SHC Round 6 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: SHC Round 6 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by boson »

dhkendall wrote: Are there any truly awesome capital cities that AREN'T in Africa?
Hey - Ottawa on the Ottawa River/Rivière des Outaouais is a truly awesome capital city. If we had taken the french spelling for the city it might have rivaled Ougadougou for vowels.

Thanks DoT for the hometown shout-out! Wish it was a 15 pointer, but I'll take the 2.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

boson wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Are there any truly awesome capital cities that AREN'T in Africa?
Hey - Ottawa on the Ottawa River/Rivière des Outaouais is a truly awesome capital city. If we had taken the french spelling for the city it might have rivaled Ougadougou for vowels.

Thanks DoT for the hometown shout-out! Wish it was a 15 pointer, but I'll take the 2.
But you pronounce all of Ouagadougou... With Outaouais, you'd say, what... "Oot"? "Ootay"?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I was always fond of Togo and Dahomey when I was kid. No idea what the attraction was.

As for Okinawa, that is the home of Hattori Hanzo. So yeah, I'm going to get that one.
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

alietr wrote:I was always fond of Togo and Dahomey when I was kid. No idea what the attraction was.

As for Okinawa, that is the home of Hattori Hanzo. So yeah, I'm going to get that one.
I always liked Dahomey because it reminded me of my homies.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Volante wrote: But you pronounce all of Ouagadougou... With Outaouais, you'd say, what... "Oot"? "Ootay"?
It is pronounced "oot ow weh".
demomoke
Three-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by demomoke »

dhkendall wrote:Nor would I, Namibia is definitely "south Africa". "West Africa" is usually restricted to the bumpy-out part that's quite obvious (ie the part that contains Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Niger, Burkina Faso, Mali, Mauritania, Western Sahara, Senegal, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Sierra Leona, Liberia, Cote d'Ivoire, Ghana, Benin, Togo, and Nigeria. (I don't think that prominent feature of Africa has another name other than "west Africa"))
This has always been a pet peeve of mine, and it has nothing to do with dhkendall. Why do we of the Anglosphere believe we should bow to the linguistic preferences of others when it comes to place names? English is the most widely-spoken language on Earth for a reason (yes, "widely spoken" is different from "most commonly spoken"; anyone who thinks Chinese is more influential than English worldwide is high). The country in bold above is correctly named (the) Ivory Coast in proper English. As far as I know, anglophones are the only people on Earth who feel the need to do this. "Mumbai," "Kolkata," "Chennai?" Nope, they will always be Bombay, Calcutta, and Madras to me.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

demomoke wrote: "Mumbai," "Kolkata," "Chennai?" Nope, they will always be Bombay, Calcutta, and Madras to me.
What about Constantinople?
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,
alietr wrote: What about Constantinople?
You did mean Byzantium, didn't you?

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote:
demomoke wrote: "Mumbai," "Kolkata," "Chennai?" Nope, they will always be Bombay, Calcutta, and Madras to me.
The obligatory riposte.
Ivan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Ivan »

For me personally the biggest suprise from geography lessons was to find out that actually Sri-Jayawardenapura-Kotte, not Colombo is the capital of Sri Lanka. Luckily, teachers were merciful to us and do not insisted to memorising the former.
OldSchoolChamp

Can’t you read?

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

boson wrote:
Volante wrote: But you pronounce all of Ouagadougou... With Outaouais, you'd say, what... "Oot"? "Ootay"?
Just like it’s spelled!

—Le Champion à la Vieille École

We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

demomoke wrote:This has always been a pet peeve of mine, and it has nothing to do with dhkendall. Why do we of the Anglosphere believe we should bow to the linguistic preferences of others when it comes to place names? English is the most widely-spoken language on Earth for a reason (yes, "widely spoken" is different from "most commonly spoken"; anyone who thinks Chinese is more influential than English worldwide is high). The country in bold above is correctly named (the) Ivory Coast in proper English. As far as I know, anglophones are the only people on Earth who feel the need to do this. "Mumbai," "Kolkata," "Chennai?" Nope, they will always be Bombay, Calcutta, and Madras to me.
If you changed your name you'd expect people to call you by it.
OldSchoolChamp

Further re: Can’t you read?

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

Seriously, it’s not that mystifying once you recognize that ou in French can serve as either a vowel (“oo”) or a consonant (“w”). Once you make those mental substitutions, you’ll have no trouble reading Ootaway or Wagadoogoo.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

boson wrote:
French joke, in that 80% of all vowels in a French word go unpronounced. :D
(I really should give up on that one...every time I use it it lands like thrown banana...)
alietr wrote:
It depends what you first really learn it as. It's been Istanbul for quite a while now.
Uluru? Nope, Ayers Rock. Denali? Mount McKinley. (And, frankly, I wish Zaire never changed...at least that kept the two separate. Maybe we need to make them go with East Congo and West Congo...)

And then there's Myanmar/Burma...nuts to that one.

In general, if someone changes their name, you (try to) call them by the new name. Don't see why we should deny that to cities and countries as well.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BoK

Post by BoK »

demomoke wrote: This has always been a pet peeve of mine, and it has nothing to do with dhkendall. Why do we of the Anglosphere believe we should bow to the linguistic preferences of others when it comes to place names? English is the most widely-spoken language on Earth for a reason (yes, "widely spoken" is different from "most commonly spoken"; anyone who thinks Chinese is more influential than English worldwide is high). The country in bold above is correctly named (the) Ivory Coast in proper English. As far as I know, anglophones are the only people on Earth who feel the need to do this. "Mumbai," "Kolkata," "Chennai?" Nope, they will always be Bombay, Calcutta, and Madras to me.
Do you call it Rich Coast or Costa Rica?
OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

demomoke wrote:Why do we of the Anglosphere believe we should bow to the linguistic preferences of others when it comes to place names?....The country in bold above is correctly named (the) Ivory Coast in proper English. As far as I know, anglophones are the only people on Earth who feel the need to do this.
Taking the rest of this discussion over to Pet Intellectual Peeves, where it belongs. Anyone interested in continuing the conversation, follow me there.

—OSC

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ask for the character and I name the play. When will I ever learn to RTFQ.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

So what was the correct answer for the 4 pt Q? Football seems to use a pealess whistle, too, as does ice hockey and soccer. So was DoT really looking for rugby as the correct answer?
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

Enjoyed that bosun question! The first ship I was on actually used the bosun's whistle before all announcements on the 1MC, but the second ship didn't (considered it sort of declasse, I think). I know the seamen all groaned at the sweepers call, though, even years later.
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

The Canadian whistle question (especially the distinctive pitch) was a reference to this:

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage-FFW.html

Still reviewing rugby whistles. Comments welcome.