SHC Round 6 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: SHC Round 6 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by gnash »

NJCondon wrote:Bacchus or Dionysus? Or are both acceptable? (I answered everything else, I think, in the Greek tradition, but somehow ended up in Rome for that one.)
I'd say no because the category was "Olympians" which is specifically Greek. But DoT may be more lenient.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:
alamble wrote:
TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:Still trying to figure out where the politician fits in on John Deere/Dear John -- almost put Edwards in, as someone who should have recieved one (but, as far as I know, or care to know, did not).

And dhkendall -- the new Winnipeg sweaters and logos look fantastic -- but why didn't the NHL reshuffle it's divisions? Winnipeg in the Southeast is bizarre. Put them in the Northwest, Nashville in the Southeast and Minnesota goes back to the Central -- or, as a certain sportscaster is fond of saying , the "always humorous Norris Division."
As a former Atlanta Thrasher employee, I can explain this - the move happened too late to accommodate such a major restructuring in time for the 2011-2012 season. The teams will be re-aligned next summer, though I think it's more likely that Detroit will move to the Eastern Conference rather than Nashville - the Preds are in the Central division simply because they're in the Central Time Zone.
Never good to hear about someone losing their job like that, alamble -- I don't know all the particulars about the Thrashers' move, but long-time members of both these boards know how I feel about teams being yanked away from supportive fan bases. Atlanta may have been, like Cleveland, caught in the business of old crimes coming back to haunt totally unintended victims. It's almost Aeschylean with the way we invest emotion in this stuff.

It'd be wrong-headed -- which means the NHL would do it -- to put Columbus or Detroit in the East simply because of time zones. Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Missouri and Minnesota make a nice tight little group, as would Tennessee, DC, Florida and Carolina.
I do not begrudge dhkendall and the folks of Winnipeg the opportunity to have an NHL team again, I just wish it had been the original Jets moving back home. There are many, many reasons why the Thrashers' sale and relocation are disheartening, none of which are appropriate to discuss here. Suffice it to say that the fans got screwed by a number of different entities, not least of which are the league and the former ownership. Anyway, to the point of Detroit moving to the East - that's where four of the Original Six teams are, and the Red Wings have pressed for quite some time to have those games back.
NJCondon wrote:Bacchus or Dionysus? Or are both acceptable? (I answered everything else, I think, in the Greek tradition, but somehow ended up in Rome for that one.)
I'm with gnash on this one - the Olympians are specifically Greek so Bacchus is a no-go.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I agree. I think most players will Bacchus on that.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote:Thanks, DoT for once again bringing my favourite category in the SHC ("You Are The Category"). Despite not having a chance of ever appearing in it, I was getting worried I wouldn't see it for a minute there.
I had to change my name to make it in the category.

(Thanks for the shout out, Dad!
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

gnash wrote:
I'd say no because the category was "Olympians" which is specifically Greek. But DoT may be more lenient.
from http://www.theoi.com:

ENCYCLOPEDIA

DIONYSOS, the youthful, beautiful, but effeminate god of wine. He is also called both by Greeks and Romans Bacchus (Bakchos), that is, the noisy or riotous god, which was originally a mere epithet or surname of Dionysus, but does not occur till after the time of Herodotus.

I answered Dionysus, but I believe that Bacchus is also correct (see above).
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

Bless you, Peggles.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alamble wrote:I do not begrudge dhkendall and the folks of Winnipeg the opportunity to have an NHL team again, I just wish it had been the original Jets moving back home.
To be fair, I'm not much of a hockey fan (or a fan of any sport), maybe a casual fan at best, but I didn't care if we had a team or not (though I am glad in several respects that we do).

And, alamble, the sentiment here is that our first choice was to have the original Jets back as well (there's occasional outrage int he local papers that the Coyotes are still the holders of all the old Jet records), but now that we have the Jets, *any* Jets (especially under that name, though there are still those who insist it shouldn't be that name if it's not THE Jets) people are complaining less about that.

I am wondering, alamble, you as a former Thrashers employee, and me with a huge sports-shaped hole in my knowledge base, how much of a hockey town was (is) Atlanta? Were the Thrashers quite popular? Did they have a lot of sell-out games? (Again, not following much sports, I have no idea).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:I am wondering, alamble, you as a former Thrashers employee, and me with a huge sports-shaped hole in my knowledge base, how much of a hockey town was (is) Atlanta? Were the Thrashers quite popular? Did they have a lot of sell-out games? (Again, not following much sports, I have no idea).
http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/yea ... rt/homePct

Pretty much says it all (they're listed as Winnipeg).
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I am wondering, alamble, you as a former Thrashers employee, and me with a huge sports-shaped hole in my knowledge base, how much of a hockey town was (is) Atlanta? Were the Thrashers quite popular? Did they have a lot of sell-out games? (Again, not following much sports, I have no idea).
http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/yea ... rt/homePct

Pretty much says it all (they're listed as Winnipeg).
It really doesn't, actually. Atlanta's a growth market for hockey. Lots of northerners who grew up with the game have relocated here. Neither the Thrashers nor the Flames got a realistic shot at solidifying their places within the sports landscape - the Flames due almost entirely to ownership issues; the Thrashers had some off-the-ice issues that were out of management's control, in addition to the work stoppage that wiped out the entire 2004-2005 season. Atlanta sports fans aren't stupid, but neither are they, as a general rule, blindly loyal, at least not to the local pro teams. When the team put a consistently good product on the ice, people showed up. Unfortunately, due to blatant disinterest on the part of ownership, that didn't happen nearly often enough. Which left the fan base in a bit of a catch-22: continue to support a mediocre-to-crappy product, thereby encouraging more of the same, or voice displeasure with their wallets and get labeled bandwagon jumpers? (or worse) The staff (and I do not necessarily count myself in that number, as I worked part-time) deserved better, the players deserved better, and the fan base most definitely deserved better, but they were all let down by incompetent ownership and a league that ignored its own damn bylaws in order to get rid of said ownership. Feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss further, because I don't want to clutter up this thread by going further off topic.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

I know that Euripides' play was called The Bacchae, not The Maenads, so it would follow that Bacchus had some Greek usage, even if Dionysos was preferred. From the information Peggles gave, it sounds like this is a case where the less-palatable aspect of the god was given his own aspect, as opposed to the patron of theatre, the more kindly Dionysos.

Long story short? Our board's Bacchae sound like they're on OK ground.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

As someone with celiac disease (the one where we can't eat gluten) I can tell you that gluten-free flour is not wheat with the protein removed, though gluten is a major protein present in wheat. So far it is not possible to totally remove the gluten from the wheat, so it is not an option for people with celiac disease. Gluten-free flours are made from naturally gluten-free grains and seeds (corn, rice, buckwheat, tapioca, to name a few).
(Just background info. Even if I'd realized gluten-free flour was the first half, I'd never have come up with Flower Drum Song on my own, though I do recognize it vaguely.)
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Peggles wrote:
gnash wrote:
from http://www.theoi.com:

ENCYCLOPEDIA

DIONYSOS, the youthful, beautiful, but effeminate god of wine. He is also called both by Greeks and Romans Bacchus (Bakchos), that is, the noisy or riotous god, which was originally a mere epithet or surname of Dionysus, but does not occur till after the time of Herodotus.

I answered Dionysus, but I believe that Bacchus is also correct (see above).
Nice find. Turns out that Romans adopted a Greek name in this case. I didn't know that, although I should have figured it out long ago - (almost?) all Latin words that contain "ch" are of Greek origin.

Then, obviously, Bacchus should be acceptable.