Tuesday, October 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AMERICAN WAR HEROES (0/0)
STRAITS (0/0)
A VERY "GRAPHIC" CATEGORY (0/0)
LEAD SINGER OF THE BAND (0/0)
SHORT STORIES (0/0)
ORDINAL NUMBER PHRASES (0/0)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Terri: 0 R, 0 W
Brendan: 0 R, 0 W
Carol: 0 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 0
Triple Stumpers: 0
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Terri: $4,200 (lock game)
Carol: $1,600
Brendan: $600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAUXBITUARIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Terri: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Carol: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $399 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Brendan: You've no hope of catching up... unless Carol does something stupid. So risk $599.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He received a real obituary in the Albuquerque Journal last year nothing his "...long battle with lung cancer"

FINAL SCORES
Brendan: $600 - $4,200 = $-4,200 (WHO IS MARK TWAIN?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Carol: $1,600 - $100 = $-100 (Who is ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Terri: $4,200 + $2,000 = $2,000 (Who is Walter White?) (2-day champion: $25,601)
(Alex [after reading Terri's response]: [*], yes, from the movie Breaking Bad.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Terri: $4,200, 8 R, 0 W
Carol: $1,600, 2 R, 0 W
Brendan: $600, 4 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $6,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Terri: 9/58 = .155
Brendan: 4/58 = .069
Carol: 2/58 = .034
Team: 15/63 = .238

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MEN OF FEW WORDS $600: Completes the words in the King James Version of Matthew's gospel, "For many are called, but..."
(Brendan: What is "for".."[*]"?)
(Alex: Oh, yes. You had to work that over in your mind once or twice.
[Laughs]
But you did it in time. Go again.)

MEN OF FEW WORDS $800: In a sci-fi film these 2 men (well, a man & a 1/2 man) combine to say "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"
(Brendan: What is Star Trek?)
(Alex: [*], yes. The clue referred to the men, not the series.

CORRECT RESPONSES
Babette
Walter White
"few are chosen"
Kirk and Spock
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Fauxbituaries
He received a real obituary in the Albuquerque Journal in 2013 noting his "long battle with lung cancer".

Spoiler
Who is Walter White? Carol had no guess; Brendan said Mark Twain.

Terri Pous: $11,200+$2,000=$13,200...now a 2-day champion with $36,801
Brendan McParland: $4,200-$4,200=$0
Carol McGhee: $3,600-$3,500=$100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

What a remarkably different game from yesterday. Today Terri seemed to do everything right. There were no qualms about her wagering because 1) she got no DDs and 2) her FJ bet was completely irrelevant.

Interestingly, the game was very tight until the last category, War Heroes, when Brad goofed on the $2000 clue (first one read) and then Terri got it right. That suddenly added $4000 to her lead over Brad.

I was clueless on FJ. I notice that there has been an increasing emphasis on popular culture of late, even as popular culture gets more specialized and less general. (Which is to say, time was the most popular shows enjoyed a huge audience, whereas today, even the top hit has a much smaller audience.)

According to Terri, Glenn's return to space (10/29/98) happened when she was in 2nd grade, meaning she graduated high school in 2009. Rather young, she is!
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No way I was getting this. I have never watched that show. Went with the Marlboro Man and actually felt good about it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:No way I was getting this. I have never watched that show. Went with the Marlboro Man and actually felt good about it.
Exactly the same here. Was quite pleased with my choice, but, upon reveal, it all came together for me (I remember hearing about the real obit for White.) I have watched a couple episodes of the show when I was staying over at my sister's a year or so ago (she has Netflix) - I even remember posting to Jboard when I saw that one episode had J! playing in the background!

Moral of this game: get your straits straight. (Cute that *both* unsuccessful guesses to a clue were the actual answers to the next two - I've only seen that happen before with one.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Leander

Post by Leander »

Unlike last week's TV FJ, I wonder how many who have not watched the show will get this. The clue seems to require pretty detailed knowledge of the show in order to even make the leap to a TV show character.

As someone who saw every episode, this was a no-brainer for me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

floridagator wrote: I was clueless on FJ. I notice that there has been an increasing emphasis on popular culture of late, even as popular culture gets more specialized and less general. (Which is to say, time was the most popular shows enjoyed a huge audience, whereas today, even the top hit has a much smaller audience.)
Look at it this way. In 1974 we had three networks. Let's say each night they averaged two 30 minute sitcoms a night and two hour long dramas. That's 12 shows a night and 84 for the week. That's probably not the exact number, but it probably isn't much more than 100 prime time shows airing a week. At any given time, you only had three programs to choose from. So even if you weren't a huge fan of All in the Family, you may have watched it because nothing else better was on at the time. And you certainly would have heard of Archie Bunker.

