SHC Round 6 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

SHC Round 6 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by DadofTwins »

Have at it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: SHC Round 6 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

I broke my ten second rule for Liberia but I'll be damned if I let a category like that go entirely unanswered :lol:
Much of that time was spent contemplating, "Did Mali change their capital?"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I got Namibia on the Liberia one and could not recall the capital. Working on the extra letters of course got me nowhere near Windhoek, so I threw in the towel. It's seems so easy after looking at the responses of all those ahead of me who got it. With no time limit I should have kept at it to go for the perfecto. Great set of clues today.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I have a feeling that today will set a record for perfectos.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

MarkBarrett wrote:I got Namibia on the Liberia one and could not recall the capital. Working on the extra letters of course got me nowhere near Windhoek, so I threw in the towel. It's seems so easy after looking at the responses of all those ahead of me who got it. With no time limit I should have kept at it to go for the perfecto. Great set of clues today.
I spent a while trying to work something out for Namibia before the light finally came on.
oddsox
Valued Contributor

Post by oddsox »

MarkBarrett wrote:I got Namibia on the Liberia one and could not recall the capital. Working on the extra letters of course got me nowhere near Windhoek, so I threw in the towel. It's seems so easy after looking at the responses of all those ahead of me who got it. With no time limit I should have kept at it to go for the perfecto. Great set of clues today.
Me too.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Hrm, I wouldn't have considered Namibia 'west Africa'.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,
Volante wrote: I broke my ten second rule for Liberia but I'll be damned if I let a category like that go entirely unanswered :lol:
In my drug induced haze, I've been sticking to a 2 second rule. Thinking hurts my head and makes my answers worse. But at least I get to sleep 16-18 hours a day (and the cats love it). :)

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote:I have a feeling that today will set a record for perfectos.
My thoughts perzackly. And nothing in the early responses dissuades me of that notion.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I had to go through almost every Asian nation before I finally got to Pakistan. The other anagrams were all instant gets.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

DadofTwins wrote:WHIRLED CAPITALS

(Capital and country, please)

3: In northern Europe: INHALE KILN FINDS
I'll be there in four weeks! Also staying in MOST HECKLED SNOW and SO WARY LOON. Hopefully, we get in a side trip to SLANT IN TOENAIL.

Just couldn't come up with Cranium. I'm not familiar with that game. Glad to see I wasn't the only one.
OCSam
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
I spent a while trying to work something out for Namibia before the light finally came on.
Rio Lover, Namibia.

Going off that, I think there could be a category of country-and-capital anagrams where another country on the same continent is in the jumbled phrase. "Paramaribo, Suriname" has "Peru" in it, for example. And maybe we don't have to limit ourselves to continents! "VIVA, PLOT AT NAURU"
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

ALSO A BOARD GAME
8: Medical term for the 21 bones of the skull fused together with sutures.

OK, I'll admit I didn't come up with Cranium. I was unfamiliar with the use of 'suture' to mean a rigid joint. My guess, Operation, gave me pause as I typed it in, because it didn't seem specifically tied to the clue. Nevertheless, I went with it, figuring the only sticking point might be that it could be considered a non-board game. A quick Google of "Operation board game" shows that it is considered a board game. Wouldn't the suturing (in the sense of surgical sewing) together of the bones of the skull be an operation?
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Spellin Counts

Post by tagNV »

I don't normally make snarky comments about peoples' solutions...but I find it deliciously ironic the letter gnash left out of one of his Whirled Capitals is the most significant one in his gnickgname.

I'm about to get smack-talked, aren't I?
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Re: Spellin Counts

Post by bengland »

tagNV wrote: I'm about to get smack-talked, aren't I?
Not from me, bro (sis?).
teapot37

Re: Spellin Counts

Post by teapot37 »

bengland wrote:
tagNV wrote: I'm about to get smack-talked, aren't I?
Not from me, bro (sis?).
Todd's a he.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:I have a feeling that today will set a record for perfectos.
Indeed, I think I got one for the first time ever! (If you call all 10 questions, rather than all 5 of a round, a "perfecto" (I call all 10 a "super perfecto")) At least I didn't clam any and I'm fairly confident in all my answers ...
cinemaniax7 wrote:I spent a while trying to work something out for Namibia before the light finally came on.
Too bad 3318mead isn't around, Nabibia, I mean Namibia, is his nemesis. :)
Volante wrote:Hrm, I wouldn't have considered Namibia 'west Africa'.
Nor would I, Namibia is definitely "south Africa". "West Africa" is usually restricted to the bumpy-out part that's quite obvious (ie the part that contains Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Niger, Burkina Faso, Mali, Mauritania, Western Sahara, Senegal, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Sierra Leona, Liberia, Cote d'Ivoire, Ghana, Benin, Togo, and Nigeria. (I don't think that prominent feature of Africa has another name other than "west Africa"))

(ETA: here)
StevenH wrote:I had to go through almost every Asian nation before I finally got to Pakistan. The other anagrams were all instant gets.
Same. Was damned if I was going to let a super-perfecto slip out of my hands on a bleeding geography question ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Asphodel
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Asphodel »

Well, I suppose you all think you're so special because you can spell "Ouagadougou"... :D Seriously, I thought everyone would be as far off as I was. I'm guessing at least a few mastered the spelling thanks to a Sporcle African capitals quiz...
Volante

Post by Volante »

Asphodel wrote:Well, I suppose you all think you're so special because you can spell "Ouagadougou"... :D Seriously, I thought everyone would be as far off as I was. I'm guessing at least a few mastered the spelling thanks to a Sporcle African capitals quiz...
It's not just fun to spell, it's really fun to say!
And it can make for really hilarious sly jokes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otGO0a7OPtg
Spoiler
The ramen ship's registration. Also, Burkina Faso's landlocked.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Asphodel wrote:Well, I suppose you all think you're so special because you can spell "Ouagadougou"... :D Seriously, I thought everyone would be as far off as I was. I'm guessing at least a few mastered the spelling thanks to a Sporcle African capitals quiz...
It's all about the Sporcle. :D
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"