Darren Millam, 1-time champ who was brought back 2000/2001

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Darren Millam, 1-time champ who was brought back 2000/2001

Post by Robert K S »

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=4192

Did Alex provide any explanation as to why 1-time champ Darren Millam returned?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Darren Millam, 1-time champ who was brought back 2000/2001

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote:http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=4192

Did Alex provide any explanation as to why 1-time champ Darren Millam returned?
I don't know, but I'm guessing it had to do with the $500 clue in FAST CARS. They showed a picture of a car and Alex asked for the make and model. Darren rang in with Porsche 911 and was negged. The car was a Porsche Boxster. The problem is, those two are virtually indistinguishable when shown from the front. Wikipedia says they have identical hoods, headlights, and front fenders. I think they're easier to tell apart from behind. The archive doesn't have the actual picture, so we can't assess it.

Reversing that ruling would put Darren ahead by $700 going into a triple get FJ.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I suspect it is more likely that the ruling made on the $1000 question in Directors in the game he lost http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2083. They may have hedged their decision there: allowing Kate to win but also letting Darren come back.

Just conjecture of course - I'll let the game historians check their parchment.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

boson wrote:I suspect it is more likely that the ruling made on the $1000 question in Directors in the game he lost http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2083. They may have hedged their decision there: allowing Kate to win but also letting Darren come back.
I suppose that's possible. But isn't the show usually more subtle when it messes with causality and the space-time continuum?

[Edit: Just a note from Opus of the Future to say that apparently they've altered the past once again and now this post makes me look stupid and illiterate.]
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

My parchment shows I did not see the 2/27/01 game and I made no note before or after for what caused the preemption.

That means I cannot check the tape for Alex's remarks on Darren coming back.

The Porsche clue was in the 2001 game when Darren came back, so I don't understand what seeing the clue would prove.

The Zemeckis ruling seems like the best place to cause an invite back.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote:My parchment shows I did not see the 2/27/01 game and I made no note before or after for what caused the preemption.

The Porsche clue was in the 2001 game when Darren came back, so I don't understand what seeing the clue would prove.

Agreed, the DJ round would have ended with Darren $3,500, Kate $3,400. Then they gave her an extra $2,000 before FJ, easy clue, double get and she is the winner. Darren could certainly make the argument, and maybe he did, that if the scores had been correct, he would have been buzzing more aggressively on the last few clues trying to catch up, and might have made different clue selections when he did have control. Say he still gets the $200 clue in "The Director's Chair", maybe instead of going to $200 in "European History", he instead jumps lower in the category where the unrevealed DD must have been hiding. Of course if they had ruled Kate's response correct initially, he wouldn't have gotten $1,000 for rebounding her initial neg, so he would have been even farther behind. By my count, it would have been $4,800 to $2,300 if Kate was ruled correct on clue #19. I don't see it being very likely in this case that Darren enters FJ with the lead, but there is certainly no way to be certain.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:My parchment shows I did not see the 2/27/01 game and I made no note before or after for what caused the preemption.

Crap. It totally did not register for me that the April games were in 2000 and thus 10 months earlier rather than 2 months later. I think you're right about the Zemeckis ruling.

I'd be interested in seeing the picture that went with the Porsche Boxster clue in his 2001 game. I wonder if he got rooked on that.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote:The problem is, all Porsches are 100% identical.
Fixed that for ya.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Darren confirms it was the Zemeckis clue. When I asked him, he says TPTB approached him; he didn't need to appeal.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:41 pm Darren confirms it was the Zemeckis clue. TPTB approached him; he didn't need to appeal.
I guess I mentioned it to Andy and not to you when Darren said as much in the J! Contestants Facebook group in 2017. Sorry!