Now we have five networks and dozens of cable channels to choose from at a time. It is impossible to watch everything. Back then, in a three week span, you could have seen one episode of everything on TV. With so many viewing options, that can't happen today. So it is harder to know much about any one particular show, making it a better target for a trivia game.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Leander wrote:Unlike last week's TV FJ, I wonder how many who have not watched the show will get this. The clue seems to require pretty detailed knowledge of the show in order to even make the leap to a TV show character.
I know just enough about the show (the main character's name and affliction, the show's setting, and that the show ended last year presumably with the character's death) to have gotten it. (That's not literally everything I know about the show, but is representative of my depth of knowledge, aside from a trivia bit I picked up when it came up on FJ! last season.) I'm not even sure where I picked up the character's name.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Got the FJ (though have never seen an episode of that show since I don't have cable or satellite) because of all the hoopla surrounding the "legend" & the final episode. More familiar with the tight end of the KC Chiefs who had the same name back in the late '70s-early '80s. 8-)
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

never mind
Last edited by koam on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How was "nectar" a TS? I got that along with Strait of Magellan and oceanographic.

Brendan seemed to have a nasty habit of misreading the clues. I swear he did it about five times.

Ran "Ist".

Blanked on "attic" at $200; no clue whatsoever on the other rooms.

$200 and $600 are the only of those movies that I've heard of, and I think I only learned of either from TV Tropes.

Asia was an obvious one that I choked on.

Got everything but $2,000 in "Graphic", with "Graphic novel" as a precall.

3/5 in Lead Singers. Saw "Rob Thomas" and my mind went "UB40… no, that's not quite right, it's something like it." Only one I outright had no idea on was Doobie Brothers (barely heard of them and don't recognize any of their song titles).

Bartleby was a bit tough for $400 IMO.

Was anyone else totally confused by this FJ!? I thought "fauxbituary" meant "obit on someone who's not actually dead yet", and then when the clue said nothing to that effect — that the obit was very much real — I was completely lost without a clue about what to guess, nor even any idea what the TOM was. Maybe some hint that you know, they wanted a FICTIONAL CHARACTER would've tipped me off...
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Never seen the show but I got it pretty quickly. Fake obituary + New Mexico + cancer + 2013, that's 4 clues, plenty if you pay any attention to entertainment.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Instaget FJ. It's one of the greatest series ever made and I loved it.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was a great game for Terri. She pulled away for a runaway after being neck-and-neck with the other two contestants. During the first commercial break, I changed the channel to a rerun of M*A*S*H. I heard the character Frank Burns say the same Churchill quote that was on Jeopardy! just a minute or so earlier! What a coincidence! I got 32 clues correct including dive and Oceanographic, but not FJ. I've never watched Breaking Bad.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Band lead Singers for $1600 had Michael Mcdonald as lead singer of the Doobies for most of the 80s and 90s. His tenure with the band was 1975-82 or so. They broke up around 1982, came back in the late 80s without McDonald(first album of the reunion came out in 1989). Michael McD has been an occasional guest on their concert, but really hasn't been a touring member of the Doobies since their 1982 breakup.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Bamaman wrote:
floridagator wrote: I was clueless on FJ. I notice that there has been an increasing emphasis on popular culture of late, even as popular culture gets more specialized and less general. (Which is to say, time was the most popular shows enjoyed a huge audience, whereas today, even the top hit has a much smaller audience.)
Look at it this way. In 1974 we had three networks. Let's say each night they averaged two 30 minute sitcoms a night and two hour long dramas. That's 12 shows a night and 84 for the week. That's probably not the exact number, but it probably isn't much more than 100 prime time shows airing a week. At any given time, you only had three programs to choose from. So even if you weren't a huge fan of All in the Family, you may have watched it because nothing else better was on at the time. And you certainly would have heard of Archie Bunker.

Now we have five networks and dozens of cable channels to choose from at a time. It is impossible to watch everything. Back then, in a three week span, you could have seen one episode of everything on TV. With so many viewing options, that can't happen today. So it is harder to know much about any one particular show, making it a better target for a trivia game.
Sure, but, how many shows have dominated the Emmys every season they were on?
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Hmmm, I would think that if one central character from an AMC drama should die from lung cancer it would be Don Draper. ;)

I went with the Marlboro Man, hung up on lung cancer, just wasn't thinking TV shows.

Lach Trash: oceanographic, Straits of Magellan, (one other one I mis-wrote).
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Clever, clever FJ. There have been a couple of stinkos lately, but this one was very nicely done. I've only seen a few episodes, but the Albuquerque connection clicked once I went back to the category name. Kudos to the writers.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

I found J round unusually hard. Anyone else?

Quite a turnaround in the last category.

watched every episode of BB (some more than once) . Brilliant show. ..obviously a piece of cake FJ.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!