obscure Shakespearean characters in the high-value clues. It's unlikely, IMO, that they'd have a clue about, say, Tuco Salamanca. If you're going to dig, I'd become more of an "expert" in Shakespeare than in Breaking Bad.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Vermonter wrote:
Charming wrote:Didn't mean expert, just as no one is expected to be an expert in Shakespeare, just spend time becoming familiar with "current" pop culture.
J! has been known to ask about obscure Shakespearean characters in the high-value clues. It's unlikely, IMO, that they'd have a clue about, say, Tuco Salamanca. If you're going to dig, I'd become more of an "expert" in Shakespeare than in Breaking Bad.

There's an idea. Shakespeare or Breaking Bad?

Andrea Cantillo
Bogdan Wolynetz
Cathness
Don Adriano de Armado
Don Eladio Vuente
Emilio Koyama
Froth
Huell Babineaux
Juan Bolsa
Nerissa
Old Gobbo
Owen Glendower
Skinny Pete
Willoughby
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: There's an idea. Shakespeare or Breaking Bad?

Andrea Cantillo
Bogdan Wolynetz
Cathness
Don Adriano de Armado
Don Eladio Vuente
Emilio Koyama
Froth
Huell Babineaux
Juan Bolsa
Nerissa
Old Gobbo
Owen Glendower
Skinny Pete
Willoughby
Quick guess:
Spoiler
BBSSBBSBBBSSBS
And, Mark, that'd be a great Sporcle quiz! I'd make it myself (I've been itching to actually make a quiz there), but I really don't want to steal your idea, I want you to have all the credit.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:
Quick guess:
Spoiler
BBSSBBSBBBSSBS
And, Mark, that'd be a great Sporcle quiz! I'd make it myself (I've been itching to actually make a quiz there), but I really don't want to steal your idea, I want you to have all the credit.
Anything I post here is up for grabs and it's fine to do with it what you wish. I don't need any credit, but if you want to make it a three-headed animal by adding Jeopardy! champs then that is a way to throw me nod.

The answers:
Spoiler
Breaking Bad
Emilio Koyama
Don Eladio Vuente
Skinny Pete
Huell Babineaux
Bogdan Wolynetz
Juan Bolsa
Andrea Cantillo

Shakespeare
Don Adriano de Armado